Review – Studio Projects VTB1 mic pre

Dot

Studio Projects VTB1 Mic Pre

First Things First
It seems that $200 is buying more and more these days for project recording studio owners and home recordists. With great compressors and great mics now this side of dirt cheap, the audio-recording community has been anxiously awaiting the arrival of a great mic pre that will deliver it all for a song. Last year, Alan Hyatt of PMI Audio in Torrance, California designed and introduced the Studio Projects line of C and T series microphones, and in plain view made it very known that he partnered with 797 Audio in China to bring these babies affordably to the masses. Praises of the large diaphragm condenser mics quickly spread over the internet. People called it hype until they finally gave in, tried the mics and joined the club.

The VTB1 currently retails for $229 and has been seen on the street for $179.

When I first received the VTB1 from Alan for review, I somehow didn't want to like it. Lucky me. There are some things I don't like. I don't like the name, and I can't remember it. VTB1 is stupid and doesn't sit well on the tongue when you're referring to it in the studio. Even Studio Projects can't decide what to call it. On their website the unit pictured has VT-1 on it, but yet it's called a VTB-1 right above the picture, and – if that weren't enough – it's listed as the VTP-1 on the top of the browser. I say we call it the V1 and be done with it. "Hey man, patch in the V1." Simple. Sounds cool – and you can remember it.

I also expected a little more from Studio Projects in the way of packaging and cosmetic design. It looks like a $200 mic pre. No more, no less. I'd like to see a 19" rackmount version with dual VTB1's in the near future, too. The V2.

In Use
I drove a couple of hours away to a studio I've been designing. I'd like to thank Mark L for lending his studio and another set of ears to test the VTB1.

The first order of business was to get this puppy hooked up. I still hadn't seen the unit powered on, and in hindsight, I would have liked to have "burned the unit in" by leaving it on for a week. One little "gift" from Studio Projects is that inside the VTB1 there's an indigo-bluish light that glows. Nothing wrong with a little atmosphere enhancer.

One thing I didn't like was that the XLR jacks in the back didn't seem to lock the XLR mic cable into place very well.

Although there are quite a few positions on the "tube drive", for the sake of economy, I recorded five separate passes for each instrument, one at SS – which sits at 7 o'clock on the dial, second pass at 9 o'clock, third pass at high noon, forth pass at 3 o'clock and the last pass cranked – which lands at about 5 o'clock. I'll be using these as references for this review.

We decided to add tracks to a song already in-progress to not only get an idea of the additive quality of the VTB1 over several tracks, but also to compare it to tracks that had been tracked with an HHB Radius 40 – which is a channel strip I have used and highly recommended over the past couple of years.

The first audition was with an acoustic guitar miked with an Oktava MC012 with a cardioid capsule running straight to the VTB1 and then into the console. No compression, no EQ. We recorded five passes, the first one at the "SS" solid state setting, as there is no tube introduced into the signal at this stage. The first thing I noticed – even though we were riding the gain levels pretty high – was that the VBT1 itself was dead quiet. No hum, no hiss, no RF noises. As we made each guitar pass and cranked on the tube-drive knob, the presence and intensity of the tone and sound would increase. After we got to the passes that were near the end of the scale, things just started to sound dirty. Not unlike an amplifier that gives you about 80% of usable volume. Nonetheless, Alan leaves it up to you as to how much you want, and I'm sure there may be applications for the higher tube settings that I haven't yet investigated. Mark and I both agreed that the guitar sounded best around the 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock range.

Next up to bat were some vocal tracks cut with a Studio Projects C1 microphone. On the first pass on the SS setting, it was clearly apparent that this preamp is serious. We continued doing passes and cranking up the dial each time. Each pass was clearly different in texture than the preceding one. And, again, all the passes sounded stunning until we reached the last quarter of the dial. High noon seemed to be the sweet spot this time.

