Ronda Rousey = Mike Tyson

The Chavez-Taylor one is my favourite; one of them rare fights where both fighters were at thier peak and gave the performance of their career.

The Bowe-Golota one is interesting 'cos it just shows how much of a metal case Golota actually was.
Yeah Golata was totally un-stable, even by boxer standards. I'm also interested in watching Arturo Gatti. I've never seen anyone be able to take a beating and stay on his feet like that guy.

Its amazing when you see Gatti get up from that massive liver shot in the first Ward fight. He's clearly in agony but he forces himself back to his feat and then even starts firing back when Ward starts to punch himself out. Truely staggering human endurance.

To the critics of the brutality and long term damage that could be suffered by MMA fighters, as opposed to boxing, i've heard from some defenders of the sport.....and given the training and incredible skill displayed in the heat of the moment by a lot of MMA fighters, it's definitely a sport rather than a brutal all-out brawl for the enjoyment of the masses.....boxing is actually worse, because in boxing the competitors are forced to stand and take punches to the head for the duration of the fight. Makes sense, I reckon.

What do you think?

To the critics of the brutality and long term damage that could be suffered by MMA fighters, as opposed to boxing, i've heard from some defenders of the sport.....and given the training and incredible skill displayed in the heat of the moment by a lot of MMA fighters, it's definitely a sport rather than a brutal all-out brawl for the enjoyment of the masses.....boxing is actually worse, because in boxing the competitors are forced to stand and take punches to the head for the duration of the fight. Makes sense, I reckon.

What do you think?

In my opinion, MMA's safer than boxing. In boxing, when you get knocked down, the fight is stopped and you get a standing 8 count. You are then allowed to go back and fight, get your brain knocked around the inside of your skull again and again, as long as you get up (not counting the 3 knockdown rule that sometimes applies, etc....).

In MMA fighting, when you get knocked down, the other fighter is allowed to finish you. That might sound worse, but it's actually better because fights usually end once that happens. Look at how long fights last after someone gets tagged in MMA. Usually no more than a few more seconds. Also, in MMA you can, in theory, win a fight without hitting anyone. You can finish them with holds, make them submit with an arm bars, etc....In boxing, if you lose a fight, it's because you got hit in the head repeatedly, whether you got knocked down or not.

I still prefer boxing to MMA, so I'm not defending MMA because I'm a fan of it. But I do think it is safer.

Its amazing when you see Gatti get up from that massive liver shot in the first Ward fight. He's clearly in agony but he forces himself back to his feat and then even starts firing back when Ward starts to punch himself out. Truely staggering human endurance.

Yeah, he was a freak. A home town boy, so he's now a bit of a legend around here.

I think it depends what you class as "safer". From a long term brain injury point of view, obviously boxing is far more dangerous. (I'll talk more about that in a bit).

Regarding just about every other type of traumatic injury; cuts, bruises, broken bones, strains, sprains, tendon damage etc. MMA is far more dangerous. I boxed really obsessively 3-4 times a week for 5 years and never had an injury other than a hurting my thumbs or a nose-bleed. I've had loads of other injuries in a wide variery of other sports - skiing, snowboarding, surfing, rugby, running etc.

Long term brain injury in boxing:
This is distinct from short term accute injuries like brain bleeds which will kill outright - these are still more common in other sports; like say, Horseriding or skateboarding.

Long term its the repeated sub-concussive blows that take a toll on boxers over a long time.
This is made worse by the fact that boxing is really badly regulated and the medical testing is shit.
Boxers can be banned from fighting in one state, then allowed to fight in another, even though they are known to have "diminishing skills" - symptoms of Dementia Pugilistica.

Any blow to the head will cause a tiny amount of damage and this accumulates over time. However, these risks can be minimised by a unified governing body, with a first set of medical guidelines that all boxers must fullfil to be allowed to fight. If these rules would make boxing more expensive to host then so be it. There'll be less professional boxers and boxing matches.

