Rock mix

xfinsterx

This is the most recent work ive done to date.
Its been a while since ive posted a mix here....more than a year i believe.
I figured id wait a while and get my chops up more before i returned.
While im sure there are flaws, i think this is some of the best work ive done to date......as least relative to what ive done in the past anyways.
As always id appriciate anything constructive, thanks guys.

-Chris

Last edited:
another kick ass mix and song,i ALWAYS look forward to your posts man.
welcome back...glad to see you still visit us less talented mofos! :D

Sounds good.
The bass and guitars sound real nice. Although there is a frequency gap between them. Maybe dont cut the lo end so much on the guitars or add some lo mids on the bass so they merge a bit more.
Its good how you have managed to seperate them so much but I think you have seperated them too much which takes away power from a mix IMO.

Drums sound nice, but the kick sounds sampled.
The guitar hammer on solo is awsome in sound and tone. Nice.

Is that you singing in the backing? Nice vocals. Id maybe automate them a bit so they arent so loud in the mix to let the guitasr shine through more.

Nice work Finster, was a pleasure listening.

Would you mind critissing my mix here please?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=415936&songID=5030482

Peace,
Eck

ecktronic said:
Sounds good.
The bass and guitars sound real nice. Although there is a frequency gap between them. Maybe dont cut the lo end so much on the guitars or add some lo mids on the bass so they merge a bit more.
Its good how you have managed to seperate them so much but I think you have seperated them too much which takes away power from a mix IMO.

Drums sound nice, but the kick sounds sampled.
The guitar hammer on solo is awsome in sound and tone. Nice.

Is that you singing in the backing? Nice vocals. Id maybe automate them a bit so they arent so loud in the mix to let the guitasr shine through more.

Nice work Finster, was a pleasure listening.

Would you mind critissing my mix here please?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=415936&songID=5030482

Peace,
Eck

Thanks for the review bro much appriciated.

The Kick and snare are a 50/50 split between a trigger and the mic'd sound.
The toms are all real.
I know it sounds triggered, and i love triggered drums when theyre mixed with the mic'd drums! i like that it still keeps the integrity of the real drum sound but still has the power, punch, and clarity of triggers.

As for the guitars i took a listen. But i think im pretty satisfied. Any more density in the axes and itll get muddy in there, dont want that.
I wanted the bass guitar to really have a place in this song.

Ill review your tune and shoot ya a mail in your box Eck.

Cool song man...I like the drums. They have a nice, complete sound.....you can hear everything. Great guitar tone.
Overall, song is way cool. The solo was sweet.... :cool:

xfinsterx said:
Thanks for the review bro much appriciated.

The Kick and snare are a 50/50 split between a trigger and the mic'd sound.
The toms are all real.
I know it sounds triggered, and i love triggered drums when theyre mixed with the mic'd drums! i like that it still keeps the integrity of the real drum sound but still has the power, punch, and clarity of triggers.

As for the guitars i took a listen. But i think im pretty satisfied. Any more density in the axes and itll get muddy in there, dont want that.
I wanted the bass guitar to really have a place in this song.

Ill review your tune and shoot ya a mail in your box Eck.
Cool.
Yeah your mix is soo clear. Something I find hard to get without killing my mix too much and making it sound scooped or thin. I suppose thats more a recording fault on my part rather than a mixing problem though.

Eck

Had a listen on headphones. Will listen later on speakers.

Initial thoughts...

That drumset work is pretty spectacular. The gtrs stay tight. The mix is loud but not over-limited sounding.

Not sure about the length of the verb on the main vocal.

Great mix. If I had to nitpick, I'd also point the vocal reverb out. It doesn't seem to be the best choice, and maybe it is too loud. My initial feeling was that a quarter delay might sound better in the verses, but maybe that's too cheesy. And I'd like to hear more of the original kick track and less of the triggered sound to give it more life. But hey, these are really minor points, I'd be happy to be able to mix like that.

I can totally agree with you on the reverb thing.
Ill take a look.
InitiaLLY my idea was to auto mate the tails down when the rythm section has gaps. I just never ended up doing it. I think ill go back and do that.

Ill check my blend on the kick too, but i think i might be satisfied....preference wise.

My only thing would be the reverb on vox. The patch itself sounds fine to me, but it seems too loud in places. Although I'm listening on headphones where it's easier to hear reverb for me, on speakers it might sound just right.

nessbass said:
Great mix. If I had to nitpick, I'd also point the vocal reverb out. It doesn't seem to be the best choice, and maybe it is too loud. My initial feeling was that a quarter delay might sound better in the verses, but maybe that's too cheesy. And I'd like to hear more of the original kick track and less of the triggered sound to give it more life. But hey, these are really minor points, I'd be happy to be able to mix like that.

Thats pretty much what I would say. Thats all there is "wrong" with the mix, still a great mix :D.

Nice job, man. It's hard to hear the banjo, but other than that, perfect.

About the lead vox...I think the verb can work..just tame a bit of the decay/late reflections.

The one thing I'm not crazy about are the vocals during the chorus...is she doubled or did you slightly pitch shift a clone of her vocal or is it a chorus? It sounds phasey to me, but that's really the only thing at all about the mix that bugged me even the slightest bit.

chrisharris said:
Nice job, man. It's hard to hear the banjo, but other than that, perfect.

About the lead vox...I think the verb can work..just tame a bit of the decay/late reflections.

The one thing I'm not crazy about are the vocals during the chorus...is she doubled or did you slightly pitch shift a clone of her vocal or is it a chorus? It sounds phasey to me, but that's really the only thing at all about the mix that bugged me even the slightest bit.

Thanks for the review!

Ill work out the vox verb details today.

About the hook vox it is a physical double.
I i know what you mean. When she sings dubs it tends to be so close that it does phase a tad bit.

Its never botherd me really and i can live with it.
Damn fine ears for catching it though!! :eek:

-Chris

Finster- pretty awesome sounding tune. The solo guitar tone was pretty awesome. I am not completely sold on the drum sound. The triggered drums sound really powerful like they should be in the middle of a blazing metal track but yet a lot of the drumming on this (aside from the kicks) is really open. I think the kicks being so large makes the snare/overheads sound really tiny. That is really my only nit.
What did you use for the guitars?

Wireneck said:
Finster- pretty awesome sounding tune. The solo guitar tone was pretty awesome. I am not completely sold on the drum sound. The triggered drums sound really powerful like they should be in the middle of a blazing metal track but yet a lot of the drumming on this (aside from the kicks) is really open. I think the kicks being so large makes the snare/overheads sound really tiny. That is really my only nit.
What did you use for the guitars?

Right on bro, good ta hear from you again.

Wow, this drum sound sure generates alot of opinions dosent it?
Interseting.

The guitar sound is Mesa dual.

within 2 seconds, i could tell this is the best mix i've heard here in weeks...as far heavy shit goes that is

then the vocals kicked in - i can't really say i dig the reverb on the vocals in the verse, but it's pretty typical of this type of shit, so my opinion is pretty moot there

all in all everything sounds really nice and balanced...the lead tone on the guitars kills, and i'm liking the spaciousness of the kit in terms of toms and cymbals

Back