Recording vocals in car?

Sometimes people get a little too carried away...and if someone tells them so, right away there are folks who want to make it seem like every experiment is worth attempting for the sake of the art.
If someone has the inclination and the time, why not ? The alternative is to not try things and just take everybodys' word for it. Then get pilloried for having no originality ! :D :laughings:
I think sometimes people who are new to recording seem determined to simply ignore what came before and make up their own rules.
Actually, I often observe the opposite on HR. If I had £10 for every "how do I get this sound....."/"Why do my recordings suck....."/"What's the best way to record bass/guitar/piano etc"/"How can I sound like ___________" type threads I wouldn't be a millionaire but I could go on a very comfortable five week holiday, somewhere......mysteriously exotic.
Often newcomers to recording are looking precisely for "the secrets", the rules, the principles........and the experimentation doesn't really kick in until later if it does at all. Because more often than not, experimentation in non standard practices are given short shrift, laughed at and cast as utter idiocy, fine for a bygone age but really, no longer part of modern recording.
What I've noticed as being more common is someone with an idea in mind seeking some kind of validation for it and then when a number of voices weigh in against the idea, the OP getting into a bit of a strop. Or disappearing.
But given that we generally espouse the "there are no rules/if it sounds good, it is good" kind of philosophy across numerous forums and threads {the reality is of course somewhat different}, it's not surprizing if there is an undercurrent of unreality among some of those entering the fray.

If someone has the inclination and the time, why not ? The alternative is to not try things and just take everybodys' word for it. Then get pilloried for having no originality ! :D :laughings:Actually, I often observe the opposite on HR. If I had £10 for every "how do I get this sound....."/"Why do my recordings suck....."/"What's the best way to record bass/guitar/piano etc"/"How can I sound like ___________" type threads I wouldn't be a millionaire but I could go on a very comfortable five week holiday, somewhere......mysteriously exotic.
Often newcomers to recording are looking precisely for "the secrets", the rules, the principles........and the experimentation doesn't really kick in until later if it does at all. Because more often than not, experimentation in non standard practices are given short shrift, laughed at and cast as utter idiocy, fine for a bygone age but really, no longer part of modern recording.
What I've noticed as being more common is someone with an idea in mind seeking some kind of validation for it and then when a number of voices weigh in against the idea, the OP getting into a bit of a strop. Or disappearing.
But given that we generally espouse the "there are no rules/if it sounds good, it is good" kind of philosophy across numerous forums and threads {the reality is of course somewhat different}, it's not surprizing if there is an undercurrent of unreality among some of those entering the fray.
I so often agree with ya'.

If you want to be REALLY good at something it's often better to do the things that don't work yourself instead of just being told. That way you understand WHY it doesn't work well and that knowledge is there to apply to other things that may have some similarities.
Otherwise you never get past just asking someone else what to do and that 'happy accident' never happens.

I very rarely ask anyone's advice here or on other forums. I'm more interested in doing it myself and learning from whatever happens.

Actually, I often observe the opposite on HR.

I said "sometimes people who are new to recording"....I didn't say always.

Again...we can do the "just try it" thing all day long, but there is reality that will always be there.
Sure, you don't want to tell someone every little step and hold their hand through everything...but anyone here who assumes the roll of "teacher" (and many of us do a lot of the time with newbs)...has to provide a little experienced guidance.
Imagine if every question you posed to your teachers was always answered only with "try it". :)

I think of all the times people ask about using foam for acousitcs...and just about everyone here jumps up to say "NO don't do it".
Why don't we all say..."just try it"...?
Because it's a dumb idea and it won't work well.

But hey....I'm all for the OP trying it if it that's what he's determined to do. :D
Though I think even he suspected it was a "stupid thought"...so why nudge him into it.

He'll probably do it.....then come back and start asking for help on how to EQ, compress and make it sound better. :laughings:

A car sounds a lot like the sort of small vocal booth this forum is constantly advising people NOT to build in their houses--sort of boxy and a empty.

I don't know if I can agree with that. A car has glass windows, a hard plastic dash/doors and a crazy low ceiling (also hard plastic) - there would be sound reflecting off of everything (except maybe the seats). At least with a small vocal booth you can use treatment to control reflections (and then add reverb/delay to simulate a more open environment. A small vocal booth can also be built in a way to control some outside sounds from compromising the recording - a car (even a BMW) can do little to keep out environmental sounds.

