Recording vocals and... name this plugin(I think it is)!

Wazn

So I was watching this video and I was wondering... :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t39eJTD22pY&NR=1

If they were to record those vocals to each track. Wouldn't there be a sound spill from each voice and the guitar into each mic?

Also.

At the beginning of the video and at 1:14 we see the computer screen. Is that a plugin i see? If it is what plugin is it?

Thanks! :)

I would guess that this is not capturing the moment at all, but an attempt to make it look like that's what's going on. Not seeing any kind of recording type activity on the computer screen, the guitar player is moving around so much there's no way one mic could get that kind of consistent sound (not from my experience anyways), and the singers are also moving around a lot, as well as standing right beside each other. Not to mention the quality of the footage, and the editing that is pretty much seamless. To me, this is clearly a setup trying to market these guys, whoever they are, to the youtube/internet audience under the guise of 'exlcusive studio footage'. Sort of like that Kid Rock/Sheryl Crow video a few years back. Same concept, been done many times. ;)

From the layout of the plug in, looking at it from a distance & hashed up by youtubes video codec, it kinda looks like something trying to emulate an 1176ln compressor. Maybe the Universal Audio version?

well, yes some would leak into othe mics but think of it this way. If that was a live show on stage, you would hear each person clearly with their own respective mics without interference. We don't ever comment about that or worry about that. Yet in a studio environment people tend to get nutty about it. People think leakage is bad. Leakage IS GOOD. In general(IMO) it "CAN" help with a more live feel. I agree, looks like some sort of 1176 compressor but not a UA

Last edited:
Lee, you save me, not being a Protools guy I knew I had seen that plugin before but for the life of me could not think of the name, did not look like a UA of which I use all the time.

Lee, you save me, not being a Protools guy I knew I had seen that plugin before but for the life of me could not think of the name, did not look like a UA of which I use all the time.

oh hey it's cool brotha. There are things that are just so Pro Tools specific that it's understandable. I myself wish I could say I could pinpoint any plug-in anywhere, but it seems to prove impossible. I'm ok with that.

Not a bad plug-in, bombfactory does ok to put out some reliable stuff, but I think the UA 1176 version does better in my opinion.

To add a different perspective on what Red was saying about the movement being hard to get a consistent sound. I want to say that it is very possible to do so, which if you look into some of the mics, preamps and specifically a emaculate quiet room out there, these things do very well.

For example, the first time I ever hooked up a C414 (through an SSL 9000Js preamp) as an overhead on a drum kit, I was shocked to see exactly how much of the floor tom (the area it was positioned) came through in stunning clarity. In fact, the tom stood out so clear, present and defined that we ended up going without the tom mic. And the mic was about 3 feet above the kit in a very live room.

But despite all that, I want to say this video was done to a prerecorded track. However, it's not impossible to assume that you can get that kind of sound from a straight live session either. Hard to say what this one is.

Back