Recording Drums...

Elton Bear said:
I can't listen 'coz Internet Explorer is gay, but I would say get a small stand for that egg you got - and don't put it inside the bass drum, put it about 1/2inch inside the hole (assuming the drum has a front head), it'll be punchy as hell and really stick out in the mix.

the d112 works better inside the drum for me, about midway between the heads.

of course, move around to your liking.

i dont find the d112 to sound good at all outside the drum. supposadly, thats where a beta 52 sounds best.

RAMI said:
Why do you think I was directing that at you??? Feeling guilty??? And, even if something DOES work for you, it's still never FACT, because it's never the ONLY way.
This is the problem. By thinking you have the only answer and never accepting criticism, one never progresses. The proof is always in the pudding.

Not feeling guilty. :)
You are right that there is never 1 way to do things, but I was just sharing my way of doing things that works well. Its a fact that it works, but its not a fact that its the only way to do things.

Peace,
Eck

TragikRemix said:
the d112 works better inside the drum for me, about midway between the heads.

of course, move around to your liking.

i dont find the d112 to sound good at all outside the drum. supposadly, thats where a beta 52 sounds best.
It all depends on what kick drum you are using, what beater head you are using, what style you are going for and how well the kick drum is tuned. In the middle sounds like a good place for a comprimise between direct slap and resonance.

Eck

ecktronic said:
It all depends on what kick drum you are using, what beater head you are using, what style you are going for and how well the kick drum is tuned. In the middle sounds like a good place for a comprimise between direct slap and resonance.

Eck

yes. it has just the right amount of resonance and just the right amount of punch for me.

I wish I could listen to your recording but I am using Dialup in the sticks....

These are my thoughts on the whole kick drum issue.
I use the D112. It all depends on the type of music and the direction that the artist is going in that justifies what I do with the kick placement. If I am recording Punk, Metal, or Rock they like a snappy big bottom kick. It is almost an artificial sound. Therefore I place the D112 just inside the whole of the kick head pointed directly at the beater and crank the highs on the eq and drop the mids and tweek some lows(I only eq after I have recorded). This way it will cut through the mix. Which is what the bands usually want. When it comes to blues, jazz, and some country and alt-rock I can lay it inside the drum and just pick up the phoom of the kick drum and not the snap. I never add reverb to the kick. I always have felt that the reverb on the rest of the kit, snare and room reverb is quite enough for the kick to deal with.
I XY the overheads. If all I am using is the overheads I point them somewhere between the toms and the cymbals depending on the drummer.
I usually have to expiriment with the snare.

You see what it all boils down to is whatever you think your gonna do will be foiled by those pesky rodents that hang out with the musicians...drummers! hehehe JJ

I have been micing my toms separately but would like to just use the overheads. I tried this once before but the cymbals were way above the toms and I couldn't bring them out. Any suggestions on how to get the toms to stand out more when using just O/H??

dturcotte said:
I have been micing my toms separately but would like to just use the overheads. I tried this once before but the cymbals were way above the toms and I couldn't bring them out. Any suggestions on how to get the toms to stand out more when using just O/H??
hit them harder. Take the cymbals up a bit higher than usual and set the OHs up so they are below the cymbals close to the Toms.

Eck

I always point the OH mics more at the toms than the cymbals when using just OHs. More over the drummers head than anything. eck is right about bring the Oh's down but I don't think I would take them further down than the cymbals. Many drummers have the cymbals way too close to the toms for recording anyway. What is it with drummers and a million different cymbals?

Signal 9 Studio said:
I always point the OH mics more at the toms than the cymbals when using just OHs. More over the drummers head than anything. eck is right about bring the Oh's down but I don't think I would take them further down than the cymbals. Many drummers have the cymbals way too close to the toms for recording anyway. What is it with drummers and a million different cymbals?
But if you bring the cymbals up as far as possible without it being uncomfortable for the drummer thn that should help a good deal.

Eck

The end of the song needs a different kick sound than the beginning...The double bass should definitely be more percussive. But I think the dynamics represented earlier on warrant the round, thumpy kick you've already captured. Just some advice, you've been given plenty on getting a different sound.

Oh, but because I've used D112s before, I thought I'd add that I got my best results (to me, the best results are a sound that has lots of resonance, lots of body, and beater sound as well) by placing the mic, with the resonator head on, about a quarter in, and aiming it from the bottom up at JUST below the beater with the mic itself slightly angled to the right (kinda tilted with the big beefy top part right). I dunno why, but that actually makes a difference.

ecktronic said:
hit them harder. Take the cymbals up a bit higher than usual and set the OHs up so they are below the cymbals close to the Toms.

Eck
If you do this can you still call them OH's?

NYMorningstar said:
If you do this can you still call them OH's?
Yeah more than not the mics used will be condensor mices, so they will pick up the whole kit in most positions, just that they will pick up the toms more than usual, which is what the guy is looking for.

Eck

ecktronic said:
Yeah more than not the mics used will be condensor mices, so they will pick up the whole kit in most positions, just that they will pick up the toms more than usual, which is what the guy is looking for.

Eck
It was a joke :rolleyes: Well I guess that's why I don't do stand up.

I've been on my hols (vacation) and just called back to check out my post.

I just need time now to take on board your comments and get back to you all. Thanks again for all your time and advice.

cheers

andy

Signal 9 Studio said:

Well, you see, they all sound different.
::Cough::.
Anyway. I'm a drummer first and foremost. I used to play with a ton of cymbals... let's see... hi-hats, 14" crash, 10" splash, 16" crash, china, 20" ride, 24" ride, 18" crash, trashy 16" crash... okay, you get the point. now i just have four cymbals plus the hats, though. But when you play WELL (like, with actual skill, unlike me), like say the drummer from SikTh, you can really utilize different cymbal sounds in cool ways. And if you do weird things with mics and stereo placement, you can get some crazy-awesome sounds with lots of cymbals.
Anyway, I'm rambling.
About the kick: right now my resonant head does NOT have a hole in it, but I'm getting a new head soon that does. I usually put my D112 in the hole about halfway. Ideally I'd have that in all the way, a subkick out front, and an SM57 on the outside near the pedal. Ideally when I have money for more mics, that is.

Finally finished downloading the WAV. K, as has been pointed out to me violently by people who swear by crappy equipment, I'm no expert, but here's my two cents, more about the actual drums than the mics. For the sort of stuff your drummer was playing, you'll want both heads on the snare a bit tighter. People always leave the bottom head especially too loose. Also, I'm not sure how the cymbals are set up, but if you can in any way bring the splash up, you should, because he seemed to be using it a lot in one part, and it's too low for that. Also, loosen up the resonant head on the kick.

Back