Record in 24 bit with 44.1 OR 88.2 OR 192 ?

Don't make it complicated...that has the word "science" in it.

The sad thing is that people HAVE provided good, solid counter-arguments, they HAVE provided facts, the HAVE provided scientific proof...and yet, the clueless still cling to their curtains.

Just saying "pros use higher rates" is not any kind of argument to the facts and science provided.
Pros also use million dollar studios, with $200k consoles, and $10k monitors, and they have other pros come in and design their pro spaces and provide pro acoustic treatment solutions, and the pros also have racks and racks of the best pro processing gear money can buy, not to mention lockers full of $3k and $5k microphones.

So then, why is only the sample rate important here...?...because it's one of those STUPID arguments that clings to the "gray area" of psycho-acoustics, where perception can outweigh reality.

Without all of that other pro stuff...high sampling rates are as significant to your audio quality as the color of your microphone cable.
Until you can lift your entire studio to that kind of pro level...just STFU about higher sampling rates.

"This is my last post"..."Sorry I registered"..."I'm done here"..."Please delete my account"... :facepalm:
Man...just stop posting if you really mean it.

Hahah. relatively non- consequential fo' me. I've noted in other threads I only care about 50Hz to 15kHz - for my music. I'm into synths (as a real duffer), instead of guitars and drums. Ya, synthetic AIR frequencies might require more weight, now and then. As it is though, I'm usually just doing 88k to listen to a patch for a couple days to decide if I can make it more analog sounding - like pulling out multi-meter for something. I used the Layla 3g for that as being a bit sterile. It is a very nice card, but no one would learn anything about good sound from it

Then you quote everything instead of blurring again with half information.
Oh, I'm sorry - I must have misunderstood by using the relevant data. Let me re-quote:
The Secondary Masters (Backups/”Safeties”) should have sampling rates and precisions equal to or better than the “Original Master” (88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, and 384 kHz are recommended, as are 24 or greater bit depths).
Wait a minute - It means exactly the same thing I posted earlier!

And again - I don't think anyone is saying "don't do it - it's bad" -- They're arguing that there may not actually be an advantage. But then they all went and backed it up with scientific studies and white papers from the people who are actually the minds that developed the technology in the first place. And you know something - They *DO* know more than the people recommending [equal to or better than] rates. They know more than the artists, the labels, the NARAS members, etc.

But you're not going to care.

Thanks for the link. Knew this one already.
This too says some better quality can be reached up to about 90k (not at 192k).
So again it seems like i'm not talking total bullshit.

from the people who are actually the minds that developed the technology in the first place. And you know something - They *DO* know more than the people recommending [equal to or better than] rates.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

You miss a minor detail.
I've been officially teached about this subject for several years by someone significant of the department who developed the digital technique. As you mention, one of those who DO know.
I wonder how many here ever even spoke to someone like that? I guess not that much or even none as i mostly read empty philosofies without any significant arguments.

And you still have given no arguments why those mentioned high rates (88.1 up) are recommended.
That not answering (by everyone) makes it seem like you lack an answer.

Damn, account is still there.
Now i really want my account to be deleted. What do i have to do to get that done? Do i have to call certain people names or whatever?

Last edited:
John+Wayne+2.png

(The Duke never actually said that...he would have if someone asked him about using higher sample rates).

He would not ! no nonononklnn.

Before I got a classy DAC for under $100, I would use a DSD to PCM driver in my media players. I see this one is converting to 88k PCM

Attachments

• dsdtopcm.jpg
    dsdtopcm.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 50
Damn, account is still there.
Now i really want my account to be deleted. What do i have to do to get that done? Do i have to call certain people names or whatever?

It's a life-time sentence. You will never escape. You are destined to live your days in eternal torment.

Thanks for the link. Knew this one already.
This too says some better quality can be reached up to about 90k (not at 192k).
So again it seems like i'm not talking total bullshit.

What it says, depending on who is being quoted, is that optimal is between 50kHz and 70kHz, and that 48kHz was chosen as a close approximation. 88.2kHz is also a close approximation, but with higher demands on processing and storage. I'm not saying 88.2kHz is bad, just that 48kHz is my preference as being the best balance between approximating optimal sample rate and use of resources. Lavry suggests 88.2kHz as a good compromise though "overkill" and "a bit faster" than he would like. The sonic advantages of 88.2kHz over 48kHz are microscopic.

The sonic advantages of 88.2kHz over 48kHz are microscopic.

Yeah....and probably they are electron microscopic. :D

The important thing isn't so much that there might be some microscopic sonic advantages...
....it's that in order to reap them, your entire studio chain must be up to that same level.
Which is why someone working on some $100 interface, in their bedroom...with curtains as acoustic treatment....sounds pretty silly talking about how it's "better" to use the higher sampling rates.

