resting laptop on tascam us1800

I would not be overly concerned.

The Tascam is a flat, steel surface ideal for a laptop. The unit draws some 7.2W and that, distributed over its considerable area is not a lot, in any event the 1800 is specified to work from 5 to 35C but I doubt it would ever get to the latter figure in "free air".

The intercooler shelf looks good so long as it is silent?

As regards mutual interference I doubt it. All modern equipment has to pass pretty stringent emission tests and there would be two shields between the two sets of electronics. (in fact the fan tray might be the most electrically noisy one of the bunch!)

Dave.

The intercooler shelf looks good so long as it is silent?
That's kind of relative term. :) Because it's in my office, I haven't really considered its noise level in the context of recording. It has wide blades that move at a relatively low speed -- I can't hear it when it's on, but that's not saying a lot. It is quieter than the fan in my laptop. Just bear in mind that this is coming from the guy who records in an untreated room in which there is one computer and NAS devices, each with fans, plus I have tinnitus, so I may not be the best judge of silence. :listeningmusic:

alright thanks, well either way the fan stand would make a good stand on its own so if it does make a lot of noise I could just turn it off. The design of i helps the air flow from underneath the laptop so obviously whether the fan is on or not it is going to help.

If you know a drummer ask them for 4 of the card bored packaging things they use to sell sticks in. get them fill them with balled up paper, put them at the 4 corners of your Tascam and put your laptop on that. Thats exactly what i do. works fine. gives it room to air out and theres really no pressure on the interface cause its all going into the corners of the system which are by far the most stable spots

Back