Safe European Home - The Clash cover by The Greg

Good stuff! The Clash is rad. Can complain about the mix. Its funny hearing a song from the late 70's with 2013 production. EDIT: I would love to see this in the mix this. I would love to do some mixing when I have some free time. I'll test those impulse verbs you sent me. Also we have the same cable box Greg!

Haha, thanks a lot. I guess I'll put the tracks up tomorrow.

Sooooo Good. Did you track the entire song yourself? MAD talent - for a hack and all :)

Seriously, there is not a thing wrong with the song and you did it mad justice.

Very nice Greg. I didn't know the original, so I had a quick listen and it certainly does it justice. The production sounds nice and full and the vocals are cool.

Only thing that stuck out for me was that the fade back in at 3.30 sounds a bit unnatural - those rhythm chords start too quietly there to my ears before coming back up to volume. Love the interplay between those two guitar lines though.

Hey you are good at this stuff! Did I ever tell you how much I love the Clash?
Thanks a lot dude. I think you and I have talked about The Clash before. They were fucking awesome. I remember an interview Johnny Ramone did one time in which he was listing all of his contemporaries back in the day and how flawed they were. Blondie was disco, Johnny Thunders was a junkie, etc. Then he got to The Clash and paused and said they were the one band that gave the Ramones a run for their money. That's pretty high praise from that guy.

Very nice Greg. I didn't know the original, so I had a quick listen and it certainly does it justice. The production sounds nice and full and the vocals are cool.

Only thing that stuck out for me was that the fade back in at 3.30 sounds a bit unnatural - those rhythm chords start too quietly there to my ears before coming back up to volume. Love the interplay between those two guitar lines though.

Thanks Rob. That fade out/in at the end is the one thing I tried to really get right. At least the timing of it anyway. I just sent everything that needed to fade out to a group track and automated it. I tried to make it match the original version as far as where it started to fade and then come back in. It comes back in way harder than it goes out, and I get the impression it was just some guy at a board jamming a bunch of faders at once by hand. I just did it with automation. I'm just happy I got it as good as I did. I never automate anything. :o

Sounds really good. Your cymbals sound much better, did you change something ?

I hear a bit of the high end on the vocals (at the end) being masked. I know you dont like sizzly vocals, but I just wonder if you could balance that a little.

Overall sounds great, clear, punchy, kick and bass are linked up perfectly.

Thanks for sharing it, enjoyed the listen!

Love The Clash, they brought me out of my Prog Rock phase violently. This recording is bewst described as "delicious", the sounds and tone on each track are just executed so well it's a sonic smorgasbord.

On another note, I have developed solid respect for you and several other of the "pilars" of this forum, but to see my Iggs on your studio TV just sends it over the top. Great job man.

Sounds really good. Your cymbals sound much better, did you change something ?

I hear a bit of the high end on the vocals (at the end) being masked. I know you dont like sizzly vocals, but I just wonder if you could balance that a little.

Overall sounds great, clear, punchy, kick and bass are linked up perfectly.

Thanks for sharing it, enjoyed the listen!
Thanks for checking it. The end vocals are just lower. I think I could just bring em up and they'll sound like the rest. Nothing different with the cymbals themselves. Different mics and mic placement.

Outstanding job, really....

Sounds very good.
Thanks guys. :D

Love The Clash, they brought me out of my Prog Rock phase violently. This recording is bewst described as "delicious", the sounds and tone on each track are just executed so well it's a sonic smorgasbord.

On another note, I have developed solid respect for you and several other of the "pilars" of this forum, but to see my Iggs on your studio TV just sends it over the top. Great job man.
Cool, thanks a lot. :)

Great, they sound alot better. I use Adam A7x X-art tweeters and the cymbals sound really good. What mics did you switch to ?

I got an Audix DP-7 drum pack. The overheads are Audix ADX51's and I put them higher and wider than I normally do.

cLASH cover

really not a fan of the clash, but that was probably better than anything they did. nice job.. good vocs, guitars. good use a little more bottom imo

My favorite Clash tune!! Good job.
Thanks a lot. It's one of my favorites of theirs too. I especially like the line "I'd stay and be a tourist but I can't take the gun play". It obviously still rings true today, literally, today. Americans can't stop shooting each other. :facepalm:

really not a fan of the clash, but that was probably better than anything they did. nice job.. good vocs, guitars. good use a little more bottom imo
Okay thanks for checking it out. :)

And it's definitely not better than anything they ever did. :eek:

Back