Should I go analog, reel to reel, TEAC 3340?

Hi Adrian:

I'm a Sansui enthusiast- but for their amplifiers, receivers, and tuners, not so much their recorders. And I believe that model isnt a multitrack machine anyway.

I stil think this model is the one to get, its a superb machine:

Attachments

• TeacA3440.jpg
    TeacA3440.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 61
Hi Adrian:

I'm a Sansui enthusiast- but for their amplifiers, receivers, and tuners, not so much their recorders. And I believe that model isnt a multitrack machine anyway.

I stil think this model is the one to get, its a superb machine:

Thanks for the tip. Do you agree with the others that it's too risky to buy from Ebay, in general?

re. last message

Ok that was just me feeling impatient/tempted by the nice-looking recorder I was eyeing on Ebay :rolleyes:, which I've now forsaken, CJ will be happy to know. Saw pics of broken machines, stories of woe on this forum, and will only order sth. as a very last resort now. Thanks for all the advice - think I'm leaning twds a 414mkII which I think I can get, and will be a good starting tool I think, while continuing to hunt for local stuff. Later,
Adrian

Adrian:

Check the seller's feedback record beforehand to see that all of his previous transactions were good and the buyers were satisfied. If you buy, use a credit card, so that if there's a problem, you have protection and can dispute the charge (compared to using a debit card and the money is automatically deducted from your account).

Try and speak with the seller on the phone so that he sounds normal and understands the importance of how to pack & ship a recorder properly.

If you follow these steps, it should minimize the chances of anything going wrong.

I still ship across the world with Fed Ex World Wide, smooth as silk, all forms filled up before shipping and delivery to the buyers door without any hassel at all.
UK and Canada are the only country's I had problems with when it comes to heavy items.
One thing that's surprise me when shipping US-Mail across the border, it takes longer time then shipping to Australia, wonder why ?

You have problems because of the Canadian government. Shipping to the U.S. is easy. Do it the other way and it is a pain in the but. As for overseas, everthing is Air Mail. So ya way quicker. I have shipped to Europe and Australia and they have recieved it in 3 days. To the U.S. a couple of weeks. Because it goes by truck.:(

Second thought. How easy is it for you to get cassette tapes? (not normal bias but high bias) Where I live they don't even sell the cassettes you need for a porta studio. I had one and I got rid of it because using normal bias cassettes was hard on the recording head. I went through a couple of heads once I tried normal bias cassettes. I asked the tech what was doing it and he asked me what type of tape I was using. He told me to use high bias or type II tapes. The normal bias is abrasive on the heads. Just a thought.

Cassettes

Er, I have no idea if you can get high bias cassettes (I'm out of the loop, no pun intendened :rolleyes:) here. Can you order them online anywhere does anyone know?

You have problems because of the Canadian government. Shipping to the U.S. is easy. Do it the other way and it is a pain in the but. As for overseas, everthing is Air Mail. So ya way quicker. I have shipped to Europe and Australia and they have recieved it in 3 days. To the U.S. a couple of weeks. Because it goes by truck.:(

I agree, never had any problems to other country's, Aussie > 5-6 days with US-mail, Finland >5 days. :)

Personally, the one thing I have experienced re: getting my reel-to-reel from Canada to the US, is the fee UPS slaps you, the buyer, with; some border processing nonsense. Had I known, I would have asked for a different shipper.

My machine was packed correctly. It weighs 72lbs and came to the US without a scratch. It can be done. But you have to be careful about who you are dealing with, for all the reasons mentioned in the posts.

C.

How easy is it for you to get cassette tapes? (not normal bias but high bias)

As you're in Canada, check your local London Drugs location. They usually carry type II cassettes and the one near me, stocks a shit load.:eek::D;)

This may be a dumb question, but knowing very little, :confused:, I'm going to ask it. I think I want to record a mono demo (yes I'm weird) - does this mean I wouldn't be able to mix it properly or monitor it or something on the 414, according to the above quote? Thanks,
Adrian

Adrian,

No, you're not weird for wanting to record in mono. Many great albums were done this way. You would be able to mix / monitor properly on the 414. Don't worry. Here's a nice article you might wish to check out:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar01/articles/tascamporta.htm

Tapes etc.

CJ,
So I have a mint 414mkII on the way! Excited about it. That article that you posted is actually the one I quoted from, too:). Maybe it just means that if you record in stereo, you can't monitor in mono? Don't know. But it is a good article for sure.

I don't suppose there is a Walgreens' in Canada huh? Here in the US, they stock the XL-II tapes by the dozens. Every now and then I'll go wipe out a store. The look on the cashier's face is priceless.:D

CJ,
So I have a mint 414mkII on the way! Excited about it. That article that you posted is actually the one I quoted from, too:). Maybe it just means that if you record in stereo, you can't monitor in mono? Don't know. But it is a good article for sure.

Man, I'm really excited for you! The 414mkII was my very first entry into analog multitracking! I was able to record a good amount of songs on it which sound really good. If you use / maintain it correctly and use good tapes, you'll have a nice 4 tracker capable of a lot and a great beginning to analog.

Monitoring in mono or stereo, if I recally correct, is just about using the panning knobs. Don't sweat it.:)

Hey, thanks, and thanks for all your advice. Yeah that's what I thought about monitoring, so that's good. RE. tapes, I'm sure I can find some if I phone around, if not there's always Ebay. Probably will throw out a few more questions when I get the thing and start using it (but will start another thread if so). Just need to get some mics, and then...analog recording, here I come!
cheers,
Adrian

Teac A3340S reel to reel

Hi, I'm brand new to this page but I do own a Teac A3340S R2R. I bought mine for the same purpose, to make demos. So far I haven't been able to get anything good, so I bought the Teac model 2A mixer but now I can't find anyone to tell me how to hook it up. The A3340 is a fairly complicated machine on the surface but it's really just record lead vocals (example) on channel one, rewind to beginning switch to channel two and add harmony etc. and so on with the other two channels. I've been told to get a "good" sound you will need to record with a mixer, but as I said I don't know, I hope this gives you at least a little info.

Back