Should I go analog, reel to reel, TEAC 3340?

:(too much hassel with custom and fee's for the buyer.
Not sure if you had the same experience but UPS and Fed Ex ground takes a big chunk of money for the service.
Only smaller packages with US Mail flows thru across the border I think.
What is your best idea when shipping bigger items ?

:(too much hassel with custom and fee's for the buyer.
Not sure if you had the same experience but UPS and Fed Ex ground takes a big chunk of money for the service.
Only smaller packages with US Mail flows thru across the border I think.
What is your best idea when shipping bigger items ?

IMHO, if the inconvenience is mostly on the buyer's side then it comes with the territory and the buyer should know of the additional fees involved. I do understand, however, that there are customs forms to fill out by the seller and that could be a pain, so in that sense I'd understand you not wanting to ship across the border. Do you not ship across the ocean either? Is it as bad, customs wise, shipping there as well?

As far as customs, yes, fedex and ups do charge a "brokerage fee" with the addition of taxes which go to the government. It is steep but it is something to be expected and the buyer should know this and if they don't, they didn't do their homework. It's not your fault.

I still think fedex is best, when it comes to typical shipping ways but I also think the buyer paying for an overnight service (I know very costly) would limit the package in transit and thus possible damage.

I now personally believe, however, that, in addition to packing as you or I would pack, in a typical box, a heavy boxed item should definitely be strapped to a skid and shipped via freight. That way no package is tossed or dropped but rather a skid truck / forklift handles it. No conveyor belt is involved.

Yes, you right about the extra brokerage fee, but the custom seems to have a lazy attitude when open packages to check for drugs etc, but not sealing them up again properly. I don't know, just had bad luck across the border.:(
I still ship across the world with Fed Ex World Wide, smooth as silk, all forms filled up before shipping and delivery to the buyers door without any hassel at all.
UK and Canada are the only country's I had problems with when it comes to heavy items.
One thing that's surprise me when shipping US-Mail across the border, it takes longer time then shipping to Australia, wonder why ?

I still ship across the world with Fed Ex World Wide, smooth as silk, all forms filled up before shipping and delivery to the buyers door without any hassel at all.

That's interesting Rolf. It may surprise you but when I lived in Nigeria, Africa for a couple of years I recall mail being a lot better than in Canada. Without a doubt Canada customs can be horrible and so can the quality of postal / courier service. :eek:

I agree, not sure why Canada and UK has more problems then all other country's.
Maybe we should be postal workers instead with a new attitude:D

Shippin etc.

Hi Texas,

Thanks for the advice, and too bad you don't ship here :(. I ordered a futon from the states over the summer, and the customs fees came to $240, which was insane. MAybe they're trying to stop us buying so much stuff from the States due to the high CAnadian/low US dollar. So much for "Free trade" :rolleyes:!
2 people have mentioned the Tascam 22-4, so maybe I'll try to find one of those if I can. What's your opinion on portastudios? Is it better to just go digital than cassette, or are there any really good cassette units worth getting/trying to get? Torin, above, recommended the following: TASCAM 424, 424II, 424III, 464, 246 or the only reel to reel built into a portastudio format - the well regarded TASCAM 388.
Take care,
Adrian

2 people have mentioned the Tascam 22-4, so maybe I'll try to find one of those if I can. What's your opinion on portastudios? Is it better to just go digital than cassette, or are there any really good cassette units worth getting/trying to get? Torin, above, recommended the following: TASCAM 424, 424II, 424III, 464, 246 or the only reel to reel built into a portastudio format - the well regarded TASCAM 388.
Take care,
Adrian

Adrian,

I thought about it some and I'd recommend, for a person in your situation, to get your feet wet, initially, with a 4 track cassette portastudio, that you can still buy new. This will get you recording on analog at once. Obviously you wouldn't be in the analog only forum if you wanted to go digital. I still prefer cassette over any digital. If you get yourself a 414 mkII or 424 mkIII (which I started with), you'll be blown away how easy it is to record and how great it'll sound. Start out with one of the 2, make sure they're still new or mint and in the original box packaging. Have the seller double box it (wrap the original box thickly and thightly in large bubble wrap, prior to placing an outer box and fill voids with paper so that nothing moves). These portastudios are light so that way it won't get damaged. Buying new and having it packed that way insures that you will get to record asap, rather than tinkering with a "faulty" or "damaged" unit. Alternatively, call some music stores in your area and ask if they have one of these portastudios in stock or even a rental. Open reel is nice and so are some vintage portastudios but unless you know the real (and high) risks of buying sight unseen and having an item damaged in transit, don't do it. Keep a lookout locally and even call some studios in your area, speak with the owner / enginner. Till you get something "better", get yourself a brand new 414 or 424.

