Rock Drums OH: X-Y or Spaced Pair? Kit also close mic'd.

Rock Drums, Close Mic'd, OHs method prefered?

• X-Y

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • Spaced Pair

Votes: 25 50.0%

• Total voters
I prefer going x/y. I adjust the width, intimacy and tom vs cymbal ratio of the kit with panning and height of x/y mic placement.

I've gotten great results from spaced pairs too, it's just isn't my prefered choice.

Takk - you might be better off experimenting with both --IMHO the answer depends on some important factors- the room, the type/size/pattern of the mics, how many other mics will be used, type of music, who the drummer is etc.

For my situation (low headroom using SDCs in cardioid pattern), I find that the x/y works best for me when it will be blended with close mics on all the toms, snare, kick, ambient mics etc.

If I just want to use a 3-mic set up (two SDCs OHs and a dynamic on the kick drum), I'll use an ORTF set up.

-Rez

I normally use omni mics as overheads and a pretty large room. SO... I would go for the spaced pair. Even when I use cardiods I normally do the spaced pair because of my room size and the spread I can get.

X/y

HI:

I find for today's rock music where the drums are panned in the center, x/y coincident mic'ing works best especially in my recording room. It also eliminates phase issues that improper spaced mic'ing can cause.

:)

rory said:
I normally use omni mics as overheads and a pretty large room. SO... I would go for the spaced pair. Even when I use cardiods I normally do the spaced pair because of my room size and the spread I can get.

In a big room, with a sufficient mic locker, try using both SDC overheads, and a pair of LDC room mics. It's great to be able to blend then to taste during the mix.

Robert D said:
In a big room, with a sufficient mic locker, try using both SDC overheads, and a pair of LDC room mics. It's great to be able to blend then to taste during the mix.

I generally don't consider room mics as overheads, but usually have one LDC about 10-20' in front of the kit and a few sm91s scattered around as well.

both :)

I never really understood the "one or the other" thing. Techniques exsist to apply in different situations. :D

Actually, on tape I've most often recorded with just a single omni mike overhead and then one in front of the kick. Now I have abundant tracks with my DAW, so I use a spaced pair of omni mikes overhead.

Cheers,

Otto

For my situation (low headroom using SDCs in cardioid pattern), I find that the x/y works best for me when it will be blended with close mics on all the toms, snare, kick, ambient mics etc.

Ditto for me. X/Y won't give you as much stereo spread as a spaced pair but it picks up the kit in a more natural way. Also no phase issues.

i'm all spaced pair lately, but it has more to do with the fact that my favorite overhead mics happen to be omnis then preference.

both work fine, trade as needed.

i usually like to go with a spaced pair, and make sure that a)both mics are the same height from the floor, and b)both mics are equidistant from the center of the snare

Back