RNC Troubles

Bguzaldo

So i just got one of these from ebay and it didnt come with a power supply so i found one that matched all the specs 9v ac 500mA and connected it and it didnt turn on. I switch the polarity of the power supply, tried it again and now it turns on, but i can only hear signal when its bypassed. I tried using unbalanced cables like it says in the manul but still nothing. I tried balanced cables as well as trying to use just the insert TRS jack still nothin...any suggestions? I already contacted the seller and he said i can return it, but i still want one of these so i wanna make sure im not just being dumb on my end before i send it back and buy a new one.

Thanks,
-Barrett

Send it back ... only if your sure that you have the proper power supply for it and it's still not working correctly.

You can hear audio when the unit is bypassed? Either you have the inputs/outputs reversed or the unit is bad.

and there is no polarity to change on an AC power supply. AC is AC ..... doesn't really have a pos. or neg. as far as the unit's concerned.

I think he is talking about a VDC Wal Wart power supply which can be either center + or center -.......so maybe he's using a VDC power pack instead of an VAC. :eek:

OP...can you confirm what it says on your power supply...?

I think he is talking about a VDC Wal Wart power supply which can be either center + or center -.......so maybe he's using a VDC power pack instead of an VAC. :eek:

OP...can you confirm what it says on your power supply...?
he specifically said it's a 9vAC 500ma power supply.

Yes...I read that...but I know when I'm rummaging around in my box of Wal-Warts for a compatible unit....it's easy to grab the wrong one. :)

I just thought he should confirm it...just to be sure.

Yes...I read that...but I know when I'm rummaging around in my box of Wal-Warts for a compatible unit....it's easy to grab the wrong one. :)

I just thought he should confirm it...just to be sure.
good idea ..... lemme go see what the RNC requires.
Because if you hook up the wrong type ...... THAT can kill a unit.

yeah, it takes 9vAC.

I've had cases where two same-spec Wal Warts...one works and one doesn't. I know some gear requires specific BRANDS of Wal Wart.
I have one pedal that seems to only like the Danelectro units. :D

The RNC manual states 9VAC....but again, it can come down to a specifc brand of 9VAC wall-wart. I would check with FMR Audio if their gear is that picky.

I had another pedal that got zapped just becuase I used some generic (same spec) wall-wart...the manufacuter fixed it for me and said NOT to use anything but theirs. Not really sure what is different, but it works fine with theirs.

I'm wondering if some of the China-made generic stuff is not really up to the printed specs....????

Hey guys thanks for gettin back to me so quickly.

Not doubting you LT. but just curious....if the polarity doesn't matter how come it only turned on after i switched it??

I'm using a korg PSU 9Vac 600mA

Hey guys thanks for gettin back to me so quickly.

Not doubting you LT. but just curious....if the polarity doesn't matter how come it only turned on after i switched it??

I'm using a korg PSU 9Vac 600mA
I have no idea ..... possibly coincidence ... try switching it back and see ...... but the AC coming out of a 9vAC power supply is AC which is alternating current which means the electricity reverses polarity 60 times a second when it's 60hz electricity.

I have no idea ..... possibly coincidence ... try switching it back and see ...... but the AC coming out of a 9vAC power supply is AC which is alternating current which means the electricity reverses polarity 60 times a second when it's 60hz electricity.

Right now i have it rigged so there's half a power cable connected to the jack on the unit and there are two bare wires comin from the the cable (basically just +/- leads comin out of the unit) and i touch them to a working power supply and it only works when i touch the negative to center and the positive to the sleeve :wtf:

Right now i have it rigged so there's half a power cable connected to the jack on the unit and there are two bare wires comin from the the cable (basically just +/- leads comin out of the unit) and i touch them to a working power supply and it only works when i touch the negative to center and the positive to the sleeve :wtf:
but it's not really working right?

That really sounds to me as if the power supply is putting out DC.
I know you said it's AC and I'm not doubting you but I can't really think of anything else unless somehow one of the wires to the jack isn't making a connection but I still don't see how that would make it do that.

A mystery .........
Ideas anyone?

FMR AUDIO

CONTACT US
***IMPORTANT!***

Please call us, rather than emailing us for:

* Product troubleshooting or technical questions, and/or,

* Critical and/or time-sensitive communications.

Email may be good for some things, but it's too tedious, time-consuming and inefficient if you want a well-reasoned and explained answer to your question(s)! We answer the phone when we're here (9a - 6p, CST/CDT USA). Call us!

Email roulette: info@fmraudio.com

Phone (512) 280-6557 Fax (512) 804-0998

:)

FMR AUDIO

CONTACT US
***IMPORTANT!***

Please call us, rather than emailing us for:

* Product troubleshooting or technical questions, and/or,

* Critical and/or time-sensitive communications.

Email may be good for some things, but it's too tedious, time-consuming and inefficient if you want a well-reasoned and explained answer to your question(s)! We answer the phone when we're here (9a - 6p, CST/CDT USA). Call us!

Email roulette: info@fmraudio.com

Phone (512) 280-6557 Fax (512) 804-0998

:)

Thanks miro, i already got the number programmed in my phone, just waitin to get off work and then im gonna chat it up with the FMR guys

Back