Review – Studio Projects VTB1 mic pre

I'm dying to make a thousand comments about this review, but I cant because I know the way I talk and that I will offend a number of people- so I'll just keep shut.

By the way, trackrat, if you are reading this thread, please buy a v1 and review it. I will stop recommending the AT3035 because you think its total crap-and I totally trust your ears.

Hey Guys,
Dot posts over in at the VS Planet a lot. And most the advice he has given me on gear and recording has been "spot on" . I don't know if the VTB-1 is any good, but for 179.00 I am going to give it a whirl. It arives today and I will come back here in a few days and let you know what I think of it.

Rich
www.richbischoff.com

By the way, Dot and Harvey in marketing terms are considered "Opinion Leaders". Most of what they say and don't say influences a lot of purchases. In sales and marketing there are allways people like Dot and Harvey. These internet forums are the best place for Opionion Leaders to make an impact.

Rock On

My VTB-1 came with a bad power supply

I got mine today and it wouldn't power on*. I called Mac MIDI Music where I ordered it from and they will be overnighting me a new, tested PS. They told me a few have reported the same thing. If you order one, make sure they test it before sending it to you. It's a bummer. Mac MIDI Music said they have reported it to PMI Audio. Alan, what's the word on this?

* OK, if you want to know the full detail here it is. I tried it on a bunch of power strip outlets I knew was working and no lights of any kind lit up (I pushed in every button that I figure would light up its corresponding LED - I even unplugged everything so only the AC adapter was plugged in). I then tried it on an extension cord (no power strip) and I was surprised it all lit up. I wondered if it didn't like power strips. I unplugged it and tried it again on the same power strips and wouldn't turn on. I even tried it plugged directly to a wall outlet and nothing. Very strange. I plugged it back in the extension cord as before and no power. I've wiggled the cords and re-plugged it in and out of the unit to no avail. This is when I call Mac MIDI Music and they weren't surprised when I told them I couldn't power it on.

We addressed this issue on another thread. There is a batch of bad power supplies. They get damaged in shipping because the casing in too thin and where the transformer is mounted it can seperate from the housing which shorts the transformer.

This has been addressed and the new shipments should have the correct supply in them. Like I said, this was an unfortunate problem, but none of the supplies has taken out any VTB-1's. Once we shipped the replacement supplies to the customers, they were fine. Here is a response from one customers...

Thank you for sending my power supply so quickly. Although I am not an experience recording engineer, I'm just a home studio rookie, I think this is a good pre amp, I love the sound and haven't even gotten around to trying the tube yet. all I have to compare it to are my mackies pres and an art unit, but I really like this thing.

In either case we have addressed this issue, and will continue to make any unit right with a bad supply. This will all go away shortly and while it is an inconvience, I am sure you and every one else will be pleased with your VTB-1. Believe me, we are none too happy about this, but like they say, Shit Happens, but we have been standing behind it as we should.

riffing said:

Sorry, must've missed that one. Thanks for the reply, Alan.

No problem...Let me know if there are any other issues we can help if need be. I want to make sure you get up and running properly :D

riffing, I only use mine in conjunction with a power strip that
has surge protection, and it's been working fine.
It sounds like the vast majority were O.K.
At least it will be worth the wait!

Chris

I have a C1. Its VERY GOOD on singers[melodic soul singers]. I mean REEEEAL GOOD. It does not really need any EQ on those types of singers. On Rappers, if they have a raspy voice, it thins them out TOO MUCH[a voice like FAT JOE or someone like that]. I would instead run a C414 through that. Oh yeah. The VTB-1 is awsome. You simply need to find the input gain and the tube. Just my two cents.

Back