Seems like mics are......................

chessrock said:
Kept: Blue Dragonfly, Rode NT2, CAD M179

Ditched: Behringer B1, 797 Audio / Studio Projects C1, Marshall mxl v67, Marshall mxl 2003 / v93.

Of the ones that got the boot, I rather liked the 797 Audio C1. All in all, though, it was too much like my Rode NT2. I kept the NT2 because I was more familiar with it. The Behringer sucked (insert favorite rodent) penis. I liked both the v67 and v93 at first, but grew to hate them over time and sold them also.

Hey, where did this "797 Audio/Studio Projects C1" come from? I thought it was just the "STudio Projects C1"?Are we changing format here? What gives?

acorec said:
Hey, where did this "797 Audio/Studio Projects C1" come from? I thought it was just the "STudio Projects C1"?Are we changing format here? What gives?
797 audio makes the C1 for studio projects

c9-2001 said:
797 audio makes the C1 for studio projects

I wonder why (not really) DJ and chess are careful to point out the origen of SP mics, and not Rode/chinese/assembled australia, MXL/chinese, BLUE/latvian, CAD/chinese/assembled usa (some models), et al?

It's just their not so subtle way of continuing their war with Alan. :D

crazydoc said:

It's just their not so subtle way of continuing their war with Alan. :D

I think it too bad really. I like having business owners on the forum. Even if they are "salemen" of sorts. They can still answer some questions that the rest of us can only guess at. I miss seeing Alan and Brent around here. OK, so they build cheap stuff.... Wait, I like cheaps stuff. :D

acorec said:
Read the label on the mic... 797 Audio / Studio Projects C1 is the name of the mic.

crazydoc said:
I wonder why (not really) DJ and chess are careful to point out the origen of SP mics, and not Rode/chinese/assembled australia, MXL/chinese, BLUE/latvian, CAD/chinese/assembled usa (some models), et al?

You mean like the Feilo mxl v67 ? Oh I've been mentioning that one, too. :D

theletterq said:
Back on the topic, it seems the ECM8000 were mentioned all the time some while ago and now, pretty much never...
Maybe everybody has theirs now. :)

It's a flat omni/measurment mic that folks use for room mics, drum overheads and some close mic'ing applications, but there have apparently been self-noise problems that some feel makes the mic unusable. I've had no noise problems with them myself, but my standards are pretty low.

Originally posted by crazydoc

Does 797 Audio made both the Studio Projects and Nady mic's... or just the Studio Projects mic's?

GT said:
So no one has answered my question.

Is the C1 still the greatest mic of all time, like it was when it first came out? Or was it just another flash in the pan?

GT

The C1 was never the greatest mic of all time, but it blew a lot of people away - including me - from the performance you could get from a $200 mic - and for that I still don't think another mic has come out in that price range that is as good. So yes, to me, from someone who's been using just about every budget mic on the market for nearly a year now - the C1 is still the shit.

And actually, I still would compare the C1 to certain German mics, and still find after over two year of use that it is often better than the TLM 103 for many applications.

Since the release of the SP B1, I actually think it's a more exciting mic with more uses. The C1 - which is more colored - is a great vox mic, and the B1 - which is more neutral - is a great instrument mic.

They are certainly not the only mics available, but still, IMO, no other manufacturer offers the price vs performance value you'll get from either of those two mics.

The Behringer ECM8000 is still an exceptional omni mic and a no-brainer at $39 each. You wanna' get into the best/least expensive tube mic, get the MXL V69ME.

Another inexpensive mic on the horizon is the Red5 Audio RV8, which is available directly from Red5 Audio in the UK, but will soon be available from dealers in the US.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Last edited:
Dot said:
The C1 was never the greatest mic of all time, but it blew a lot of people away - including me - from the performance you could get from a $200 mic - and for that I still don't think another mic has come out in that price range that is as good. So yes, to me, from someone who's been using just about every budget mic on the market for nearly a year now - the C1 is still the shit.

They are certainly not the only mics available, but still, IMO, no other manufacturer offers the price vs performance value you'll get from either of those two mics.

Yeah ... what he said. You don't have to be hyping the C1 to simply say that it's a more than decent mic. For $200 it has no equal (IMO) at it's price point as a (singer's) vocal mic.

DJL said:
Originally posted by crazydoc

Does 797 Audio made both the Studio Projects and Nady mic's... or just the Studio Projects mic's?
Seem's like I read that they make Nady, but I'm not sure. They DO make Behringer's mics and no telling who else (ADK maybe?)

Flatpicker said:
How does the M179 compare to all the others? I briefly demo'd it once and really liked it. What sources do you use it for?

Flatter response; smoother, less hype, etc. Very extended response in both directions, extremely quiet, versatile.

I use it as an all-purpose utility mic. Probably gets the most use on bass guitar amps/cabs (Flat response all the way down to like 10 hz). For vocals, I pull it out when there are possible harshness or sibilance issues with another mic.

Good transient response for a large-diaphragm; sounds great on drums and percussion, also.

Back