I have to agree that it seems like an impractical idea - but if someone wants to experiment and is willing to accept the potential for a less than ideal result and is willing to commit valuable time to what will likely be a failed experiment - go for it.

Many recording techniques now considered groundbreaking in their time started as a new, creative and possibly impractical idea ....... maybe in the future recording in a car will be considered a norm like flanging is now.

Give it a try, a lot of rappers do it i think. The sirens and gunshots in the background help confirm that the rappers actually live in bad neighborhoods.:D But actually, the acoustics would be crappy and it would be hard to have proper breathing technique inside a car. Vocals should be done while standing.

You could give concerts at the local drive-in that closed in 1982. Everyone will be in their cars, so they'll get the full effect.

For some strange reason I also think sometimes I sound better whilst driving or in the shower, maybe it's the fact that you are more comfortable and relaxed and singing naturally whrereas once you hit that record button in your home studio you are trying more harder and putting more effort and so may sound different.

I don't know if I can agree with that. A car has glass windows, a hard plastic dash/doors and a crazy low ceiling (also hard plastic) - there would be sound reflecting off of everything (except maybe the seats). At least with a small vocal booth you can use treatment to control reflections (and then add reverb/delay to simulate a more open environment. A small vocal booth can also be built in a way to control some outside sounds from compromising the recording - a car (even a BMW) can do little to keep out environmental sounds.

You must drive pretty cheap cars!

In most, the roof interior is lined with fabric, as are the doors. The large soft seats occupy a significant proportion of the inside.

In any case, my post wasn't based on speculation--it came from doing hundreds of hours of interviews and "into camera" reports shot in cars. They sound boxy and hollow most of the time. If the OP likes that sound nothing stopping him from trying it--but it's never going to be a universal technique any more than doing vocals in a foam-lined closet.

I think of all the times people ask about using foam for acousitcs...and just about everyone here jumps up to say "NO don't do it".
Why don't we all say..."just try it"...?
Because it's a dumb idea and it won't work well.

Well, there's one big difference between foam for acoustics and simply trying a new location for recording: to try the foam will cost significant amounts of money plus the time and effort to hang said foam. I'd say we have a fiduciary duty (how'd you like that--I'm just watching a lawyer show in TV :) ) to advise against expensive mistakes.

However, if somebody comes in saying they've heard the best way to mic an acoustic guitar is to face the mics away from the guitar and record the reflection off the opposite wall, that "try it" can be done with a couple of minutes effort and no cost at all. Telling the poster that it's a silly idea but "try it for yourself" is a learning experience.

Indeed I'd go a bit farther and suggest that newbies to recording SHOULD experiment with weird ideas on things like mic positioning. It costs nothing and quickly teaches you a bit of practical knowledge on acoustics and pick up patterns. I'm also a fan of crawling around in front of instruments and really listening to how the sound changes as you move--with a view to determining a sweet spot for a mic.

However, if somebody comes in saying they've heard the best way to mic an acoustic guitar is to face the mics away from the guitar and record the reflection off the opposite wall, that "try it" can be done with a couple of minutes effort and no cost at all.
I agree. The thing i find strange is why someone would be sitting in their studio with their mics, guitar and wall right in front of them, yet still feel the need to ask us for permission. :eek:

Please Mr. RAMI, may I try gaffer taping an LDC to each of my ears to see how that layout sounds for recording accordions?

I'm just wondering what happend to the OP.....?

Must be trying to figure out where to put the mic stand and if a shockmount is need while the Beemer is moving.....

I've heard that nude women make the best room treatment ..... is that true?

Not only can it be good room treatment - used properly it can be used to hold lyric sheets and with a certain level of creativily, there are places to hold a mic!!!! And depending on the shape of the head, there may even be somplace to set your beer!!!

Not only can it be good room treatment - used properly it can be used to hold lyric sheets and with a certain level of creativily, there are places to hold a mic!!!! And depending on the shape of the head, there may even be somplace to set your beer!!!

Don't forget the guitar stand ..... no photo needed. :D

Back