Number three in line was a bass plugged directly into the DI on the front panel. We tracked the bass with no compression and no EQ. Of course, the sound of the bass didn't sit as well uncompressed, but, nevertheless, it accurately brought out the tone of the bass on the SS setting and really came to life at 9 o'clock on the dial. In all fairness, I'd have to say the explorations into the bass going DI aren't conclusive as I'd need to better set up the entire chain for the bass, but I heard nothing objectionable, and the bass came through with nice, full frequencies.

Last up was a Yamaha grand piano miked with an AKG 414. More passes and dial cranking. In this case, the SS setting was the way to go. Again, beautiful. Nice and transparent.

We also listened to some additional passes with the 70Hz high-pass filter engaged, and, again it did the job. A high-pass filter can be an important tool to have at the preamp stage, and I'm glad to see Studio Projects included this feature.

Critical Listening
After we had all these passes recorded, it was time to listen back. We solo'ed tracks, listened to them in context with drums and other tracks recorded earlier, and also A/B'ed them with the same parts recorded with the Radius 40.

Auditioning every pass was like bringing up a different quality. All of the first three passes sounded great – so it's more of a matter of deciding which setting would help the track best sit in the song. After selecting what we felt were the best passes on each take, we did some A/B'ing. I must say, as much as I like the Radius 40, the difference of the VTB1 was surprising. In technical terms, it completely blew the doors off the Radius 40. No contest. I have been a long-time user of high-end and mid-range TL Audio products, and I have never felt the mic pre on the Radius 40 is outstanding, but still, as an overall tube-hybrid front-end for a project studio at $600 or under, it was the winner. After hearing the VTB1, I've changed my mind.

The difference in sound between the units could be likened to the Radius 40 sounding as a spilled drop of ink on a piece of paper with "bleeding" around the spot. The VTB1, on the other hand, sounds more like a defined, deliberate mark with little to no bleeding around the edges – even as the dial is cranked and the tube pushed harder. The sound of the VTB1 is warm without sacrificing definition.

I have never heard a mic pre under $1000 that sounds and acts like the VTB1! The missing link in the price vs. performance chain has arrived.

The next time we can get together, Mark and I will be raising the A/B bar by putting the VTB1 up against Neve and API mic pres – two of the heaviest hitters in the audio industry, and the definitive mic pres for "warm" (Neve), and "transparent" (API).

Conclusion
The gods must be smiling on Alan Hyatt. I know some of the high-brow audio people may dismiss my findings and the "starved-plate" technology employed in the design. But consider that Alan has recently struck a deal with legendary mic modder Stephen Paul to bring the first SP microphone to market. That is no small feat, and a huge reflection on Alan Hyatt's talent.

The VTB1 has got to be the "Swiss Army Knife" of mic preamps. Not only does it allow for a wide variety of sounds, from transparent to bordering on tube insanity, it also delivers a killer direct box and an insert that acts as a splitter box. Record two tracks at once, one with with the dialed-in tube sound of your choice and the other completely bipassing the tube circuitry. The age-old project-studio owner question, "should I get a tube mic pre or a solid state pre?" – is history. With the VTB1 you get both and then some.

This box offers so much versatility, that if I was somehow limited to recording an entire song with only one pre, I would seriously consider the VTB1 for the task. I know of no other mic pre at any price that offers this kind of flexibilty and tonal range. The VTB1 is certain to join the ranks as one of most innovative audio products of the year.

Last edited:
Thx Dot! I must say that Alan's mics' designs, performances and construction leads the way in affordable and dependable gear
for the economically challenged like myself! I luv reading threads
from Harv-Master G , Hyatt and the likes of yourselves who provide thorough analysis thru actual use of mics in this price range!
Again,thx!

Nice job, Dot. Thanks.

I guess the only question left is VTB1 or RNP. But at these prices, one of each isn't totally out of the question. :) I've loved my Mackie for the past two years, but it looks like it may be time to go for a true pre. (BTW, you might want to consider an A/B against the Grace as well. That seems to have been the entry level choice for the project studio - 'til now.)

dachay2tnr said:
Nice job, Dot. Thanks.

