Reducing room/background/ambient noise

Finally, we didn't talk about the mic position. Don't forget that sound follows the inverse square law. If the mic is 18 inches from your guitar, try moving it to 9 inches--and, once you've adjusted the levels, you should find any room noise is only a quarter what it used to be.

^^This. I was going to say try moving the mic to within 3" of the neck of the guitar where neck and box of the guitar meet - and see if it sounds better. I like the sound of a very close mic'd acoustic - but especially if you're having issues with potential noise (assuming it's not your mic pre or system producing the noise).

edit: I read rest of thread and just realized you have hardware issues. Even when that is sorted- try closer mic to allow lower preamp level and see if it helps

Thanks for all your tips again. I've already experimented with placing the mic closer, turn down the gain and play a little louder, and it has indeed helped to hide the system hiss quite a bit. Now, I'll experiment more, looking for the limits of how close I can mic the guitar with it still sounding good.

Thanks everyone!

Back