Here's an answer........The manufacturers build stuff to satisfy a market demand. Some of them care about their bottom lines so much that their products, while meeting a performance level technically, might not actually perform up to these levels in real life. Cheap parts, cheap labor, a shiny appearance without a shiny substance. Some of them care VERY much about the gear they build and these become, in some instances, laboratory examples for all others to follow or achieve. NO cheap parts, NO cheap labor, quality designs in quality packaging.

DOES IT MATTER? Sure. BUT and this is where ole #42 doesn't want to hear about it....ONLY IF ALL THE GEAR ATTACHED TO IT ARE OF AN EQUAL OR BETTER LEVEL THAN THE CONVERSION. Then you'll "hear" the difference.

This was told to you on a number of occasions and then the shitfest began.

I have this gear level. I work with people who have and use this gear level. Professionals. The bit rate used seems to be dependent on what is going into the sessions and the project for most of them. A lot of live strings and acoustic pianos and most will opt for 96k. A rock and roll guitarfest usually starts and stops at 48/24.

None of them record in an untreated bedroom or ask silly questions on recording sites to boost their moral and their egos.

I just reviewed my posts, and I don't think I went out of my way to attack anyone. I did react to some bad info, the old "more dots means a smoother wave" ploy, long ago refuted. It was edited away so it's hard to tell what I responded to, but here's one from an earlier post that's still there. It illustrates (crudely) the false concept that I was reacting to.

OMBHFG

- Now their saying there indeed is a benefit.
- If gear can handle it. Ok. I said my gear can handle it, so a reasonable question in my case.
- For certain situations. I said i understood that in some situations those benefits wouldn't be there.
- No one here can judge about my situation as no one knows my setup or heard my serious projects. Miroslav, your trolling again.
- I never ever pretended to do better than anyone. I only search for better quality for my own situation. There is to win personal on each subject. I never said i would be better or someone else would be worse or whatever. If one thinks he is less, feels small and is not good enough, that for him and his shrink.

And one of the most important.
Now is said the small benefit isn't to be heard.
I never said it would be heard, but now is confirmed some benefits really exists, although hidden. What i thought, what i asked for and eventually concluded.
Read back if you wish.

Fine some basic choose for 48. To bad some answered that as the only best option.
But that was not what i've asked, and what i asked is confirmed. It was not me who was talking bullshit.

Perhaps some misunderstandings within (language indeed?) but some did understand what i meant with my question. Thanks for the patience and anwers.

Some lacked knowledge to understand what i asked. Some even again(!) started trolling.
Now it appears my thoughts were right. YOU TROLLING SUCKERS!! FUCK YOU!! Especially miroslavE.

I still want this account deleted.
This repeating kind off communication us not the one i like and are used too.
If not deleted, i will kick back. In time harder to stop the bullshit. Don't wine if it comes that far. Like miroslavE alrwady wined like a baby seal when i PMed him previously.

Last edited:
I always wonder why people who think they are so full of knowledge and experience, show up here on HR to ask a million questions and demand all kinds of answers and demand proof...then when they get the same answers and proof from many different people...
...they reject all of it and go back to thinking they have all the knowledge and experience....???

Btw.

Some never ask, because they pretend to know everything and can't learn anymore. From that kicking at others all the time. Pretending if their some kind of god. Bullying others from that disturbed mind at each reaction.
The most fun is that they use the knowledge they get from others and eventually present it as it was their own. (curtains ;) )
Those are the biggest fools, and for their reactions the biggest trolls. And the most ugly ones. :D
(that points directly to you miroslave)

One can have background knowledge and experience but meanwhile missing some practical experience on particular parts.
I do. I don't pretend to know everything. I confess that DAW recording was rather new for me some years ago, and i admit that sometimes i have questions because i have some doubts about some subjects.
And that doesn't make me a fool. That makes me eager to learn and become better (nonono, better than i was, better than myself, don't again think 'better than you or anyone else; That's to discuss with your shrink)

@ miroslave. I kick back. That's something different than trolling. If you can't handle it than you'd better leave me alone too, you stupid fuck whining baby seal.

By the way. Here's is a fun Wayne quote which i like. The reason your still here?

quote-the-reason-there-are-so-many-stupid-people-is-because-it-s-illegal-to-kill-them-john-wayne.jpg

Last edited:
It's a life-time sentence. You will never escape. You are destined to live your days in eternal torment.

:laughings: :laughings: :thumbs up: Shit! :eek: We'll see how it goes or were it ends.

Btw. There IS a slight difference between Miroslav and a whining baby seal.
Baby seals get batted to death. :mad: Miroslav not. Because of compassion for the tree to make the bat in that case. :laughings:

Back