Rode Nt1

Out of the great pile of chinese condenser mics I have, including the NT1A, the SPB1, and the V67-G, the V67G is the most tolerable on vocals.

It can't quite take the spl that the B1 can, but I tracked almost a whole record with it. You can hear the songs at the link in my sig. I believe that "Beautiful World" is a V67-G, and that "Penelope O'Doule" is an NT-1A. "Lady Policeman", by way of contrast, is an EV RE-20.

Caveat Emptor

While some of the early Rode mics were made in china (but assembled in Australia for quality control), they are now manufactured in Australia.

Cheers

Alan.

greyharmonix,

you sound like robert smith? he's got a piercing voice. you probably don't like bright sibilant mics either. what do you use?

which is darker: sm57, sm7 or re20?

i use the sm7.

i'm not exactly sure what you mean by darker. but i'm guessing this refers to the frequency response in the mics. sm7 and re20 are actually really similar and i don't think anyone could really justify buying one over the other. they're both good. i personally own the sm7. a guy i share equipment with owns a re 20. i've used the re 20 and thought "damn that sounds just like an sm7". they both got relatively flat even responses. i think they're both used as radio station mics (that was at least the intention of the mics). the 57 is good if you can't afford the sm7 or re 20 (i think they're both about the same price), but it really doesn't capture the full range of tone like a sm7. i don't know why exactly, but it just doesn't. i've heard the components of an sm7 and 57 are similar, but whatever's missing in the 57 is apparently worth $200.

if you had the 57 and only the mbox2 for a pre

would you invest in a pre that works well with both the 57 and 7 before buying the 7? I think that makes sense to do

if your just starting to upgrade your stuff i'd upgrade in mics before pres

i agree. I did that and I personally think it works better. Eventually youll fee "constricted" but thats when you dont eat for a few weeks and spend it on a new pre haha.

I think it's better to have a really nice mic not getting it's fullpower, than having a nice pre on a mic that just doesn't have a good sound. Good mics give more clear change than a good mic pre (from my experience so far at least.. granted I havent used anything more than a digi 003 and my art digital mpa gold)

i pcked up a rode nt1 not he 1-a. I don't know the difference between the two, but I imagine it's just the chasis. The 1-a is a nickle plated and the nt1 is a white/grey plastic one.

Sound On Sound did a nice review of the NT1-a a few years back, which included a comparison of the NT1 and the NT1-a: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/articles/rodent.htm

As a few others here have noted, another difference is that the capsule source for the NT1-a is Australia, rather than the Chinese capsule of the NT1.

I just picked up an NT1-a, and haven't had much time to work with it. I'm running mine through an Alto Alpha Mictube preamp. Between the tube and the pad on the preamp, I'm enjoying what I'm getting out of the Rode.

Back