Shure SM58

guitargirl7

Shure SM58 mic... Is it worth purchasing for mostly recording purposes? I've heard MANY mixed reviews on this mic. I need an honest answer as to if it lives up to its hype.
If not, what mic would be worth purchasing to record that is not $3,000?

Thank you!

Short answer: Yep.

Longer Answer: You can't really go wrong with an SM58. However, virtually any dynamic mic with an XLR connector is sufficient to get you started recording. Other manufacturers (AKG, Audix, EV, Audio-Technica, and others) offer mics that are reported to be on par with and sometimes [subjectively] superior to the SM58. Some of these mics are less expensive than the 58 and some are not. The Behringer XM8500 runs about $25 and is said to be a great mic. GLS Audio offers 58 clone that runs about $30, also reported to be very useable.

If you want to buy an SM58 for recording, it's unlikely that you will regret it.

Is it worth having an SM58 for live work? Yes--it's not necessarily the best mic for purpose but it's certainly the most common.

Is it worth having an SM58 for recording? That's less certain because it depends a lot on the range of stuff you want to record and how many other mics you may have.

The SM58 is designed for close up miking of vocals. As such, the frequency response rolls off at the low end to minimise proximity effect and has a slightly harsh presence peak as you get to the top end to give vocal clarity. It's also quite lacking in sensitivity when you get more than a couple of inches away from the mic. On quieter stuff miked from farther away, you'll be struggling to get enough gain and have a slightly skewed frequency response.

Even for vocals, only a few acts actually use an SM58 in the studio. Most studio vocals you hear are recorded on a large diaphragm condenser mic even if they use an SM58 in their live act. And, even live, quite a few sound engineers only use SM58s because they're tough as nails and what everyone is used to so there aren't many arguments from the singers. In sound terms there are quite a few mics by companies like Audix and Sennheiser that can blow the SM58 away when judged subjectively. FYI, the SM58 is a 45 year old design that was radical at the time but it hasn't kept up with more modern mic designs.

So, the answer will come down to what you want to use it for and what your expectations are. Everyone should have some 58s in their mic box but, at least for me, it wouldn't be the first mic I bought for a wide range of uses.

Finally, if you DO decide to go with the SM58, beware any deals that seem too good to be true. The SM58 is likely the most counterfeited mic in the world--and any price significantly less than the norm is likely a Chinese knock off.

If its gonna be PURELY for recording, assuming you're just doing everyday stuff and you want a first mic, then I'd suggest an SM57 first as they're used as more of an instrumental mic but have been used on vocals for a grittier edge,

Basically to agree with posts above - if you want a dynamic mic for recording and will be recording more than just vocals, get the SM57. Because of the ball end on the 58, it's better suited for close-up vocals.

For studio applications I never ever use my only 58, but that's because I have re20,d112,d12,sm7b,md421 etc.

If I didn't have those my 58 would definitely be worn out.

It depends what you're doing though. It can be great for voice work, snares, guitar cabs etc.

Shure SM58 mic... Is it worth purchasing for mostly recording purposes? I've heard MANY mixed reviews on this mic. I need an honest answer as to if it lives up to its hype.
If not, what mic would be worth purchasing to record that is not $3,000?

Thank you!

3 questions, please :D

1) What's your budget?

2) What are you recording?

3) How far are you planning to take this? How deep down the rabbit hole are you planning to go, Alice? :D

3 questions, please :D

1) What's your budget?

2) What are you recording?

3) How far are you planning to take this? How deep down the rabbit hole are you planning to go, Alice? :D

OK so you don't have $3000. How much DO you have? What do you record?

For starters, I'm a singer/songwriter writing with a company in Nashville, TN, so music is pretty much my life, not just a hobby. As a career, I really want to record demos of my music. As far as what I'm recording, I would be recording just my vocals and guitar playing. I currently have m-audio fast track for guitar purposes; I just need a mic to record vocals with. My budget is unfortunately not the best. I would love to get one of those gorgeous sounding $3,000 mic's, but who doesn't? I am currently trying to buy new software too, so I truly can't afford to lay out over $200 bucks for a mic.

Thanks for all of the reply's!

Do you have any clips of your voice, or experience using other mics?
It's kinda hard to recommend an alternative because everyone's voice is different.
I have an NT1a which isn't bad at all for the price. Some of the cheaper Mxls get great rep too.

For software, take a look at reaper. It's not very expensive at all.

Do you have any clips of your voice, or experience using other mics?
It's kinda hard to recommend an alternative because everyone's voice is different.
I have an NT1a which isn't bad at all for the price. Some of the cheaper Mxls get great rep too.

For software, take a look at reaper. It's not very expensive at all.

I just started recording in December, so I've only used one other mic that I just returned. It was a standard m-audio mic that came in an Avid Vocal Studio kit. As far as software goes, I've heard about reaper from a lot of people. I'm currently questioning if I should go with reaper or PT10. In the long run, for the best quality and use of time, which do you think would be better to invest in? Just for extra info, I'm working through a Toshiba laptop.

Back