I would recommend the A-3440 and matching Model 2A mixing board with MB-20 meter bridge. They appear fairly regularly on Ebay, so you dont have to go nuts looking for one, or getting another in the future as a potential parts resource.

The A-3440 is a great recorder, a bit more modern-looking than the previous 3340. Its built like a tank, more substantial than the 1980's followup Tascam 34. The grey front panel, vinyl-wood side panels, its just a beautiful machine! And the Model 2 or 2A mixer is also a very cool unit that can be had for not much more than $100, if even that much depending on how many are on Ebay at any given time, so its a true bargain.

Otherwise, to go digital, I'd say buy a new Tascam DP-01FX/CD with the built in 40 G drive, listings are on Ebay.

Hey CJ,

What's better, the 414 or 424?

In features, the 424 MKIII but both sound the same. Best thing is for you to visit TASCAM's site and download the manuals to both recorders and see how they both differ. The main difference is in the features so you'll have to choose in that sense. If there is a small price difference between the two and they were in similar condition, I'd get the 424 MKIII but if you can get a 414 MKII for cheap, then you can't go wrong either.

To recommend a certain recorder, like the many popular TEAC / TASCAM open reel designs, is fine but I'd strongly recommend restricting one's self to local deals, even if that means not buying something you've seen on eBay (that you want) but that has to be shipped.

I agree with Cj about buying something without testing first.
As a reel fanatic my knowledge about 414 or 424 is very slim, so I leave you guys at my 2 cents of advice.:rolleyes:

BeatleFred = that name rings a bell from the past, another forum maybe ?

Decisions...

So I'm calling radio stations now, talked with one guy today who said they might have some stuff and will get back to me. There's nothing in buy&sell, so I think my only other option is EBay. Considering what I've read on the forum from you guys re. shipping nightmares, I'm hesitant to get a r2r there. But maybe a portastudio would be less risky shipping-wise, and I saw quite a few there. I really don't think I want to go digital!

I just got a "second chance" offer on the 3340 I bid on last week. I can have it for $110 + shipping, but the guy doesn't know how to work (or says he doesn't) it so can't guarantee that it works, though it looks great in the pictures:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1446&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

But maybe it's too much for me right now in terms of hassle. I'm still quite ill with CFS, in bed most of the day, but I'm playing a bit and want to start laying down a few tracks, a good sign I think :D. Hard decision, bc. I'd really like the great sound that I know r2r can give. Also I think I'm influenced by the book I read, "Home Recording for Musicians" by Craig Anderton, the cover of which shows him sitting in his very 70's-looking, heavily carpeted living room next to his gleaming, shiny 3340 - made me say "I want one!"

Anywho, scuse for rambling, and thanks again for all the advice - I really appreciate it, and feel like I've learned a lot. I think I know as much as I can to make a decision now (though may pop back for another question or two :) ). Later,

Adrian

Adrian,

Pass on this 3340, on eBay. Again, don't get tempted 'cause you most likely will regret it one way or another. The ONLY way to buy IMO is either local or from a trusted source who won't sell you junk and who'll pack well. Keep calling radio, tv and studio places and music stores in your area.

Yes, it's much easier to pack / ship a portastudio then it is an open reel deck. Just make sure you either know how the seller packs or tell him how to do it. Make sure he's open to your suggestions. After all you're paying him.

I also have that Craig Anderton book you mention. A great read!:)

I agree with Cj about buying something without testing first.
As a reel fanatic my knowledge about 414 or 424 is very slim, so I leave you guys at my 2 cents of advice.:rolleyes:

BeatleFred = that name rings a bell from the past, another forum maybe ?

Former moderator of the Exclusively Sansui forum on Audio Karma.

Current moderator of the message board on www.sansui.us

Sansui

Hey BeatleFred,

So I put a Wanted ad in the buy&sell and got a message today from a guy who has a Sansui SD (or SV, couldn't make it out) 5050, with about 50 tapes he thought, in great condition. He didn't know if it was 4 track, or what. Any enlightement?
Thanks,
Adrian

I'm not sure, but the SD5050 seems to be a consumer stereo unit. You seem to be looking for a high-speed multitrack so it's probably not what you're after.

414, 424

Hi,
I was just reading about the 414 compared to the 424, and saw the following quote:

"Like the 424, the 414 MkII has two effects sends, which is quite generous for a budget machine (effects would be returned via the two stereo channels), and again one doubles as a tape monitoring control. The monitoring system is even simpler than the 424's, though quite sufficient: all one really loses is the option to check a mix in mono."

This may be a dumb question, but knowing very little, :confused:, I'm going to ask it. I think I want to record a mono demo (yes I'm weird) - does this mean I wouldn't be able to mix it properly or monitor it or something on the 414, according to the above quote? Thanks,
Adrian

Back