Question on Mixing Heavy Rhythms and the stereo spectrum

Great! :thumbs up: When are you adding vocals and bass to your mix? I recommend that you first of all balance everything except vocals and bass. When you have this "body" of the mix in balance, you love the mid range of the guitars on the side and on the whole mix! That has multiple impacts. First of all, because the vocals and bass do not distract the balancing of the other frequencies, you achieve a better balance among these, in fact such a good balance that you love it. :guitar: If you have never mixed like this you will see what I mean when you try it out. Now, the second impact of this is that because you have got used to this mix balance/clearity quality, you can add vocals and bass into the mix and instantly notice when these two sound sources remove the clearity quality you've created. In other words, by creating frequency awareness, you are able to more easily balance the vocals and bass into the rest of the mix, without them eating up the clearity/balance by being too loud and dense. If you find that the bass or the vocals at their desired volume and denseness forces the mid range to be harmed, then you should add high frequency air character into the mix, so that you are able to lower the volume and denseness of the bass/vocals. How you do this is by increasing the "high frequency air" fader on all channels except the bass. This means you essentially remove low frequencies and add high frequencies. How this is done is by doing upwards frequency shifting using an EQ effect, I usually use 700 Hz as the cutoff point, and then do a linear bell gain above that and a linear bell reduction to the left of it, with as low Q as possible. The bells I usually setup as 0.1 0.2 0.3 etc., but sometime it can turn out more extreme, like 0.5 1 1.5 etc. It's good though to fit this into an overall frequency shifting strategy.

An example would be to make both upwards and downwards frequency shifting to various degree/around various cutoff points on the sound sources in the center and also separately on the sound sources on the sides. This has the effect of spreading the frequencies among the sound sources, to reduce the overall frequency fighting. This can be handy when you have a lot of sound sources and you cannot mute any more sound sources to create enough air (air <> density). I have an overall air fader as well, that does a number of things like this, possible because of how I combine various effects into groups. For instance I have all compressors grouped to a single track, that then gets routed further. Stuff like this might sometimes be necessary to carve out the guitars on the side.

Dense mixes can be dense because they were inefficiently balanced and/or because you simply have too much frequencies in the mix. To help combat the problem with too much frequencies in the mix, remove unnecessary frequencies from non-dominant sound sources instead of making the dominant sound sources directly more dominant. A way to do this is to route the non-dominant sound sources to a dedicated volume fader and apply mute and/or volume automation on these across the song. This can be combined with e.g. low/high pass filters on these to further minimize the overall frequency denseness of the mix. The air mix characteristic is one of the more important ones in mixing. It is maybe the most important characteristic within the "pleasant" characteristics category. BTW. Air and detail are as characteristics kind of twins (natural goes in there as well), because when you add air you basically release more mix signal, allowing more signal to the sound sources in the mix. In my mix routing matrix I have separated these. Adding detail is in my approach done by gaining the whole mix and it is done in conjunction with adding air, because the air releases the signal so that more gain can be added before clipping. Please note how this is not the same thing as applying master bus limiting, in that approach the denseness actually increases, meaning you get more detail but within a more limited gain window, hence as a result you cannot add as much detail. And because of the denseness increase, it also means the stereo image to some degree collapses. So that's really something worth avoiding. The detail characteristic is one of the most important ones in the excitement characteristic category. In many ways the pleasant and exciting characteristic categories are working against each other. A powerful mix might remove some of the pleasant characteristics. For this reason I sum and balance those two as well.

In other words, great guitars on the side might mean a lot of gain/detail/dominance/compression on those, however at the cost of the pleasant mix characteristics. Therefore, it is important to not focus 100% only on those guitars, but also keep track on what happens to the mix as a whole when those guitars become more dominant in the mix, more specifically is the mix as a whole really turning more pleasant too or is it maybe actually turning a little less pleasant from having a little more noise hitting the ears on the side? This kind of stuff is the balancing thinking process that the engineer must go through in order to land at a balanced great sounding mix at the end.

