Recorded Songs Burned To CD: Are They Digital Or Audio On The CD??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, now you're getting all Socrates on our ass.:eek: :D

Well, I guess that this "digital" you speak of has to be "audio" in the first place, or you'd have no "digital" to be talking about in the first place. A voice, a guitar, drums, whatever it is that you're refering to as being "digital" was "audio" that got into the computer somehow, no?
Digitized silence uses the same number of bits, bytes, frames and words as "audio," but is it still audio?

I think you're assuming a whole hell of a lot there, Chili. Considering there was another thread where he asked the difference between Digital and "Audio", I find it quite a stretch to assume this is just a typo or "he meant analog instead of audio".
I spent about 2 pages trying to explain the reason it's an impossible question to answer...not once did he come back and say "I meant "analog" not "audio". You guys answered the question assuming it was just a confusion in terms, where it was more of a lack of understanding that there even IS a confusion in terms.

EDIT: Again, just to be clear. Regardless of my communication-challenged way of expressing myself when things get a little heated, I wasn't trying to get on Mike's case just for the sake of it.

All I was trying to point out is that "Digital" vs "Audio" (no matter what the context of the question) isn't a valid question. If ANYONE came back before Chili finally did, and said "I meant "analog" not "audio", or "He meant "analog" not "audio", it would have changed everything.

I was going to respond earlier, but got pulled away and now I see your edit. cool. I was going to reply by saying I was really only addressing the CD D/A thing that StevieB brought up. I think it mislead Mike a little into thinking CD burners did some kind of conversion when all they do is pass along 1's and 0's.

I'm going back to sleep now. :D

So, VHS's video was digital, eh? I never knew that. So, when they discovered that Dolby SoundSurround was encoded on the VHS tape, was it digital, too?

Then again I got my first unit cheap after the kid loaded the peanut butter and jelly sandwich into it because the tape went all over the living room. So I might have been rong about that whole digital thingie part.

It was Jif crunchy. Kind of a warm sounding peanut butter.

Almost but not quite. There is nothing between a 1 and a 0. That bit is either on or off. On a CD, each sample has 16 bits, that is 16 ones and/or zeros. It's binary math.

But yes, digital audio is just a set of instructions that get converted into voltages by a DA converter.

A CD player has a built in DA converter.
The, "thing between a 1 and a zero" is merely the normalized instantaneous analog signal represented by the sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back