resting laptop on tascam us1800

ollie99

Hey
I have a tascam us1800 and I was wondering if it is okay to rest my laptop on it as it would conserve a lot of space and make things much easier?
I considered it when I first got it but I thought it would damage it but I've realised that it is designed to go on a rack so close contact shouldn't be a problem and it's not like it's not like my laptop is really heavy. The specs say that it's 2.5kg.
Thanks

I'd be more worried about the heat it generates and transfers into the US1800 than the weight.

Usually the laptop fan is on the bottom and you will probably block it. Get something to raise it a bit and put some space between it. As far as weight, should be a problem, but blocking your fan and adding heat to the interface would probably make the units deteriorate faster (heat is the problem with most electronics going bad).

my laptop does have a side fan as well and the bottom fan is usually covered most the time and my laptop never seems to get hot but I wouldn't want to risk it. So if I do get a laptop stand do you think it'd be okay to rest it on there? providing the stand doesn't weight a ton of course

my laptop does have a side fan as well and the bottom fan is usually covered most the time and my laptop never seems to get hot but I wouldn't want to risk it. So if I do get a laptop stand do you think it'd be okay to rest it on there? providing the stand doesn't weight a ton of course

OK, let me say it this way, I would do it and not think too much about it. (Being careful here).

As with anything else, "it depends." Heat is the enemy of electronics. How hot does your laptop get? I recently invested in a new i7 quad-core laptop, crammed it with 16 gig of ram, and decided I wanted it to last a good, long time. I've been through a number of laptops and never had one fail because of heat-related deterioration, but I've also never had one as powerful as this. I don't keep it on top of anything but my desk at the office, but it's on all day. Believing safe was better than sorry, I got one of these:

20093311525070555.jpg

They're not that expensive and might be a compromise for you.

Yeah I found one for £17 that seems quite good so I'll get that at some point. I will wait till I move my studio into a different room mid september because then I will have a smaller desk and will need to have something like this.

I'd be a little concerned about your vents (dealt with), but I'd also wandering about interference from the laptop to the interface.
I don't know if that's a real concern, but put it this way; Nothing's going to break immediately. :p

Proceed with caution. ;)

I'd be a little concerned about your vents (dealt with), but I'd also wandering about interference from the laptop to the interface.
I don't know if that's a real concern, but put it this way; Nothing's going to break immediately. :p

Proceed with caution. ;)

the us1800 does feel like a sturdy thing and I think I'll be fine as long as I place things on there gently :)

the us1800 does feel like a sturdy thing and I think I'll be fine as long as I place things on there gently :)

I think from a pure structure there should be no issues. Just be careful of the heat and maybe what Steen was referring to, some possible interference with noise.

What might actually cause the interference?

You'd be surprised!
Idk how likely it is in this scenario, but just to get an idea of what's constantly buzzing around you, put your headphones on and go round the room pointing a live mic at stuff.

Point it at your mains powered interface. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

I was thinking you're putting powered fans inches away from your audio circuitry. Worth being aware of, at least.

You'd be surprised!
Idk how likely it is in this scenario, but just to get an idea of what's constantly buzzing around you, put your headphones on and go round the room pointing a live mic at stuff.

Point it at your mains powered interface. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

I was thinking you're putting powered fans inches away from your audio circuitry. Worth being aware of, at least.

I haven't actually pointed a mic at anything but I have noticed an increased buzz before.

what would you do in my situation? is it worth getting a stand that doesn't have a fan or just not use the fan on the stand?

I haven't actually pointed a mic at anything but I have noticed an increased buzz before.

what would you do in my situation? is it worth getting a stand that doesn't have a fan or just not use the fan on the stand?

Just be aware and try it out.
Set her all up, arm some tracks, listen for buzz.

If there's no problem, there's no problem. :)

Just be aware and try it out.
Set her all up, arm some tracks, listen for buzz.

If there's no problem, there's no problem. :)

okay awesome thanks :)

Can't wait to set my studio up properly, then I will be able to take some pics that might be worth posting on the forum :)
The main problem with the room I am in at the moment is that 2 of the walls are pretty much all glass. They do have big curtains that can cover them but it is still pretty embarrassing calling it my studio when the room really isn't suited for it

Back