I do recommend that you do not mix all of this in stereo, but that when you do this you also mix the L in stereo and the R in stereo (on mix scope) at loud volume in order to also keep the pleasant characteristics in balance with the exciting ones. In other words, by fixing this issue you potentially introduce a number of other ones. The MID-SIDE balance is another thing to keep an eye on...

I guess great mixing stems from hard balancing work... :)
I think you are really making this harder than it needs to be. If you have to go through all of this, there is something wrong with the core sounds or the instrument arrangement of the song.

It is much easier/better to pick the tones that fit/work together and arrange the musical parts so they don't fight.

I think you are really making this harder than it needs to be.

That's the way everyone seems to want to go. It's not enough to just dial in a good sound and record it accurately and correctly. Everything has to be turned into a clusterfuck.

I think you are really making this harder than it needs to be. If you have to go through all of this, there is something wrong with the core sounds or the instrument arrangement of the song.

It is much easier/better to pick the tones that fit/work together and arrange the musical parts so they don't fight.

That's needed too. The sooner you arrive at the final product, the better. If you can dial in great frequencies with less work, then great, do what works. Just remember that narrowing down the number of balancing decisions for the sake of simplicity, does not yield a greater result due to the simplicity of it, at least have I never noticed that. In my experience it rather yields unbalanced mixes and/or mixes having little character since necessary balancing decisions where never made.

Do what works, I'm just sharing my two cents here. :spank: :thumbs up:

That's the way everyone seems to want to go. It's not enough to just dial in a good sound and record it accurately and correctly. Everything has to be turned into a clusterfuck.

Great if you can do all mixing as recording, that should yield a super natural sound. But does it yield all the characteristics, balance and impact that an experienced mix engineer makes out of it?

illimigrant,
It may be obvious & redundant but may I suggest you listen to some of the music linked to the folk commenting/responding to your query?
There's a lot being written and a lot of it is presented as axiomatic but you need to cross reference what people say with what their mixes sound like to know whether their voice comes from the rear of their underpants or not.
Most folk have a link in their signature section that'll take you to their stuff - read, listen & decide before accepting what they say.

illimigrant,
It may be obvious & redundant but may I suggest you listen to some of the music linked to the folk commenting/responding to your query?
There's a lot being written and a lot of it is presented as axiomatic but you need to cross reference what people say with what their mixes sound like to know whether their voice comes from the rear of their underpants or not.
Most folk have a link in their signature section that'll take you to their stuff - read, listen & decide before accepting what they say.
Very good idea.

Great if you can do all mixing as recording, that should yield a super natural sound. But does it yield all the characteristics, balance and impact that an experienced mix engineer makes out of it?

Yup, it does. You only need a bunch of mix magic if you're trying to polish a turd. If you track good sounds to begin with, you don't have to mix the shit out of it to make it sound great.

I know tracking good sounds is easier said than done because most people's ears are barely functional and common sense is in dangerously short supply in the home-rec world, but truth is truth. Good sounds recorded well never go out of style. People should focus on that more than mix trickery.

People should focus on that more than mix trickery.
I couldn't imagine taking a mix with 70-80 tracks and start cutting them up into high and low passed versions to deal with separately. I'd end up with 200-300 tracks going into 50 busses by the time it was done... No thanks.

I couldn't imagine taking a mix with 70-80 tracks and start cutting them up into high and low passed versions to deal with separately. I'd end up with 200-300 tracks going into 50 busses by the time it was done... No thanks.

But hey, that's the fun part! If you have a DAW, you have to use every single feature it has all at once! The more redundant and unnecessary, the better!

Just an overall opinion I have...Not directed toward anyone particularly...

Whatever it takes to make the sound one wants is fair game. Nothing competes with getting it right at the source for for any situation-EVER.

