Shure ksm44--Preamp

c9-2001

i just fell in love with this mic.. and soon i'll have one..
but my question is, what kinda preamp should i look at to make this mic shine.. the budget is kinda tight.. i'll say preamp no more that $800
right now i limited myself to $400 and came up with:

Aphex 207
HHB Radius 50
Focusrite Penta

today when i used the mic in a session he had a Peavey vmp2 preamp with it and it was a great session..
i'm on a budget of...lets say NO MORE than $1500 total

at a low price.. how would a RNP work? i know its a (really nice preamp)
and for the money i don't know what can beat it.. let alown i can get the RNP/RNC combo for $650

Nice mic..I've never used one of these but..... www.adesignsaudio.com or the Great River single channel which the model eludes me right now{someone will chime in I'm sure}.. The KSM44 is kinda on the nuteral side of things{IMHO} It can take some coloration nicely..Just one opinion..Good luck bud

Don

they seem hard to find on the net.. i can't find them anywhere...how much do they cost? when i called the studio yesterday they said about $800 for one new..

tdukex said:
How about a Grace 101? About $600.
after using the grace vs the RNP, i like the rnp's sound over the grace for vox.
i think i'ma get the rnp/rnc combo for the mic.. its only gonna be used for vox. i may track a violin and or a flute here and there

c9-2001 said:
they seem hard to find on the net.. i can't find them anywhere...how much do they cost? when i called the studio yesterday they said about $800 for one new..
Keep watching eBay. I'm sure one will pop up before long. Be sure and search Peavey Peavy AND Pevey as folks sometimes miss-spell it.

i like the rnp.. i'm sure it'll sound good.. so i'ma get the rnp with the rnc.. i can get the combo cheap...under $550...so i can't beat that deal.

i got a call about a great deal on a grace 101....
i happen to look over my EM personal studio 2004 buyer's guide and spec wise the grace is the better pre, though the rnp is 2ch..

its between those 2 pres.. i've never used either with a KSM44.. i got to use the grace with a tlm193 and it just didn't shine for me.. but perhaps with the ksm44 it may...
between those 2 pres.. for tracking r&b, hiphop vox.. some poets too.. which would you get.. i trust you all will make sure i don't products that will hinder my production.. so i want some opinions

c9-2001 said:
i like the rnp.. i'm sure it'll sound good.. so i'ma get the rnp with the rnc.. i can get the combo cheap...under $550...so i can't beat that deal.

Well, in that case, then might I instead suggest the RNP?

c9-2001 said:
i got a call about a great deal on a grace 101....
i happen to look over my EM personal studio 2004 buyer's guide and spec wise the grace is the better pre, though the rnp is 2ch..

its between those 2 pres.. i've never used either with a KSM44.. i got to use the grace with a tlm193 and it just didn't shine for me.. but perhaps with the ksm44 it may...
between those 2 pres.. for tracking r&b, hiphop vox.. some poets too.. which would you get.. i trust you all will make sure i don't products that will hinder my production.. so i want some opinions

I've got the Grace and a 44...To me and this is opinon only..The combo is too nuteral{for vox} unless you put something else in the chain..I've put a VLA in the chain just to "mess" it up a little..
Maybe you can find the Peavey,because if you dug the sound of that combo the Grace will not give you that tone/sound and most likely either will the RNP{just guessing never used it}..Good luck

Don

Henri Devill said:
I've got the Grace and a 44...To me and this is opinon only..The combo is too nuteral{for vox} unless you put something else in the chain...
I was going to say…

As much as you liked the Peavey, I hope you know that the Grace is probably at the opposite end of the ‘color’ spectrum – that is, it has none!

Speaking from my own experience: Get something you’ve personally tried and liked. You’ll be way happier than going the guessing route.

well i guess with the vmp2 being a tube pre it is gonna have a different color than the rnp or grace would.. so i need to find a vmp2 or find a nice tube pre under $800.. the preamp i want cost to much(Groove tubes Vipre)

i'ma shop around and see what comes up.. any suggestions if i can't come across the vmp2?

c9-2001 said:
i'ma shop around and see what comes up.. any suggestions if i can't come across the vmp2?
Just hang out for a couple of weeks and keep checking eBay. I did a search there and, wouldn’t you know it, this is the only time I’ve ever searched “VMP2” and there WASN’T one! Anyway, unless you have to have one tomorrow or something like that, I’d wait it out.

On the other hand, the TL Audio might not be a bad bet. Buy it from someone with a 30 day return policy and you can always return it if you don’t like it.

Back