recording brass? nothin' new, just a good read

I can't speak of the CAD not having used it, but I have an SM57, a Cascade Fat Head and an AEA R84. I prefer the AEA of course, but then again, that's why I got it :)

I have decent preamps. They don't do much to help the SM57 with trumpets.

The Fat Head is, IMHO, a much better choice than the SM57 for not much more. We were talking "semi-cheap", not Ultra cheap", I believe. If the budget was < $100, then, yes, the SM57 might be a decent choice. Even then, though.....

All my $0.02. YMMV.

Well, it depends what you want to spend. For $80, an SM-57 will do OK - kind of a lowest common denominator mic. Having a decent preamp will help the SM-57 as well. I'd prefer an RE-20 of course, for $200-300. Or better yet, an AEA R-84 for $800-1000. I have one and if I actually recorded more horns I'd be tempted to get a second one. But I had the impression we had serious budget considerations here.

I've not tried one on horns or brass, but I suspect the CAD M179 Big Kenny suggested would probably work pretty well and they are only $125 or so.

go with ribbons!

I would go with a ribbon. Either the fathead, which I haven't used, but hear is great on horns, or an apex 205. I have 2 of the latter and love them on horns. I have moded them a little (check on here to see how) but even right out of the box they work great on trombones, saxes and trumpets as well as a bunch of other stuff. I use them to record my section all the time. I think you can get them in the us for about 90 bucks each.
Highly recommended. I liked the first one so much I bought 2!
long

Back