Shure SM57 vs. Sennheiser e609

SM57 or e609 to record guitar amps?

• Total voters
Why not use both of them in an X position so they pick up what the other don't. Sounds logical.

Now, this has nothing to do with sound but I love the "look" of the Sennheiser... just like battlebots, lol.

cubanorocker316 said:
what do you mean e REAL one. Crate is a great amp company. maybe he didnt wanna be the stereo-type and get a marshall, because every guitarist in the guitar playing society says that marshall is the best amp company before they even play on one.Im not saying marshall sucks, but just cause marshall is good doesnt mean crate isn't.
most guitarist dont think marshell is the best, its one of the favorites yeah but dont forget about mesieboogie genzbenz fender gibson traynor vox etc and all the boutique amps like badkatz and such. IMO, and im sure many will agree, that crate is one of the weakest amp companies. I wont say you cant get a good sound out of crate but i wouldnt go far enough to call them a great amp company, i would put them in the ibanez(though they have nice guitars) and behringer range, not unuseable but definitely not up to par with competition. the "guitar playing society" isnt obsessed with marshall, the masses of 15 years olds just starting typically are but most guitarist with a few more years relize you play the amp for the soudn you want, be it the marshall sound, or the vox sound or what

killthepixel said:
Why not use both of them in an X position so they pick up what the other don't. Sounds logical.

Now, this has nothing to do with sound but I love the "look" of the Sennheiser... just like battlebots, lol.

I use both on my Mesa Dual Rect. It's the only way to mic it. I put the 609 at the cone a couple inches away, and the 57 at the "corner" about a foot or so away. the 57 doesn't capture the low end well, and the 609 doesn't get the highs well. the combo is perfect.

Also, CRATE is not really a professional amp. They are mostly marketed at garage band age kids. I've yet to hear one that sounded "great". However, that being said, I have also believed it is not the equipment you have, but rather what you do with it.

I have an SM57, E609, i5 and a few others. Lately I have been using the i5 and the E609 on my Crate amp. I have to say people that talk bad about Crates haven't heard the Palomino series. These amps sound great! If you would have told me 2 years ago that my favorite recording amp would be a Crate I would have laughed you to scorn. The fact of the matter is if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't.

Thorguitarist said:
Right now to mic my guitar combo (Crate MX-120r) I'm using the e609 and I'm starting to think, that my amp might be giving me the poor sound. But I've been getting mixed ansewers when I ask what mic to use. I was told that the "e609 is the updated version of the SM57". Just wondering what your preferences are when micing amps (especially Distortion guitar)

It's hard to beat the Senny e609, as it sounds just like the cab does with NO eq!
I like that ALOT!

Use a DI, and the Senny, and if you like the way your cab sounds, you should like the way the 'mic' sounds! :)

scorpio01169 said:
i would have to disagree that crate is not a professional amp....many big name artist use crate amps. the thing is alot of young new players think you can just plug in a guitar and it will sound good...you gotta play with the knobs and find your sound...even with marshall you have to do that
http://www.crateamps.com/html/artist.cfm?aid=113
http://www.crateamps.com/html/artist.cfm?aid=109
http://www.crateamps.com/html/artist.cfm?aid=61

I think it's ridiculous to post up CC Deville, and the SINGER from (hed) PE (does he play guitar live?) and say that professionals use it. I mean, look at CC's quote. Joe Walsh...well...I guess there's ONE professional. Those guys got paid to say that garbage. Who else prefers crate around here?

"I like to take the Crate emblem off and put a custom one on that says CRUNCH!!!"

My Crate sounds awesome.

I've had a Crate Vintage Club 30 since 95 or 96, and it's an excellent sounding amp. All Class A tube, 12ax7s & EL84s, one 12" speaker. The clean channel sounds big and bell-like up until it breaks up around 6 or 7 (depending on how hot your pickups are) with a nice, chewy overdive, and the dirty channel gets full-on saturation when you dime the gain knob.

A friend of mine was playing through a Crate V16 all-tube and it sounded amazing with a strat and a couple pedals for a great blues sound. As for microphones, I mic my Fender Blues DeVille and my other guitarist's Blues Deluxe with e609s, and either distorted or clean the thing sounds fantastic. As one post waaay before mine pointed out, it sounds great pretty much wherever you stick it, although like any mic, it definitely has "sweet spots". I've never used the SM57, but on most sites people point out that it works very well for distorted guitars.

Playing a Heritage archtop through the DeVille with the e609 pretty much reproduces the original sound, with very little eq tweaking. Just my two cents.

I really wish folks would quit bashing the crates, cause though they make some crap (blue voodoo's, those effects loaded solid states and such) they make some great sounding amps. I have two Vintage clubs, and love the tone of them for the kind of sound I have. Not a marshall, not a fender, and For SURE not a mesa!

Anyways... In my experience, the 609 seems more crisp. Kind of lets the distortion show more detail, I tihnk is the way to put it. The 57 seems more of a mellow or possibly muddy tone. Its hard to put into words, but it doesn't give quite the deffinition in my experience. I do use both in the studio and live, and they are both gret, Just have to experiment.

I for one like the E609 as well. Both the SM57 and the E609 are tasty in my book but I really don't like either all my them selves in most cases...especially on distorted guitar material. I really like them together. They seem to compliment nicely.

I found this article and thought it was worth posting :
========================================

By George Petersen
May 14, 2004 12:00 PM

INSTRUMENT AMPLIFIER MIC

Years ago, I had the pleasure of recording guitar genius Ronnie Montrose. In anticipation of his arrival—and to save time—I set up about six different mics: condensers, tubes and dynamics. When Montrose showed up, he said that he had a favorite mic and asked if we could try that, as well. He pulled out a Sennheiser MD 409 dynamic with a flat-bar mount that slid into a slot cut into his amp, putting the mic about an inch in front of the grille and toward the edge of the speaker cone.

We tried them all, and sure enough, his mic won out over everything else! I became an instant convert to the mystic 409 cult and was greatly saddened when Sennheiser (what were they thinking?) discontinued the 409 a few years later. Later, Sennheiser came out with the Evolution 609, which resembled the original but wasn't the same.

Fortunately, with the debut of the new E609 Silver, the magic is back. Like the original, it's a side-address design so it can be simply hung over an amp, suspended by the cable (with three inches of duct tape to secure it) and be exactly in the sweet spot. With its high-SPL handling and supercardioid pattern to eliminate any bleed, this one's ready for anything.

On a variety of amps—Marshall, Fender, Ampeg, Yamaha and even funky Danelectro—the E609 Silver was spot-on, particularly when combined with a distant tube mic. The Sennheiser provided the punch, fury, growl and edge, with the room mic adding a smooth hugeness. Yeah!

But it's not just for amps: The E609 Silver was also great on bass amps, toms, trumpets and trombones. At an affordable list of $199.95, this one's a great addition to anyone's mic cabinet.

i just ordered an i5, i have a buncha 57's already, i wanna see how it sounds on guitar. i bought it mostly for snare, but ill check it out. i have never used the 609, i never caught on to the weird looking mic..

Back