RNP vs. VTB1 vs. DMP3 (Bass DI)

As much as I respect Alan and his company (happy c-1 owner here) , I totally agree with jslator as the files don't lie when laid side by side. Also, isn't recording to files compressed over wires our ultimate market as struggling engineers and artists? MP3 is the format for the masses. Do I have to tell Tommie Mattola this?

To reiterate, this was a DI test, the former one a guitar mic test. I think a vocal round would be in order as this is where most of us would like to improve the sound. (Under the thought that the vocal is the most important part of a song).

The VTB-1 was the the backround runner in the previous two tests but could still pull out in the vocal run.

As an aside, another pre option not mentioned here much is the focusrite platinum voice master. They are being blown out at GC for $400 (used to be $700) and have a built in noise reduction section, tube saturator, opto compressor, EQ, De-esser, gate among other stuff.

I am playing with one this weekend and can tell you I think it would give the RNP a run for its money. Class A type and it walks all over the DMP3 as a stand alone pre.

If you like that focusrite, try the behringer vx2000 , its the same pre for $100.

I think the only real way to do this comparison is to apply the preamps to tracks via the aux sends on your DAW. That way you cant say that there was any other factor involved other than the preamp.

You should consider maybe trying a VTB1 and sending it back before you trash it here. there are infinate settings and sound options due to the insert and the tube blend, something that the rnp and dmp3 wont have due to just a gain controll.:rolleyes:

chessrock

The EQ is very high quality and you gotta love it when the EQ knobs are labeled Warmth, Tuning, Presence and Breath. This thing really rocks and is a substantial notch above the under $500 crowd of preamps.

It also has an interesting characteristic of closing out background noise. Not totally, but its like it knows to reject the boxy reflections of the room and focuses on the more immediate sounds of the vocal. This is something the low end pres I've tried don't do.

I did try the behringer vx2000 by the way and it was just too noisey for recording purposes. It also did not have the weight and feel of the focusrite. I should have kept the files I recorded with the xv so I could compare the sounds for you. The focusrite is just more pro sounding, meaning it has that pop out in your face focus to the voice.

I really like the DMP3 and think it is a great starting pre but over time the vocals I recorded just seemed flat and I had to excessively EQ them into place to try and make them stand out of the music.

Last edited:
darrin_h2000 said:
You should consider maybe trying a VTB1 and sending it back before you trash it here.

Yah, that's a great idea. Everything I've ever heard it on is not even close to what I'd consider passable, so I should buy one just to make sure what I've been hearing is true.
:rolleyes:

I think I'd have to hear it sound good at least once before doing that.

darrin_h2000 said:
Use that insert and try different tubes. theres alot that can be done there.

Feel free to post some samples. I'd honestly like to hear if swapping the tube makes a differnece.

Well participant, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm ready to hear the vocal test with those mic preamps. Hint, hint. What mic will you be using? Thanks again. :)

I have the VTB-1 here and I find it's stellar for use with my RCA 77DX ribbon mic, and quite usable as a utility preamp. It's definitely a good value for $179.

The RNP didn't do well with the RCA 77DX, but sounded amazing on every other mic I tried, and compared very favorably with the Great River MP-2NV and the Milinia Media SST-1 Origin. The sound of the RNP D.I. is very unique, to my ears anyway.

Both are useful in their own way, and both are worth a lot more than what they sell for, at least, in my opinion.

Like everything else in audio, you hafta know how and when to use them. And, like everything else in audio, they're not always the best choice for a particular application.

Harvey Gerst said:
I have the VTB-1 here and I find it's stellar for use with my RCA 77DX ribbon mic, and quite usable as a utility preamp. It's definitely a good value for $179.

The RNP didn't do well with the RCA 77DX, but sounded amazing on every other mic I tried, and compared very favorably with the Great River MP-2NV and the Milinia Media SST-1 Origin. The sound of the RNP D.I. is very unique, to my ears anyway.

Both are useful in their own way, and both are worth a lot more than what they sell for, at least, in my opinion.

Like everything else in audio, you hafta know how and when to use them. And, like everything else in audio, they're not always the best choice for a particular application.

Hi Harvey,

Hey, what do you mean by "and compared very favorably with the Great River MP-2NV and the Milinia Media SST-1 Origin." what exactly does that really mean? I'm not trying to be a pain-in-the-ass, I just don't know what that really means? Thanks.

DJL said:
Hi Harvey,

Hey, what do you mean by "and compared very favorably with the Great River MP-2NV and the Milinia Media SST-1 Origin." what exactly does that really mean? I'm not trying to be a pain-in-the-ass, I just don't know what that really means? Thanks.
By that, I meant that I considered it to be in the same class as those preamps. It had extremely low distortion and had a way of "extending" the highs, unlike any preamp I've ever heard before. It didn't sound like it was boosting the high end, more like a veil was being lifted, or like cleaning a dirty window.

It fit in with the two preamps I mentioned in it's ability to make almost every mic sound richer and far more expensive, except for my RCA 77DX, which I've pointed out elsewhere.

The RNP isn't great for everything, but neither is my Great River or the SST-1 Origin.

Harvey Gerst said:
By that, I meant that I considered it to be in the same class as those preamps. It had extremely low distortion and had a way of "extending" the highs, unlike any preamp I've ever heard before. It didn't sound like it was boosting the high end, more like a veil was being lifted, or like cleaning a dirty window.

It fit in with the two preamps I mentioned in it's ability to make almost every mic sound richer and far more expensive, except for my RCA 77DX, which I've pointed out elsewhere.

The RNP isn't great for everything, but neither is my Great River or the SST-1 Origin.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me. I turly wasn't sure what you meant and now it is clear. Thanks again.

I should also add that I could hear some noise at the highest settings on the RNP, whereas the VTB-1 was very quiet at the highest settings. The Great River is also pretty quiet at its highest settings.

It really wasn't an update so much as just pointing out a fact that may have gotten lost in this last flurry of bashing stuff. I believe I pointed out that the RNP was a bit noisey at its highest gain settings in my original review of the units, but I haven't mentioned that lately and it might be an deciding factor for people that need that last bit of gain.

I think that it's a more important point than whether the RNP has plastic knobs or not.

Harvey Gerst said:
It really wasn't an update so much as just pointing out a fact that may have gotten lost in this last flurry of bashing stuff. I believe I pointed out that the RNP was a bit noisey at its highest gain settings in my original review of the units, but I haven't mentioned that lately and it might be an deciding factor for people that need that last bit of gain.

I think that it's a more important point than whether the RNP has plastic knobs or not.

I agree, and I would think anyone wanting to record low volume sound sources such as wildlife, and etc would want to know about the noise. Thank you again for being honest.

Back