Replace my C1000S with what cheap condenser?

parkbirds

I’m selling my C1000S, because I don’t really like the sound for overheads, or anything else besides guitar amps and acoustic guitars.

I’m looking for a condenser in the same price range, I know there is no real reason to care too much about cheap condensers, but I <b>don’t</b> want something that sounds like the C1000S again.

I’m looking at the (because of this board):

MXL V67G
SP B1

Mostly I will use it for a (low-volume) mono overhead, maybe vocals (probably not), and whatever else comes about. I like things to sound (especially drums) a little old/midrangy, flooded, not any harsh treble; I don’t really need it to be ‘crisp’. FYI my pre is a RNP; I’ll probably be using a really dead space soon for drums.

I’m up for anything new, hyped, old, vintage, bagged on, whatever. This will be my only condenser for the moment (dynamics have just been working out for me). My budget is about up to $200 or around there, but would rather spend about $100; so I can have some money left over to buy things that will get more use. Any suggestions?

Studio project B1. Very good all around mic.

Oktava MK319 sort of fits you discription of "I like things to sound (especially drums) a little old/midrangy, flooded, not any harsh treble; I don’t really need it to be ‘crisp’." Matter of fact, that almost discribes it to a "T". It also has a pad and a roll-off. Might be just the ticket for what you want. GC is selling them very cheap right now.

Blessings, Terry

Try and see if you can hunt down any of the CAD M37s that might be floating around out there. You see 'em on ebay a lot.

The 797 Audio B1 is also pretty good.

And of course there's the Oktava MC012. Not sure if it would be dark enough for you, but at least it wouldn't be harsh like the C1000's.

Are there still quality control issues with the Oktava MK319? The thought of trying out a bunch of MK319’s at my local guitar center, would um.. just be terrible. Any one have a ‘good one’ they want to sell to me?

The CAD M37 looks interesting, too bad it’s really ugly. I hate to be superficial. I’m gonna read more about it.

So what’s the verdict with the MXL V67G on things other than vocals? Does it have an upfront mid rangy sound for everything? Or too much of an exaggerated high end for my taste?

These mics are so cheap I may just buy a bunch and then sell the ones that don’t work out. Any other suggestions? Anything overlooked?

(by the way Mark7, Id’ love to buy another dynamic, but I feel like I need at least one condenser, for overheads, and whatever-else comes up). It should be said that the only other mics I have right now are (2) SM57’s and a SM58. So if there is something that seems like it would make my capturing more flexible, let me know people.

Park, the B1 isn't harsh, but it's crisp/detailed.

Although the B1 is a good microphone, it sounds like you're talking about more about a "ribbonish" dynamic like an Electro-Voice EV RE15. It's one of those desert island type microphones for many engineers. VERY underated and a fine vocal mic.

There's one on e-bay right now, so nobody "snipe" him. :D

With the money left over, you can still get something like a B1,
in addition, to cover more bases.

Chris

parkbirds said:
I’m selling my C1000S, because I don’t really like the sound for overheads, or anything else besides guitar amps and acoustic guitars.

I’m looking for a condenser in the same price range, I know there is no real reason to care too much about cheap condensers, but I <b>don’t</b> want something that sounds like the C1000S again.

I’m looking at the (because of this board):

MXL V67G
SP B1

Mostly I will use it for a (low-volume) mono overhead, maybe vocals (probably not), and whatever else comes about. I like things to sound (especially drums) a little old/midrangy, flooded, not any harsh treble; I don’t really need it to be ‘crisp’. FYI my pre is a RNP; I’ll probably be using a really dead space soon for drums.

I’m up for anything new, hyped, old, vintage, bagged on, whatever. This will be my only condenser for the moment (dynamics have just been working out for me). My budget is about up to $200 or around there, but would rather spend about $100; so I can have some money left over to buy things that will get more use. Any suggestions?
Oktava MC-012's.

Are there still quality control issues with the Oktava MK319? The thought of trying out a bunch of MK319’s at my local guitar center, would um.. just be terrible. Any one have a ‘good one’ they want to sell to me?

I think the quality control thing is more important if you are trying to get a matched pair. I'm not sure it is as much an issue if you are just buying one. Maybe I'm wrong. I got mine from GC and it works fine. I don't know if they had "better sounding" ones there that day, but mine works fine and it is what it is. Certainly not my first choice, but it sounds so much like your discription that I felt it should at least be offered as an option. I hear of guys buying them for like $50 a GC, and at that price it is a nobrainer AFAIAC.

Blessings, Terry

MXL V57.
40$ at Musician's Friend, and beats the hell out of the C1000.
Great on overheads, accoustic guitar and some voices.

Oren

I'm going to GC in the morning to check out a MK319 (if they have one).

So, I'll give my verdict soon. And, maybe look into other cheapies if it's not my taste. Probably order a B1.

I'm going to GC in the morning to check out a MK319 (if they have one).

So, I'll give my verdict soon. And, maybe look into other cheapies if it's not my taste. Probably order a B1.

verdict

Well,

I did not check out the MK319 at GC. I got sick, yuck. I did however pick up a EV RE15. I'm really happy about that one.

I figure my RNP gets hot enough to run a 57(s) as a quasi overhead if need be. Or, any dynamic. The drums I’ll be using in my next project only consist of kick, snare, hat & floor tom, so I’m not dealing with so many elements.

I’ll see how it plays out though, if it doesn’t work I’ll buy the B1. The quality control for the MK319 makes me nervous, hopefully they will still have them at GC just in case.

Thanks for all your help!

Back