That being said, different genres and desires of final sounds are not always so pure. Some types or styles of music require or at least need some different types of processing. Just like a specific synth sound can't be created with a Fender P-bass, neither can a synth be made to sound like a P-bass. Whatever one is looking for is worthy of trying...Maybe.

I do not know of the Waves ADT thing Miro spoke of, but I have recently been using something that sounds similar in how it deals with a 'doubling' effect without the issues that a typical doubler or delay has (SoundToys MicroShift). It is not something I would use as a replacement for a doubled (recorded) track, but as an enhancement for them. For some things like vocals tracks, it can be quite pleasant and bring a mono track to the front of a mix without stepping on the guitars or sounding out of place. Anyway...

As long as anyone recording understands the basics of what a good tone is, the rest is just making it unique and different. That is typically the problem though. Trying to find glory without the investment in the recorded tone to begin with.

If one is using effects to make something that already sucks/sounds like ass - better, then they are wasting valuable time and money on trickery and feeding the software companies income. If one already knows what good tone is/how to get it and wants to make it - different/unique, then go on with your bad self and use/buy stuff at will.

The bottom line for me is if it sounds good to you, then do it. If it sucks, ask yourself why. The latter takes quite a bit of self experience to answer.

Last edited:

Actually I think that would happen, I would not like that either. That's why I cut down (merge/remove) the initial track number to something useful/productive that I then fit into the mix template which already has the mix routing matrix setup.

The Wave ATD is rather expensive & the value of it rather subjective.

I've read that it's the BBE Sonic maximiser with an tweak.

Last edited:
No...the Waves Abbey Road Reel ADT is something a bit different/unique.

You can download the demo and try it out.
I got it when it was on sale for like $75 (maybe it was even less) at Audio Deluxe.

Here's the web page....check out the YT video.
Reel ADT

Actually I think that would happen, I would not like that either. That's why I cut down (merge/remove) the initial track number to something useful/productive that I then fit into the mix template which already has the mix routing matrix setup.

So you pre-mix stems and then cut the stems into elements to balance?

I've never tried it, but it seems like stems are creating the problem that you are attempting to solve by cutting things into elements.

Maybe you are just explaining it in a way that makes it sound crazier than it is.

I group like instruments together on busses (usually 10-12) and treat the group to eq and compression after I make everything in that group fit together by doing whatever necessary on the individual tracks. Then most of the mixing is done at the buss level.

Is thay what you are talking about?

Maybe you are just explaining it in a way that makes it sound crazier than it is.

I group like instruments together on busses (usually 10-12) and treat the group to eq and compression after I make everything in that group fit together by doing whatever necessary on the individual tracks. Then most of the mixing is done at the buss level.

Is thay what you are talking about?

There is nothing crazy about it actually, because everything is in parallel and very few things are forced into serial in terms of processing. Everything is balanced, even whatever noise that is inherently a result of this type of approach. It's in my view exactly what a mix engineer wants.

The focus is on making all required balancing decisions of everything in regards to the mix in an extremely convenient and similar way (and having the same conditions about those balancing actions such as automation), not only those aspects that the console by default leads you into focusing on. Similar types of frequencies, no matter what sound sources they come from, share the same group. An example would be Bus fader A) all processing dry, Bus fader B) all processing wet. In this case the dry frequencies share the same types of frequencies in the sense that none of them were processed in any way, they reached the listener totally unprocessed. Another example would be, Bus fader C) dense frequencies (done by compression). Another fader would be, Bus fader D) volume of all frequencies no matter dry or wet. And when you then have these faders, they can in turn route to other faders. An example would be that the compressor volume fader of each individual sound source would then in turn route to a compressor volume fader that groups all of these faders, so now you can both lower the density of all sound sources in the mix individually, but also target the density of individual sound sources. No matter what level/what scope/what aspect/what characteristics, it's all accessible using normal volume faders and pan knobs and everything can be automated.

