Random Crackles on Recording

i'm sceptical this is the problem. but hey - give it a try .
i suggest you follow my advice on the pci slots leachim.
start off with the 44 then introduce each pci device till you get the problem.
ive done this in the past with friends systems.
a couple of times it was some network card someone bunged in. another few times a fancy gaming video card,and other times tv tuner cards.
another clue to your system issues is to look at your running processes after boot up. on my daw i have about 10. but on some systems ive seen like yours there are tons of background processes chewing up memory.

I ran Task Manager while recording - but noticed little increase in CPU or PF useage.

Is Page File the same as Memory - if not - how do you find out how much memory you are using at a given moment.

Have taken out the SB sound card - no change - will continue with others shortly.

Do you have to "uninstall hardware" as you take out each card ?

PS - just had a thought and checked Task Manager and looked under Physical Memory (K)

Total 261616
Available 63000
System Cache 45000

Does this mean I only have 63 Mb RAM available when running CEP - When I close CEP it goes up to 102000

I am supposed to have 256 Mb SDRAM

Stop Press

Attached is Task Manager in "Processes" view - to get an ascending view, click on "Mem Usage" until the largest is at the top

How does this compare with other people

(yes, I know I have other progs open at the same time)

Attachments

• trash.doc
    52.5 KB · Views: 4
OK - I took out all the PCI cards (except delta 44) and disabled all startup processes, but still the memory was around 60000 of a possible 250000

Still got crackles - but were not reproducable all the time ?

Put back all cards except the Creative Soundblaster, and still crackles, although these happened everytime in a particular place.

Weird

So am now contemplating a new M/Board at £250 (fitted) with 2.2 Ghz and 512 Mb DDR Ram. (I currently have 700Mhz and 256 SDRam)

well that pricing seems a tad high. but things are more expensive in europe.
what i would do is before spending any money take along the 44 and put it into the suggested motherboard thats been proposed to you by the dealer and run cool edit. then pay the guy if it works ok. no good getting the system home and finding you still have some other problem. this what i do with the guys that build mine.
any decent dealer will normally allow this. ie: a test on premises before you lay down your cash.

Hi again

I had a firm quote as follows

===========
As you need to have a minimum of 5 pci slots. I would recommend a Jetway or
Gigabyte motherboard.

Also you would need an agp graphics card as follows:

Motherboard for AMD Sempron 333 - 400fsb
128Mb AGP graphics card Nvidia or ATI
512Mb ddr 2700 memory
AMD Sempron 2200 processor
Heatsink and fan to suit

Total price including setup £299.00
===========

I know I can get a second hand Dell 4600 for £3-400 - how do these compare ?

I contacted M-Audio Tech support and they said it was an IRQ prob

The Delta 44 is on the same IRQ as the RAID controller (which is not in use) and also a USB thingy. I did move it to another slot, but it ended up on IRQ 10 which had loads of other stuff on it anyway....

leachim. that sempron system is quite nice.
go with the nvidea agp would be my recommendation.
just make sure as i said, before you take delivery / pay your money you
ensure that the 44 works in it ok. one never knows.
some upgrader teks are excellent, others....well
follow murphys law.
also run diskbench on the system. if you see 100 plus tracks youll be fine. also run cool edit with the 44 installed and see that there are no problems.
then pay. you dont want to get it home and find some glitch.
the sempron is the follower on from the duron which people i know were getting 40 tracks with.
if set up properly this system should last you a long time.
i would consider going with the gigabyte mbd. but its up to you.
i'll tell you one thing. it'll be a big difference from what you use currently.
just run something like sisoft sandra on it, and youll see the reports vs your current set up. way more power.
good luck and i sincerely hope it works out very well for you.

You guys are hardcore--which is aces, as I need similar help. I'm using CEP2 onan AMD Athlon (1G; 512). I have 2 drives--40G for software, 160G (is that right??) for sound files. Not even close to full, either of them. My PC is optimized as per M-Audio and Adobe sites for what I'm using, and I still get pops & crackles when I record, as well as tracks out of sync (usually the third or 4th track and beyond). This stuff never happened before I installed the Delta 44, but the old card sucked. I recently had all drivers updated.

Any advice?

Back