Ronda Rousey = Mike Tyson

She's young, gorgeous, in shape,ferocious and at the top of her game!
She's the anti-beez!
I'm infatuated!

Fighting sports are cool partly because of that principle. Even the most mismatched fight can go either way with a lucky punch.

Anyone else had any proper fights?

I've had two, and its the biggest rush I've ever had. When your entrance music comes on and you walk in your heart is fucking pounding!

Anyone else had any proper fights?

I've had two, and its the biggest rush I've ever had. When your entrance music comes on and you walk in your heart is fucking pounding!

I ruptured a guy's eyeball once. That was pretty cool.

She's so far ahead of any other woman in her sport. It was nice to see her get an actual knockout with her fists, rather than with that arm bar she always uses. She's an Olympic Gold medalist in Judo, if I'm not mistaken. So, she had to learn how to box and kick to be successful in the UFC.

The thing that kills me about the UFC is the length of the rounds. 5 minutes! I've competed and won 2 provincial gold medals in Tae Kwon Do and those rounds were just 2 minutes. But believe me, it feels like half an hour, and I was always in much better condition than anyone I fought, so I usually won my fights by still having all kinds of energy while the other guy's looking for a lung near the end of the fight.

I still prefer boxing to any other martial art. I do a lot of boxing now, but got into it way too late in life. Pro boxing is shit now, but in its' hey day, like the 70's, it was awesome.

...and...Tyson was actually a very skilled and technical boxer when he was being coached by Cus D'amato. His defense is under-rated because he had such great power, but he was more than just a slugger for sure.

Last edited:
Just for fun......another side of Tyson. He still couldn't hold Ali's jock strap, though. Ali would beat him before the fight even started.

But Tyson was still great:

RAMI speaks the truth about Tyson. in the D'Amato era and for a couple of years after his defence was good. Even in those clips above you can even see in the later ones that he's a bit wilder, abandonning his skills and getting tagged more. By the Bruno fight he looks like a totally different fighter to the earlier stuff where his hands are always high.

I think even the "peak" '88 version of Tyson would have lost to Holyfield though. Holyfield wasn't scared or intimidated by anyone. He would have found the early part of the fight rough but I think he'd have worn Tyson down in the end.

I think even the "peak" '88 version of Tyson would have lost to Holyfield though. Holyfield wasn't scared or intimidated by anyone. He would have found the early part of the fight rough but I think he'd have worn Tyson down in the end.

I agree. People that talk about a "Prime" Tyson forget that he got knocked out by Douglas when he was only 24 years old. It's not as if he should have been past his prime. He was only washed up because he stopped listening to anyone and thought that his presence was enough to win a fight. He was the typical bully. He beat people because he was in their head before the fight even started and they were all scared of him. Douglas wasn't. That's why I say Ali would have schooled him like a child. Ali would have been in HIS head, he would have out-smarted, out-danced, and out-boxed him. Hollyfield, too.

This is a great short video that shows what happens when a boxer thinks he's too smart to listen to his trainer. Great story:

Can't watch that now 'cos I am at work. But if you get a chance its worth watching HBOs Legendary Nights series. Tyson-Douglas is one of the fights discussed, as is Chavez-Taylor.

I'll check it out for sure. I've seen a couple of documentaries on the Douglas-Tyson fight, but not that one.

Back