What this also does is that it offsets the focus towards high mixing performance, instead of focusing on the hows (by doing everything in different ways), the focus is on the whats (because everything is balanced in the same way, I can focus on exactly what I want to balance)

Everything becomes much more repeatable as well because those faders remind you of what characteristics and aspects you must create/analyze/balance. Compare this to an almost random mixing procedure where you stack fxs in serial, some can be automated, some not and where you indirectly balance a big number of competing characteristics because they are all forced onto the same faders. Traditionally all mix characteristics would be adjusted on the master bus simply because they are mix characteristics. It's just not going to happen simply because it does not work as well to mix on that scope.

I hope this explains it. Please don't get distracted about its complexity, you decide how many faders and how detailed you want to go about the characteristics and it is also very much dependent on your routing matrix what you truly get out of it. But when it's all setup efficiently, it's amazing... :thumbs up:

The focus is on making all required balancing decisions of everything in regards to the mix in an extremely convenient and similar way (and having the same conditions about those balancing actions such as automation), not only those aspects that the console by default leads you into focusing on. Similar types of frequencies, no matter what sound sources they come from, share the same group. An example would be Bus fader A) all processing dry, Bus fader B) all processing wet. In this case the dry frequencies share the same types of frequencies in the sense that none of them were processed in any way, they reached the listener totally unprocessed. Another example would be, Bus fader C) dense frequencies (done by compression). Another fader would be, Bus fader D) volume of all frequencies no matter dry or wet. And when you then have these faders, they can in turn route to other faders. An example would be that the compressor volume fader of each individual sound source would then in turn route to a compressor volume fader that groups all of these faders, so now you can both lower the density of all sound sources in the mix individually, but also target the density of individual sound sources. No matter what level/what scope/what aspect/what characteristics, it's all accessible using normal volume faders and pan knobs and everything can be automated.
I think your use of the word "frequencies" is what is throwing people off. I'm not sure it means what you think it means, so much of what you are saying is contradictory because of it.

What this also does is that it offsets the focus towards high mixing performance, instead of focusing on the hows (by doing everything in different ways), the focus is on the whats (because everything is balanced in the same way, I can focus on exactly what I want to balance)
It sounds like you are balancing tones of the whole instead of balancing the instruments against each other.

Everything becomes much more repeatable as well because those faders remind you of what characteristics and aspects you must create/analyze/balance. Compare this to an almost random mixing procedure where you stack fxs in serial, some can be automated, some not and where you indirectly balance a big number of competing characteristics because they are all forced onto the same faders. Traditionally all mix characteristics would be adjusted on the master bus simply because they are mix characteristics. It's just not going to happen simply because it does not work as well to mix on that scope.
I'm not sure what you are on about. I don't know anyone that mixes the way you are describing here.

I hope this explains it. Please don't get distracted about its complexity, you decide how many faders and how detailed you want to go about the characteristics and it is also very much dependent on your routing matrix what you truly get out of it. But when it's all setup efficiently, it's amazing... :thumbs up:
I'm not seeing the convenience or efficiency.

Do you have any examples of mixes done in this manner?

I'm not sure what you are on about. I don't know anyone that mixes the way you are describing here.

I'm not seeing the convenience or efficiency.

I have to admit...I've read his posts a couple of times, and I have no idea what he's talking about AFA his "mixing process".
I don't say that in a negative way....I just honestly can't visualize his descriptions of what he is doing. :D

The whole "share the same group...Bus A/B/C...dry/wet/dense" thing just ain't hitting home for me.
Like why would you want to process ALL you dry tracks the same way...based on their same frequencies....huh???

Yeah....maybe some audio samples might clarify it...and/or a better description with examples, etc.

MusicWater, you're spouting nonsense by any common understanding of the words you're using. It may all make sense and perhaps even work for you, but your explanations are useless.

If by some chance you are doing parallel eq then I'll go on record as saying that's almost always a terrible idea. I can think of one exception to it being bad but I haven't seen any indication that applies here.

Back