Recording Drums...

Synkrotron

The other night I was able to try my hand at recording acoustic drums. A drummer I know recently built a room within his garage with a view to doing just this so I arranged to get round to his and have a go at it.

My recording equipment now includes the following:-

Fostex MR8DH 8 track recorder (records up to 4 tracks at a time)
2 Rode NT1A's
1 SM58 Beta
1 AKG D112

I placed the AGK D112 inside the kick drum (on a blanket cos I was short of a mic stand). The SM58 Beta was positioned 2 inches above the snare. The two NT1A's were placed to the left and right of the overheads.

The NT1A's picked up everything, which is what I expected and also provide a reasonable stereo image of the cymbals and toms. The SM58 and the D112 now gives me the ability to separately treat the snare and kick according to taste.

I'll post a link to a 320kbps mp3 file which is a recording of the drummer just messing about with different things. He's a little rusty here and there so not really inviting comments on the drumming itself... just the recording. Be harsh... I need to really know what you think :)

Drum Recording

cheers

andy

I would've done about the same except either I'd have put the overheads in X-Y rather than spaced pair or even a mono overhead pointed down at the snare. Drums in three tracks with about as much control as you can get over the drum mix.

I'd have put the overheads in X-Y

sorry dood... I'm a total novice and I don't even know what X-Y means... do you mean front to back rather than left and right?

I do like to have that stereo sound hence my current set-up :)

but thanks for you reply ;)

Synkrotron said:
sorry dood... I'm a total novice and I don't even know what X-Y means... do you mean front to back rather than left and right?

I do like to have that stereo sound hence my current set-up :)

but thanks for you reply ;)
So both mics are close to each other in an X shape rather than far apart from each other. So the mics are in the middle of the kit pointing outwards rather than inwards.

When the beat picked up at around 4min 20, I could start to hear the nasty fake reverb. I know this wont be as noticeable in a full mix, but still could be better.

What reverb did you use? and settings?

Eck

I can't listen 'coz Internet Explorer is gay, but I would say get a small stand for that egg you got - and don't put it inside the bass drum, put it about 1/2inch inside the hole (assuming the drum has a front head), it'll be punchy as hell and really stick out in the mix.

Nicely tuned toms and nice stereo spread on the OHs.
Kick isnt very pronounced.

Sounds good all in all.

Thanks Eck... I can't take any credit for the tom tuning cos that's the drummers dept but I'm glad you liked what I was trying to acheive with the stereo spread :)

I do need to work on the kick though and I thought it sounded a bit slappy for my taste. I kinda rushed this out cos I wanted to get it online for both my chums and for some feedback here.

My next step is to bring the tracks into Sonar and start playing with idividual treatments or simply change the levels a bit.

So both mics are close to each other in an X shape rather than far apart from each other. So the mics are in the middle of the kit pointing outwards rather than inwards.

ahh... thanks for that... you learn something everyday ;)

When the beat picked up at around 4min 20, I could start to hear the nasty fake reverb. I know this wont be as noticeable in a full mix, but still could be better.

eek... again, cos I rushed it out I didn't spend enough time on the effects and in fact I would have been better leaving the recording dry. I just used the meagre effects that came with the Fostex MR8HD, including some so called 'Natural' mastering...

but I would say get a small stand for that egg you got

got you on that one... will be getting a small stand before the next time I have a go... thanks for teh pointer :)

and thanks for all the feedback... most encouraging so far :D

Overall not bad. The snare seems to take a back seat and should be stronger. Kill the reverb on the bass drum.

I didnt think there was enough slap on the kik IMO, but I think I know what you are saying. There is not enough meat in the kik.
If you only have 1 D112 then place it at the hole and make sure you have both kick drum skins on. Get the drummer to use a plastic beater rather than the cotton type one. This will allow you to get nice pronounced slap (if well tuned) and also a deep resonance from micing at the hole. Maybe not point the mic straight at the bit of skin where the beater hits, but a little of centre, you will still get good punch.

Eck

People, can we please stop presenting OPINIONS as FACTS???

Sheesh.... :rolleyes:

RAMI said:
People, can we please stop presenting OPINIONS as FACTS???

Sheesh.... :rolleyes:
I stand by my comments as Fact. I have tried and tested this method many times, and also heard of numerous other people using this technique to get the results I stated.

Eck

yeah, I mean, you can make a really crappy recording, but if it sells a million copies, who cares if it's crappy? I got to a point where I wanted my recordings to be perfect, at least as good as the equipment I have can produce, but then they became sterile... no emotion in them.

grn said:
yeah, I mean, you can make a really crappy recording, but if it sells a million copies, who cares if it's crappy? I got to a point where I wanted my recordings to be perfect, at least as good as the equipment I have can produce, but then they became sterile... no emotion in them.
Yeah making all mixes sound generic can really be a bore to listen to.
For example , Deftones production on their older albums like Around The Fur. The production sounds amazing, but most of the songs sound identical in production.

Eck

ecktronic said:
I stand by my comments as Fact. I have tried and tested this method many times, and also heard of numerous other people using this technique to get the results I stated.

Eck
Why do you think I was directing that at you??? Feeling guilty??? And, even if something DOES work for you, it's still never FACT, because it's never the ONLY way.
This is the problem. By thinking you have the only answer and never accepting criticism, one never progresses. The proof is always in the pudding.

RAMI said:
The proof is always in the pudding.

Always!!!???? Always!!!!!!!! Are you sure? Is that a fact or an opinion?
Is that in fact your opinion? Or is that your opinion of that which constitutes a fact?

omtayslick said:
Always!!!???? Always!!!!!!!! Are you sure? Is that a fact or an opinion?
Is that in fact your opinion? Or is that your opinion of that which constitutes a fact?
In my opinion...It's a fact that it's my opinion. And that's a fact....In my opinion, of course.

really, awesome job for your first attempt!

yeah, proper tuning, which you have, really makes the sound.

Back