Shure SM57 vs. Sennheiser e609

SM57 or e609 to record guitar amps?

• Total voters

Thorguitarist

Right now to mic my guitar combo (Crate MX-120r) I'm using the e609 and I'm starting to think, that my amp might be giving me the poor sound. But I've been getting mixed ansewers when I ask what mic to use. I was told that the "e609 is the updated version of the SM57". Just wondering what your preferences are when micing amps (especially Distortion guitar)

It's like battlebots. Some people like the ones with the saw blades, some like the ones with the flamethrowers.

Thorguitarist said:
I was told that the "e609 is the updated version of the SM57".

Untrue. The e609 is an updated version of the old Sennheiser 409. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with an SM57.

Bassman Brad said:
Untrue. The e609 is an updated version of the old Sennheiser 409. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with an SM57.

I meant as the lead guitar recording mic. Not as in the product line, I'm aware that Sennheiser and Shure are different companys.

I like/use both the SM57 and E609 (depending on the sound I want)... and, my favorite amp mic is the MD421. PS... I'm not a big fan of Crate amps other than the little Taxi... and even then, only because it's battery powered.

SM57 v. e609

I'm going to qualify my vote:

(1) Guitar cabs only, live ensemble stage recordings, small stages, close backlines: e609

(2) Multiple usage (not only for guitar cabs): SM57 (MD421 better)

(3) Studio cabs, live solo cabs: MD 421 (I have to agree with DJL)

Paj
8^)

boingoman said:
It's like battlebots. Some people like the ones with the saw blades, some like the ones with the flamethrowers.

Hey, you just wanted to work battlebots into a post somehow! I'm on to you...

On subject, maybe not what you want to hear, but they're right...check out some new amps. I'll agree with DJL here...I love my 421 on guitar cab. It makes an electric guitar sound like an electric guitar...that's the best way I can put it.

I hated the 421... moght have been broken though since everybody lieks it so much. On vocals it was great but it msounded like fizzy high pitched crap on my cab...

i really think you cannot tell sound by the internet. Buy second hand and sell if you don;t like, I didn;t lose money and bought sold quite a few...

I hated the 421... moght have been broken though since everybody lieks it so much. On vocals it was great but it msounded like fizzy high pitched crap on my cab...

I'm with you, dude. I may not have given it a fair chance, though. Maybe it just has to be placed farther back than a 57 or something. Like it on toms of course. I tell you a mic I was testing the other night and just purchased from a friend is the Beyerdynamic M69TG. Pretty far from standard for micing distorted guitar, but I kind of dig it so far. It sounds a lot bigger than the old 57 and not as harsh if you point it straight on. I just won't be sure that it doesn't sound TOO big in a mix until I track a few songs with it. Sounds like a promising alternative, though! I might use it for my live vocal mic too.

Yeah, all i've heard is bad news about crates..I guess there sound isnt bad but for recording they just don't get the job done. I've been looking into Mesa Boogies but i dont really have the $$$

See if you can find a used BlueVoodoo60 if you want a different cheap Crate to record. It can sound decent for some things through the right cab.

Burn the Create, buy a Boogie! I know it's a lot of money, but it really is worth EVERY penny. If money is really a problem, check out the Boogie V-twin pedal. It's a preamp in a pedal! Can pick it up used on E-bay for about $200.

love the 57, but..

been using the sm57 to mic cabs for a while and it works nicely once you get it pointed at just the right spot. However, I just picked up an E609 and I am very pleased. I just slapped in front of the speaker and I was quite happy with the results (compared with what I've been geting from the 57s). I'm certainly not a pro, and I'm sure that some folks will be rabid in their disagreement, but I like the E609 because it seems more idiot-proof (only an idiot like me would know). Also, getting the new mic allowed me to put one of my 57s on a tom where I previousley had a crummy clip-on.

Anyway, I used the Sennheiser on a 4x12 and a small combo amp. I think that this mic could be useful to someone who wants to spend less time experimenting with placement, and more time rocking out.

Back