Replacemeent tube for my plder model l mp 47 Lawson

Jer-Bear

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there are any suggestions for a top notch tube for my Lawson Mp 47. Presently it takes a 6072 tube. I have called Gene Lawson and he referred me to tube depot to purchase a replacement. When I looked at their website they had many different brands and types. With me not being much of a techie, I was wondering if there is anyone any one out there that can give me some suggestions and advice. Also when I change the tube , would there be any type of bias or technical adjustments that I would have to make in addition to just exchanging tubes?

Thanks much Jer-Bear

No adjustements...just swap out the tube (power supply off...of course).

AFA which brand...you kinda have to go with what people say if you never had the opportunity to try those tubes yourself.
I have a bunch of NOS 6072 tubes...and the way I pick one is to put it in the mic, test record some audio/vocals, then put in a different tube and repeat, then again with another one...etc...and then I choose the one that sounded best by comparing the recorded test tracks.
Of course...before getting to that point, I've already tested the tubes in a tube tester to see which ones had the best readings, and I picked the top 3-4 to try in the mic.

None of that may be of any help to you if you have no tube tester or a bunch of 6072 tubes...so, you'll have to go with whatever the seller has, and then pick according to the description and price.

THIS gentleman right here at H.R. will help you out you can ask as many questions as possible and he will help you choose the best possible one for you. ;)

I'll just add that regardless of the hype or history of a particular tube brand/vintage/place of manufacture...untill you put into your mic/amp, there's no way to tell how it will sound.

As an example...I have a sleeve of RCA 6072 tubes....they all sound a little different in the mic, but they all test about the same...though generally, they sound equally good, just each one a bit different.

Thanks guys,

I think after reading these posts and going the suggested the related websites, I just realized how much I really don't know about this subject. So I decided to research similar tubes that are similar to my mic and decided on a 1960 Ge. jg-12ay7/6072 for possible purchase. Any added input or advice on something else that someone would recommend? I appreciate all the input that I get from this site and thank you all.

Jer-Bear

Back