Question on Mixing Heavy Rhythms and the stereo spectrum

"a shorter release time will kind of create more holes in the compressed layer" ........?

No doubt that release times make a difference....but once again, your terminology makes no real application sense.
Once again, you're using your own contrived phrases to explain something as only YOU understand it.

Maybe your net results are quite good (we can only guess, until we actually hear some)....but I think you should step away from "my writing is a result of personal experience" and study a bit how most audio pros would describe/apply processes.
Dn't just try to pick up the "key word" lingo (like what/how Pensado says stuff on his videos).....instead, step back to the fundamental audio language and descriptions, and then I think everyone would better understand you. Some audio examples would certainly help.
I second that motion! Some audio examples are definitely in order!

I think thr axe fx is not the problem. A large percentage of all the heavy music coming out in the last year or two has one of those things in it somewhere, if not everywhere. Don't get me wrong, you can make them sound bad, but that is user error, not a failing of the unit.

I diagnosed the problem with the mixes early on. The guitar sound is fine, even if it's a little too processed. The trouble is the bass and all the rest of the instruments have the exact same tone dialed in.

The mix would sound huge if the bass had some low end to it and had a different midrange than the guitar. ( especially in the parts where the bass is being played in the same octave as the guitar.

There is no need for any fancy tricks, special processing , amp purchases, a higher sample rate, delays, mid/side processing, multi-band compression, parallel compression, etc...

Simply make the other instruments sound different than the guitar, which they should anyway, and the mix will sound huge just having those guitars panned wide.

If you do have a center guitar, mute it. It will add to the thickness, but it will take away from the stereo spread of the guitars, unless it is playing a different part than the main rhythm.

Thanks a bunch! I'll go this route and try out some new tones on the bass and the layered guitars in the second part of the clip.

I wanna know what MusicWater means by "mix signal." Someone else called him on it and he used the word "mix signal" to describe it, but his description meant nothing.

Maybe someone needs to buy this guy the Audio Engineer's Dictionary and send it to him. Temporary ban until his lingo is converted to words that actually make sense?

:facepalm:

Back