Re-location/build of Diesel Dungeon Studio!

Hooked up a little boom box which is away from the mix position and not facing me. It is wired into my monitoring setup, so I have yet another reference point before any audio leaves the studio. With all my other reference points, I never bothered setting it up because i already use other speakers for the consumer reference thing, however, for some reason when the shitty "bass boost" switch is engaged on this thing, I find sometimes my mixes sound a little boomier than some commercial mixes on it. Even if my mix sounds thinner (or as balanced) as a commercial mix on my mains or other reference speakers...which is weird. So this can help shed some light on that - it HAS a purpose!

In total, if I include my iMac's speakers, that makes 9 reference points before it leaves and I know what to listen for on all of them. Comparing against reference commercial mixes on each is key as well.

1 - Mains w/ sub
2 - Minimus 7's
3 - Mono Auratone
4 - JBL Hi Fi Speakers (mid-field)
5 - PC Speakers with "sub"
6 - 2" Mono clock radio speaker
7 - Semi-Open Back Headphones
8 - Boom Box
9 - iMac Speakers (don't use these much)

boom box.JPG

Incredible looking room. It reminds me a lot of Graham from Recording Revolution, about the size of a single car garage.

Good job man.

Incredible looking room. It reminds me a lot of Graham from Recording Revolution, about the size of a single car garage.

Good job man.

Thanks! It's definitley larger (almost twice as long) than a 1-car garage but maybe could be considered in the same league? It's about 30-something feet long by by 11 feet wide. I've had a few full bands in there and it's more than enough room to work especially since I don't clutter the room with a bunch of useless space-hogging stuff. I have tons more musical gear (spare drums, guitars in their cases, pa system, more chairs/stools, music stands, more mic stands, etc) that i store in a different room outside of what you see here and only bring whatever else in when needed. I have even cleared some of the stuff out that is normally always in the room when I know things are gonna get tight...like when guys are bringing in a few stacks and such.

Great looking room! Very inspiring to see your progression from raw basement to a beautiful and functioning studio in well under a year. I've just gotten all the crap cleared out of my own basement space and am working up the designs for my newest studio project. The last one I built took me a few years so I am hoping I can get this one to come together as quickly and nicely as yours did!

Back