Rode Nt1

buryher17

I've been eyeing the Rode Nt1 mic for a very long time and FINALLY after scavenging up some money I was able to purchase it yesterday. I've done a bunch of recordings with it since and I must say... this mic is amazing. It's such a huge jump up in sound from the At2020's. The rode focuses in so tightly with what is in front of it, and has a beautiful natural reverb to it.

I know this isn't really a question or anything but I just had to say how in shock I was about how much of a difference it made in my acoustic and vocal recordings in the last 24 hours. To anyone who was wounding what mcirophone they should get, by far it isn't even a question, get the Rode NT1. It's only 229 new and sounds like a beast. It now lies close to my d6 mic haha :D

hmm... this is what my next mic will probably... if i get serious . Funny thing is I have an at 2020, and i like it, but its good to know that the rode nt1 is way better... my friend who recorded with both of them also confirmed that...

but are you using the rode nt1... or the rodent1a?

i had a choice today between the rode NT1A and the CAD trion 6000....

after hearing them here is the results...

the trion seemed like slightly more bottom end and mids....with slightly less highs, but you could switch 360 degrees and when you sing on the back end it sounds similar to a vintage tape very warm and a low pass around 7khz,,...........very very nice!!

the rode has a nice flat curve up until 8khz......then its slightly bright but barely....

in the end i got the rode NT1A, but if i dont like it i can go back in the morning and switch it out....

i am going to post the rode NT1A on my voice tonight here, and the MXL v63m(which i already have) then go to the store tomorrow and record the trion 6000 and post it here so you all can see which one sounds better...

what do you guys think CAD trion 6000 or rode NT1?

EDIT: i also tried out a MXL v67G and to my suprise it was completely flat and warm!! i ordered one used, on ebay after hearing it...i had to have it....

i've had the rode nt1a for about 2 years now and i say eh it's ok. it's certainly not bad, but i've been exposed to better mics and my liking for it has gone to eh. but i remember when i first got it i was totally amazed. definatly a great mic to start off in recording vocals. i found eventually that the mic didn't suit my voice, but that's the thing it took a few months to really realize that. that's the thing with any mic it just depends on what your recording. for me the rode nt1a was not the answer.

i sing alternative rock stuff btw. people say i sometimes sound like robert smith for some refrence.

Last edited:
All mics sound great when you first get them. Otherwise you wouldn't have spent the money on them. But it doesn't take long to figure out what you don't like about them.

For me that means...

Avenson STO-2's...
- too much self noise, although not really that bad when compared to other mics near it's price point.
- too OMNI, for a stereo pair, there's not really much stereo image. But I'm finding that to be a good thing. i.e. It's really hard to screw up the mic placement.
- needs a little low/mid eq to bring it into balance and improve clarity. Just a little though.

SM-81's...
- Nice what you hear is what you get image. With good clarity.
- A bit too directional. Probably hyper-cardioid-ish. Where I'm wanting sub-cardioid-ish.
- quite a bit of proximity boost in gain, making them hard to use on sources that tend to move.
- should have shipped with shock mounts IMO, as they tend to have a bit of handling noise. When hand held or on a surface that translates vibrations up the mic stand.

I haven't really sampled the NT1 yet. But I know a few that says they're eh compared to other mics. Not that they aren't good mics, but they're not for me. If only in reputation.

Different mics sound good on different singers. The NT1A is a pretty bright mic and can be sibilant. For some vocalists, that brings out the sparkle in a dull voice. For other vocalists, that brings out the harsh in an already cutting voice. Individual results may vary. Some restrictions and limitations may apply. See store for details.

That said, if Røde is using the capsules I think they're using, I tend to agree with Supercreep.

I need this mic.

ok i want it... not need but yeah you get the point.

if i could add talent....

oh the possibilities among the stars.

i had a choice today between the rode NT1A and the CAD trion 6000....

after hearing them here is the results...

the trion seemed like slightly more bottom end and mids....with slightly less highs, but you could switch 360 degrees and when you sing on the back end it sounds similar to a vintage tape very warm and a low pass around 7khz,,...........very very nice!!

the rode has a nice flat curve up until 8khz......then its slightly bright but barely....

in the end i got the rode NT1A, but if i dont like it i can go back in the morning and switch it out....

i am going to post the rode NT1A on my voice tonight here, and the MXL v63m(which i already have) then go to the store tomorrow and record the trion 6000 and post it here so you all can see which one sounds better...

what do you guys think CAD trion 6000 or rode NT1?

EDIT: i also tried out a MXL v67G and to my suprise it was completely flat and warm!! i ordered one used, on ebay after hearing it...i had to have it....

I may try the v67g, since they're pretty inexpensive and I don't want another sibilant mic...I've had enough already. The NT1A sounded pretty thin on your voice in the clip you posted on Gearslutz. I thought it was pretty awful actually. Just my opinion, but for your voice I thought the clip with the trion sounded much better...and the v67 2nd. Maybe you could post a clip of yourself singing instead of speaking, since that's what you are going to be using the mic for...or not?

Last edited:
Hi, I own both a NT1 (not the A) and a V67g, and on vocal I prefer the NT1. Remember there are other considerations with vocal sound, the singer, the type of song, the distance from the mic, etc.

I use either on Guitar cabs which is where they get used a lot nowadays.

However if the money allows I would look at an NT2, as it has switchable patterns.

Cheers

Alan.

hmm... this is what my next mic will probably... if i get serious . Funny thing is I have an at 2020, and i like it, but its good to know that the rode nt1 is way better... my friend who recorded with both of them also confirmed that...

but are you using the rode nt1... or the rodent1a?

i pcked up a rode nt1 not he 1-a. I don't know the difference between the two, but I imagine it's just the chasis. The 1-a is a nickle plated and the nt1 is a white/grey plastic one.

I thiknk this blows the at2020's out of the water. I want to get another and use them as my new overheads. If not I tried out as pair of perception 400's and they worked incredibly on OH's. I'm thinking fo doing that as well. I originaly wanted the Rode NT5 matched pair but heard many mixed reviews, more bad than good :[

I just picked up a ART MPA God Digital Preamp to use with this mic as well and it's beautiful. The clarity on this thing is amazing. I highly suggest for ANYONE toget the MPA Digital Gold Pre as well. It doubles as 2 extra channels for your mixer (ex: 003) and has an amazing feature "mic impendance" that hen you get the right sending, it works perfect with your mic to get such a nice sound.

how do you compare the nt-1a to the blue baby bottle?

I think I'm learning that I don't like bright and sibilant. I think my baby bottle is way too bright and I should get something darker.

nt-1a?

how do you compare the nt-1a to the blue baby bottle?

I think I'm learning that I don't like bright and sibilant. I think my baby bottle is way too bright and I should get something darker.

nt-1a?
the nt1a isn't dark by any means. by darker i'm guessing you mean a flatter frequency response and i'd say in that case an sm7 is great, re 20 too.

Back