recording brass? nothin' new, just a good read

That's a great article, thanks. I'm in a small group with a small budget, and we were thinking of going with an SM57, because we've been reading that it's a good all around mic. Any idea on whether this will sound ok, or any ideas for semi-cheap alternatives? Most mics in that article were $400.00 or above.

You make a good point.

We've got one vocalist, one alto sax, one tenor sax, one trombone, two trumpets, and while we have the option of running guitar and bass directly to the computer, we're considering mic'ing the amps.

SM-57s will do on a budget. If you can find any used RE-20 for @$200 or so, that would be a significant improvement for brass, saxes and vocals. I've always used dynamic or ribbon mics for brass and reeds, although I'm sure the right condenser would do well too.

Which would you consider to be a better all around mic, the cad, or the sm57? It seems as though they are comparably priced.

As a side question, what is better, a high impedance, or a low impedance? Or is there a better, or only a different?

Personally, I cannot stand SM57s for brass.

SM-57s will do on a budget. If you can find any used RE-20 for @$200 or so, that would be a significant improvement for brass, saxes and vocals. I've always used dynamic or ribbon mics for brass and reeds, although I'm sure the right condenser would do well too.

Personally, I cannot stand SM57s for brass.

Well, it depends what you want to spend. For $80, an SM-57 will do OK - kind of a lowest common denominator mic. Having a decent preamp will help the SM-57 as well. I'd prefer an RE-20 of course, for $200-300. Or better yet, an AEA R-84 for $800-1000. I have one and if I actually recorded more horns I'd be tempted to get a second one. But I had the impression we had serious budget considerations here.

I've not tried one on horns or brass, but I suspect the CAD M179 Big Kenny suggested would probably work pretty well and they are only $125 or so.

All condenser mics, with the exception of the few that can use batteries, will require phantom power. If your preamp/mixer doesn't have it, you can get an outboard phantom power unit for fairly cheap.

hlysht. great job at making the flute look totally gay:
Recording_Brass-07.jpg

Back