I guess the only question left is VTB1 or RNP. But at these prices, one of each isn't totally out of the question. :) I've loved my Mackie for the past two years, but it looks like it may be time to go for a true pre. (BTW, you might want to consider an A/B against the Grace as well. That seems to have been the entry level choice for the project studio - 'til now.)

That is the beauty of this. The RNP and the VTB-1 are totally different mic pres at a different price point. There is really no way to do a comparison thing. Yes, you may want both, or you may want none, or whatever, but comparing them is comparing apples and oranges.

We are just trying to get the word to the public that the VTB-1 is out and it is shipping. Units are at the dealers now. Get one if you want to, wait for the RNP, or get both. Hell both units are still only $679.00...Not a bad price to pay for two really good units!!!!
Well three since the VTB-1 has two sounds to it.

I see that the spin doctors are alive and well and have visited our site to try and convince the unknowing that the VTB1 is the best thing in mic pres.

Only time will tell. Frankly, if I take this as a review it is weak hyperbole at best. No other pres were compared, very few mikes. This is more propaganda than review.

If I take it as your opinion then great, I'm glad you liked it. Just don't make statements like "I know of no other mic pre at any price that offers this kind of flexibilty and tonal range. The VTB1 is certain to join the ranks as one of most innovative audio products of the year" without providing a head to head comparison. This makes you sound nieve or possilby paid to make statements.

By the way, I will be buying and tryng the VTB1 if I don't choke on such drivel first.

Middleman said:
By the way, I will be buying and tryng the VTB1 if I don't choke on such drivel first.
And we'll be interested in your opinion as well, once you get it, midman.

A mic pre-amp for under $200 is certain to get all the homerec'ers attention - just on price alone. Information that comes from anyone other than the manufacturer is of value - even if it's just an opinion.

Sometimes the "holier than thou" attitude around here gets to me. I think we're all big boys and can make our own decisions. I doubt Dot was paid to make his comments, but who really knows? In reality he could actually be Alan Hyatt registered under another screen name.

Caveat Emptor. But I'd still rather have this review, than not have it.

Maybe Dot's review IS a magazine review he has written and just c&p'd over here, hence the "glossy" style of expression.

Not that it really matters, as we have a couple of other "reviews"/opinions on the VTB going on here that are only supported by Dot's comments.

Maybe anyone considering criticising the methodology used for these conclusions to be reached about the VTB (or anything else), would like to do their own comparisons, the way they think they should be done............then post a review of their own.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i kinda got that impression, ausrock....

its not that im doubting anything Dot says....and im definitely not doubting the VTB-1.....he is a trusted member here as far as im concerned.....it was just a little too much fluff and stuff for me....

ausrock said:
Maybe Dot's review IS a magazine review he has written and just c&p'd over here, hence the "glossy" style of expression.

I don't think so. Dots other reviews of the SP stuff used a similar style

Not that it really matters, as we have a couple of other "reviews"/opinions on the VTB going on here that are only supported by Dot's comments.

The problem I had with the review is that too few tests (3 mics?) were done to support such sweeping statements, and he left off mentioning other features that would heavily influence the test results, like the mic impedance switch.

Maybe anyone considering criticising the methodology used for these conclusions to be reached about the VTB (or anything else), would like to do their own comparisons, the way they think they should be done............then post a review of their own.

I did that, and came up with pretty much the same results that Dot did, but his review still makes me feel a little uneasy, for the reasons I mentioned.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I'm sorry, but it really reads like a paid ad for the company, and that kind of "glowing" review has always bothered me, especially when the testing procedure seems incomplete to me. I guess I'd rather have a reputation for accuracy and thoroughness than a grandious style.

"If you could only have one preamp, this is it!" - when he's only tried it with a couple of mics? No mention of a major gain/tone changing feature that would seriously change the results of his testing?

