Running Away

o0Charlie0o

Its got some clicks and pops problems, my sound card is starting to crap out on me... That or my computer is just getting to slow to handle everything now. I don't know. There are also some missaligned tom hits. I guess this kinda has a tool feel to it for anyone that is interested.

Great Start. Don't call this one done yet.

The vocals in the verses are waay too low. "When it all ended..." is the first part I can make out at all....the verses are just buried.

The only other thing holding this back, in my opinion, are the distorted rhythm gits...they're too overdriven...like to the point of fuzz almost, and I don't think that's really the effect you're going for...

The get a LOT better during the 'I have always told you' part, mainly b/c a riff is carrying it...provides some definition to the git sound.

BTW - I don't think EQ will do anything for the gits...it's a tone thing...the extra distortion is making them sound smaller.

That's my 2cents...I've gotten a good guitar tone exactly once.

The drums sound really great to me.

Personally I like the guitar tone.

The drums are real, everything on this track is me actually. Guitar is my main instrument.

Everything is recorded through a dbx 386 mic preamp as far as guitar bass kick snare and toms go... Overheads are put through a mixer then into the other inputs on my maudio delta something soundcard.

Then i mix in cool edit

I use a groove tubes gt 55 large diaphram condensor for vocals, shure sm57 for guitar and bass and snare and toms

beta 52 for kick

oktava 12 for overheads

o0Charlie0o said:
Well i mean thanks for your input, but i think out of everything the guitar is not something i'd modify.
No, lol...you misunderstood me totally...which is my fault for my snippy reply there.

This thread was buried on page 2 with zero replies, and I've heard your stuff before, and I think you have real talent...and for the life of me, I can't figure out why your stuff just slides right off the front page without so much as one response.

And then your reply was like...I RECORD WITH THIS STUFF. Well, lol...awesome. I don't give 2 dicks about whether you take my shitty advice or not, lol...I know next to nothing. I was just trying to get you involved in the board, that's all.

So as a mere point of fucking etiquette, when somebody takes the time to listen and offer opinions, say "thanks." You don't have to mean it, man, lol

...it's just music.

Sorry...

I do mean this thanks though!

Thanks for thinking i have talent :)

Anyways, the reply with what i record with was directed towards the other guy.

I do remember you showing interest in some of my earlier stuff. Do you have anything i can hear of yours?

Bringing up the opening vocals is the only constructive criticism I can offer.

I have to agree with Chris, plenty of talent here, very worth listening to. I'm very fond of the clean guitar track, loved the effect you used.

So are you shopping your stuff around?

Hi there,

A lover of Prog. Rock - hey? At least that's what I saw Tool described as most recently...... ;)

Seriously though - nice song and some fine layers of interest happening in there. I agree with the general comments about the vocal level being too low.

Guitars sound a little thin and trebly to my ears. I think they could do with more bite. Not necessarily distortion, just a little darker tone perhaps.

Bass doesn't seem to be pushing a lot of energy - I would have liked to hear it pumping out that rhythm a bit more.

Drums sound pretty good and complete as a set but together they also need more low end. Maybe darken the snare to give it more "whoompf", for lack of a better word.

The song certainly takes me on a journey, however I would like to have the various sight-seeing spots highlighted to me with the appropriate hook-laden spotlight occassionally shone upon the way.

:) Q.

I really like this song "NO" actually!

I go through certain moods as far as music goes, and this one has fit itself into my mood very well.
So is this your voice? If so I like it, if not well then i guess it doesn't matter does it :) hehe

The thing about that song and any song is i think who ever eq'd it (i'm assuming you) did a much better job at carving all the frequencies. Because you can hear every instrument very clearly, and I have problems doing that.

So I think one of the final verdicts of my song is to bring those vocals up.

Thanks to all 3 or 4 of you that have listened and replied. I do appreciate it, it's always fun to share some of my music (and mind through the lyrics) to other people.

How do you think I would go about getting a "darker tone". I never used to use mids on my guitar until my latest recordings. I found it a little easier to eq with mids. I'm using a MESA triple rec through a 4x12 rec cab.

I agree about the bass... The bass was the thing i spent the least ammount of time on. This song is for a girl, as a surprise and she was about to come over so i just needed to finish it. The things we do for girls these days...

What spots would those be that you'd like highlighted? Anyone intersted in reading the lyrics?

Edit: Yeah we are about to start shopping around, however this will not be a song used to display the band. I tend to write all our music, but I am in no way a singer (even though i try to sing on this track). If anyone is interested though, we have a 12 song self released LP, that i fully recorded and mixed, and it was mastered by John Vestmen in Los Angeles.

just MY personal taste

but I would change the guitar sound... give 'em more definition.

The song is awesome though!

Peace...

PC

Re: just MY personal taste

PowerCouple said:
... I would change the guitar sound... give 'em more definition.

Qwerty said:
Guitars sound a little thin and trebly to my ears. I think they could do with more bite. Not necessarily distortion, just a little darker tone perhaps.

I agree with these brilliant people, lol. :D :D BUT SERIOUSLY, you have to go for your own sound, right? If the guitar sound is one that you like, go with it...just make sure it's not the systems you're playing it back on that might be coloring it to your taste. And yeah, that's me singing on "NO." Mbuster did the bass, guitars, drums, and we kinda' went back and forth via PM until we were happy with the levels and EQ. I threw in some sloppy guitar leads, and I did some final hacking in the low mids on that version you heard...thanks for checking it out...always good to know what the "critics" are doing, eh? :D

I'm quite sure my system is probably shaping it... I don't have studio monitors. I have one of those alesis 5.1 surround sound systems with a 8inch sub (except mine is logitech... they look the same) I love the sound it gives me for everything, but i know its not ideal for mixing music.

I had crappy m-audio bx8 or something monitors before this, but i couldn't stand the shitty bass response. So if i was to ever upgrade to real monitors again, I'd have to get a studio sub with it also.

Sm57 on a mesa triple rect on rect slant 4x12 cab going into a DBX 386 mic preamp

However since this song i have come across much better recording techniques using the same equipment for recording guitar... I'll probably post another song soon.

Thanks for your reply. So I guess I should probably use an SM57 to record guitar; the quality you got in Running Away, in my opinion was awesome. What interface did you use?

Back