My personal view is that boxers should be limited to a set number of rounds for their career; say 50x12 rounds coupled with a medical assessment prior to every fight which would assess the cognitive abilities and regular brain scans; maybe every 12 rounds or something.

That would make sure that journeymen don't go on for years and years taking continual blows to the head (although many of these guys are masters of defence) and would also mean that higher level pros who are in hard 12 rounders get more intensive assessment.

I'm equally disappointed by how prevalent drug use is in boxing and how short the bans are. These guys are supposed to be professional athletes. Any drug ban in boxing should be lengthy and really damage a career - at the moment there's not much of a deterant.

I still can't get over the fact that Shane Mosley is regarded as a well respected pro with a great career. The guy is a drugs cheat who was involved in the Balco scandal.

Yeah, I agree with all that. I probably should have said "The short answer is that MMA is safer". But I was really only thinking of the brain trauma part of it.

Boxing is so corrupt and mis-managed that, unfortunately, it only seems to attract gangsters and thugs now, in and out of the ring.

Taking that into account another interesting suggestion is that there should be a minimum amateur standard that must be reached before you can turn pro. I've not really given this much thought but something like a minimum of 20 amateur bouts and maybe at least a 50/50 record. This would at least keep out some of the people that just want to get paid to fight as they'd need to have at least shown some level of commitment to learning to box prior to turning pro.

Boxers with extensive amateur experience, like the former olympic athletes, tend to be far less dogged with controversy, personal and drug problems.

Basically - I fucking love the sport of boxing but hate the way it is administered. I know that I could do better!

Basically - I fucking love the sport of boxing but hate the way it is administered.
I feel the same way. It's such a shame. Great sport. You can't run and hide and you can't fake it. I have respect for pretty much anyone that has ever stepped into a ring. I don't think anyone is in better shape than a well conditioned boxer.

In MMA, although knees can be devastating, elbows are absolutely brutal. Some of the worst cuts i've ever seen have come from a slashing elbow.

I've grown tired of MMA. I miss the good old days of boxing. I'm sure there are good fights out there, evidently they are less publicized and have taken a back seat to MMA.

In MMA, although knees can be devastating, elbows are absolutely brutal. Some of the worst cuts i've ever seen have come from a slashing elbow.

I've grown tired of MMA. I miss the good old days of boxing. I'm sure there are good fights out there, evidently they are less publicized and have taken a back seat to MMA.
Well, in a few weeks time Genady Golovkin is fighting David Lemileux. Don't miss it!

^^^Another hometown boy, David Lemieux. I don't know too much about him, though.

He's gonna get annihilated by GGG. But it's gonna be a fire fight
I've heard mixed things, mostly negative, about Lemieux's work ethic, and intestinal fortitude. I know almost nothing about either fighter, so I'll enjoy watching it.

I've heard mixed things, mostly negative, about Lemieux's work ethic, and intestinal fortitude. I know almost nothing about either fighter, so I'll enjoy watching it.
Check out GGG on YouTube. The guy has fucking rocks for fists

Ronda Rousy could KO Cecil to death before breakfast- mount him stuff him, and then take on the rest of the lions in the world by lunch- turn them into lion burgers and leather jackets to feed and clothe the homeless. . . All before eating Pat Buchanan for dinner, because he tastes like pretzels, and she loves her some pretzels.

What a gal! :o

11376312_720800658064437_2065874493_n.jpg

I don't watch MMA... I've only seen her when they show her on ESPN and during commercials for MMA PPVs. I always thought she had a bit of that "female steroid jaw" going on and thought she was good-looking for a woman that fights for a living, but average-looking otherwise. I'm sure these pics are airbrushed to hell, but I think I changed my mind anyway.

Ronda Rousy could KO Cecil to death before breakfast- mount him stuff him, and then take on the rest of the lions in the world by lunch- turn them into lion burgers and leather jackets to feed and clothe the homeless. . . All before eating Pat Buchanan for dinner, because he tastes like pretzels, and she loves her some pretzels.

What a gal! :o

There's some furious butthurt with this guy.

Back