My rant has absolutely nothing to do with the product - it is a very good preamp - worthy of consideration in any size studio. And even though he came to the same conclusions, the path by which he arrived at those conclusions is flawed, and that's where my problem lies with his review.

Harvey,

Your assessment of a product is always greatly anticipated and valued, and I believe to be always, a well balanced opinion.

Dot's style of expression, (glossy/salesman like., etc) did not escape me, nor did the limited number of mics used...............however, I personally don't have the background or experience to presume to be a public critic of his methods.

My last comment you "highlighted" was definitely not pointed in your direction, but towards those who choose to be "armchair critics" before they have made an effort to do their own "tests" or comparisons.

Sorry, but I copped a flaming 12 months ago over a C1/414/U87/etc., thread I started, and I came to the conclusion then, that the main critics found it much more productive to sit on their collective arses and take shots at others rather than get out and do their own investigative assessments.

:cool:

The only posts I've ever seen Dot make are about SP products. I am not going to jump to conclusions, but let's just say that I take him with a heaping pillar of salt.

-Jett

It's along the same lines as the problem I had with the ProRec review of the C1.

First, the guy says that it sounds exactly like a Neumann U87 - not just close or similar - exactly the same sound, identical, no difference whatsoever, even in the slightest possible way.

OK, maybe so. I'll suspend belief for the time I'm reading the article and believe 100% that this pro with really great ears says these two mics are identical.

A few paragraphs later, he says, it doesn't sound like a U87; it sounds better. That made me go ballistic.

I would gladly believe either assertion was true, but not both, in the same article. If he says it's identical and his review is to be trusted, it should sound identical to anybody making the same test, not similar, but identical.

But if it's "better", then it should also be readly apparent that it's "better" and NOT identical.

I haven't finished my testing of the RNP or the VTB-1, but there are definite differences: The Shure SM-57 sounded far better on the RNP, as did the RCA 44BX.

The RCA 77DX was outstanding on the VTB-1 and did poorer on the RNP. But those are some of the points to be covered in a later review of both units.

I would buy the VTB-1 if only because of how good the 77DX sounded thru it. On the other hand, the RNP lifts a blanket off the top end like no other preamp I've ever heard. But I haven't tried it on a lot of mics in my collection yet.

I haven't tried the VBT-1 on a lot of other stuff either, but I'm fairly confident, it will perform well on most things, given the testing I've already done on a fair representation of several different types of microphones.

I wouldn't say that if I had just tried it on a couple of microphones - all of similar design.

ausrock said:
...Not that it really matters, as we have a couple of other "reviews"/opinions on the VTB going on here that are only supported by Dot's comments...

As an FYI,
Just in case... I know how there's a lot of skepticism/suspicion about user reviews/opinions... I am certainly not one of the "others". Since there were no specifics about who the "others" are, I make myself very clear.

Bowisc

Isnt the RNP comparisons moot now that they have added 125.00 to the final price? Wont taking the blanket off of the high end make it harsh on digital?

give me a nice warm pre for vocals and Ill use my accurate ones for everything else. I think Its apples and oranges and we shouldnt try to do everything with one pre.

Im happy you trashed the Mackie pres Harvey, Ive allways disliked them and didnt say nothing because of the crap Id get. But you notice that no one has yet too vocally disagree with you yet.

:cool:

Similar style? Look at my original Studio Projects C1 review. There's typos and CAPS and YELLING and ...

I like to write. Sue me. I've got a novel I'm working on.

Jeez, I post on all kinds of shit. Read this stuff on TL Audio gear.

The reason I don't come to HR more often is because the server is so fucking slow. I've waited minutes for pages to turn here. I'm on cable w/ a G3.

My C1 review got posted here last year and people bitched and moaned until the proof started to come out when members began buying them and finding out for themselves. These days, the few people left who have never tried a C1 and are still yelling, "hype!" are dicks.

Same thing's gonna happen w/ this pre.

Actually, the same thing will happen on every new model I put out to market. This is just the way it is on HR. :D

Back