recording soundtrack of a movie

Dobalganero

Hello, this is my first post. I just registered. I have a question and searching for answers happened upon this website.
This is my dilemma. I want to record an audio byte from a movie I am watchin on my computer and attach it to a language forum. I need to record just the words. Just a small clip of the part I do not understand. Do you know how I can do that?. My computer is a decent HP. Do I want to have some kind of device installed so that I am able to play the film and the recording device at the same time and records the words that are spoken?. I tried the window sound recorder but it records nothing.

Merry Christmas to everyone, members and moderators.
I will appreciate any advice or help

Last edited:
Sometimes there's a "what you hear" or similar setting in your audio device menu that will enable your software to record what you play. But some hardware doesn't allow that. My DAW (professional recording software) has a feature that enables it regardless of the hardware.

I don't understand what you're saying. Do I need a digital audio workstation to record voices on a movie I am playing on my computer?. Is that what you mean?. If that will do the job, tell me how to go about it, pls. How would it work with a DAW?. Do I run it and then run the move and it records the sound?.
thanks

Last edited:
Sometimes there's a "what you hear" or similar setting in your audio device menu that will enable your software to record what you play. But some hardware doesn't allow that. My DAW (professional recording software) has a feature that enables it regardless of the hardware.
I have search through Sound in Settings and have found nothing except the usual

I use Vegas Pro, but it costs a bit. I bet there's other software that will do it. I might try VLC first.
Okay, I will give VLC a try. I have it sitting on my desktop and will get back to you on how good or bad it performs. Thank you so much for your help and comments. I really appreciate it.

It won't work The issue is that the movie is imbedded in a website. it is not a youtube video. On VCL I open Media tab, then open Network stream( I think this should be the tab to open) then hit play but it doesn't stream the movie even when I give it the url of the website and all. either I am not doing it the right way or it can not do it.

No you're over complicating it. You want to record what your computer sound card is doing. Loads of free software will do this. I actually use OBS - which is really for video streaming and it records the picture and the sound - and you can do all sorts. Google wise - try
record computer sound card audio output
this brings back loads of ways of doing it - if you're a bit of a technophobe - just hold your iphone to the speakers.

Well, thanks a lot. That sounds interesting. I will do my research and will try it on my own. I am mo strange to softwares. I am a teacher and I use a lot of educational softwares in class, but this is something a little more technical, if you had a tutorial of OBS and would like to send the link, thst would be great. All in all, I will try it if I hit a snag I will text you a couple of line here.
You are all so helpful!. I can't be thankful enough.

Well, thanks a lot. That sounds interesting. I will do my research and will try it on my own. I am mo strange to softwares. I am a teacher and I use a lot of educational softwares in class, but this is something a little more technical, if you had a tutorial of OBS and would like to send the link, thst would be great. All in all, I will try it if I hit a snag I will text you a couple of line here.
You are all so helpful!. I can't be thankful enough.
Or perhaps you'd write here the steps to use the OBS to capture the sound and image. As in,
Run it
Open....
Do this..

I will ask this favor of you if I can not manage it myself.
Thanks

er........ you're a teacher? Me too. Or at least I was. Install it, learn it - and only use youtube videos as a last resort. I'd bet that every one of your students are getting their free music this way? If you are a teacher you presumably studied how to learn? Maslow's Heirchy of needs struggles a bit with youtube videos. I don't want to be negative here, but I've provided a solution, and you want me to now explain how to do it? You have to do at least a bit of the work? I downloaded OBS and learned how it worked.
DELETE THAT
follow these instructions:
here

That took me 35 seconds. You really need to be willing to put some effort in - sorry, but for a teacher, this is really embarassing.

I downloaded it. It was easy to record sound, but how can I record sound and image?. what do I need to do to get the image as well?. maybe that is explained in the tutorial. I'll check.
Very user-friendly little thingy here. lol , you bet I am willing to put some effort into it. All what's needed. I will watch the tutorial and see if I can get the image as well, thanks my friend. Thanks for linkin' the instructions, man.

You can set it up to record just audio, or video too - just a case of selecting the correct source and the file format you want. It's optimised for video, so loads of people use it to record youtube videos where they are usuing their computer.

ecord just audio, or video too - just a case of selecting the correct source and the file format you want. It's optimised for video, so loads of people use it to record youtube videos where they are usuing their computer.
Okay, I am on it, thanks my friend. you still on retainer, ok, :P. You're right to be a little bit negative. You know, we, as teachers, use lots of little thingamajigs like kahoot, nearpod, canvas, so forth and so on, but I have never done this before so I can't help getting a little bit intimidated by the technical terms which I do not understand much.

Mr Rob, it works wonders when capturing sound. I tried to capture image and I can see it is capturing the image in the background of this I am going to show here. I can't see the image because this is in the way. I must be doing something wrong. I am attaching the pic here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-25 113053.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-25 113053.png
    185.6 KB · Views: 3
thanks a million, my friend. This time it captured both audio and image. It captured the video. Amazing little tool!. I appreciate your help!
1703523937583.png

Reactions: TAE
Back