Re-location/build of Diesel Dungeon Studio!

Yeah man, it looks really sharp. I've been watching this thread with great interest for a while now. Good job!

With just that stuff at the early reflections, there is still a ton of reverb in the room behind mix position, just did the clap and snap test, no music yet. There are a bunch of flutters between the bare floor and bare ceiling, hence whey i am hanging 8 ceiling clouds around the room and will have a thin area rug in the center. There is some modal ringing on a specific note or two when i go through a lower vocal scale when i am standing closer to the center of the room (untreated). So I am hoping by adding all the wall panels, more wall/ceiling bass trapping, some diffusion and ceiling clouds, area rug, and other stuff that break sound up (mic stands on walls, cables on walls, guitar amps, keyboards, spare percussion on stands) will remedy all of that. If there are still issues when i am done putting up all the planned treatment, I will attack that then.

Edit:

But the bare room compared to now is already like night and day. Just adding the superchunks in 4 vertical corners cut down a lot of boominess as well as reverb immensely. Reverb time before was like 1.5 seconds and with just superchunks it was down to about .5 sec.

Good to know. I'll be going through the same thing before too long, so it's good to hear that even the corner traps made a noticeable difference. I'm just curious as to the degree of trapping/treatment that'll be necessary. Are you just using your ears, or any measuring instruments/equipment?

Good to know. I'll be going through the same thing before too long, so it's good to hear that even the corner traps made a noticeable difference. I'm just curious as to the degree of trapping/treatment that'll be necessary. Are you just using your ears, or any measuring instruments/equipment?

Well no matter what testing I do, the result will always be the same...as much bass trapping as possible, absorption at first reflections and more absorption where there are still flutter echoes or resonances elsewhere, and optionally diffusion. So i laid it all out with my eyes and brain based on the size of the place, doors, breaker, box, bulkheads etc. I am currently in the stages of putting it all up as planned, because what kind of test results would ever yield an answer of "you don't need to put bass trapping in this room" or "this room does not need absorption at the early reflection points"? Ya know?! It's all pretty straight forward. And just for curiosity's sake, as I go, every new thing I put up (or move into the room furniture wise) I clap, sing, yell, snap and walk around the room doing all of the above like a crazy sonofabitch to see what difference it made. When all the acoustics are up as planned I will listen with my monitors for the first time and do some actual testing. THEN, I will take care of anything (if at all) else that needs to be remedied. I will also be playing acoustic instruments like drums and bass guitar to see what they sound like and how the affect the room.

Got the drums set up and hung a few more panels. Still need to put two 4" thick 2x4 panels behind drums and add more diffusers around that area (like the ones in the corners in front of superchunks), and ceiling clouds. I played a quick pass on the drums. Without the clouds or backwall absorption/diffusion, they still sounded surpringly pleasing! Lots of room ambiance but no audible flutters or bass buildup from where I sat. I guess all I could dexcribe it is that the drums sounded "PHAT" as hell. Meaty and and lively. I know the clouds will deaden it some, and the panels behind, but the diffusion will help keep the "shimmering" qualities from being sucked away above 800 hz. If it sounds good now, it can only get better! :)

drums no panels.JPG

drums drivers seat.JPG

All wall panels up except diffusion panels and 4" panels behind drums

All wall panels up except for diffusion panels and 4" oc703 panels behind drums. Mounted my mic stands, cables and headphones for easy access and some extra "random diffusion" near the drums. Also still need to put up my eight 2x4, 2" oc703 ceiling clouds and thin area rug. Also...I will be making a nice set of doors for that ugly breaker box you see there and paint them white.

The diffuser panels will go anywhere that you see blank wall space between each current wall absorption panel.

wall panels no diffusers 1.JPG

wall panels no diffusers 2.JPG

I call this one "Over Under" (get it?) lol :p

cables and mini booms.JPG

Last one for today...

mic stands and headphones.JPG

Last edited:
Got my wall/ceiling 4" deep bass traps up above mix position. They are attached to the wall via two eye bolts per panel and 2 eye bolts in the ceiling, secured with eyebolts. The bottom of the panel needed no attachment mechanisms, because it rests atop the bass traps below. Perfect. These are unfaced, meaning, their face is fully absorbent, no foil or paper. I wanted good absorption at all frequencies at the mix position.

bass traps - mix.JPG

Got the the mix position ceiling clouds up. Two 2" thick OC703 panels. They are attached with eyebolts/anchors in the ceiling and eyebolts in the panels, secured with zip ties. I wanted a wider sweet spot, so I spaced these a little further apart than one would expect. In the middle void where there is still exposed ceiling, I will put some 2" Auralex foam wedges for spot treatment for anything stray that might hit that spot that the clouds may not fully catch. Six more clouds in the room to go.

clouds - mix.JPG

cloud mounting 1.JPG

cloud mounting 2.JPG

Not sure how long ago you made your traps, but be assured that the 'new burlap' smell does go away!

Eventually LOL, I also run the vacuum cleaner over mine a few times to get rind of any loose burlap fibres, this seemed to help with the smell as well.

Alan.

Eventually LOL, I also run the vacuum cleaner over mine a few times to get rind of any loose burlap fibres, this seemed to help with the smell as well.

Alan.
Funny I literally just did that last night! Haha. As for smell, I made them almost a year ago now at the old house and they sat until i finally found a new house and moved them. They still have a scent, no doubt. But it's not too overpowering at this point lol

Filled some voids on ceiling above mix position and on front wall with some extra foam and an extra diffuser I had lying around. Gear gets moved in next! Then I will finish hanging the rest of the 6 remaining clouds as well as the rest of all the wall diffuser panels.

front wall.JPG

front wall 2.JPG

mix ceiling.JPG

Been a bit since an update!...............

Things have been moving a long a little a day at a time and I'm just about done, although i didn't want to take any pics of the full room because I'm so close to adding the finishing touches, I'd rather not share anything more until I am done. BUT.....

I can share a few, just a few isolated shots!
Made some cheap diy speaker stands for my "midfields" which are actually just JBL J2080 hifi speakers from the 90's with 8" cones (and lots of great low end even without sub). Made them out of mdf 1/2" platforms on top and bottom and 2x6's. 3" thick dense open-cell foam on top of the platforms for decoupling and sticky felts on the bottoms so the wood isn't directly touching the floor and letting any leftover resonances through it.

jbl left.JPG

jbl close.JPG

And here are a couple shots of the desk/mix area completed. Don't worry, there's a lava lamp elsewhere in the room! :p And yes, that little clock radio on the left IS a reference monitor. 2" mono speaker perfect for iphone/laptop speaker reference. also, see if you can spot the Bat Mobile! hehe

mix area complete.JPG

desk close.JPG

Last edited:
Back