PureMix / Sonnox Mixing Contest!

I uploaded a rough mix for safety, now working on details. One of the songs that I like more and more as I work. My wife likes It, my little girl is dancing, my car stereo likes it, my neighbors are not complaining, so, it might be be something about it. Excellent production by any standards. :)

Very glad of having participated in such contest with such production. I want to thanks PureMix, Sonnox, and all organisations, artists and members involved.

Thoughts, techniques, impressions.

Submitted my mix, i'd like to say congratulations to Amber and the writers for coming up with this solid song, I appreciated all of the options that Ben Lindell and Doug Larsen left for us with their diverse production. I found the mix was more of a fine tuning exercise due to the well recorded vocals and instruments, it would be a pleasure to mix another project from this team.

In terms of techniques, I just used the stock Pro Tools 11 plugins and relied pretty much solely on delay, reverb and compression.

My Impressions and Mixing tactics and strategy

Hello there! My name is ID and I almost done! So... first of all. Good vibe song, congrats to Amber and co creators! My impressions: good song with good harmonization and great production. modern extensive arrangement with fat stacking and alot of dynamics.
I have decided to mix in the box, using Cubase 7 DAW Steinberg stock, UAD and Slate Digital plugs.
I was doing alot of automation to add extra vibe to instrumental. Also I have decided to use gentle vocal compression to keep a natural manner. To finish the picture, I have used extensive riding on the vocal to keep it strongly in the face. For space I was using widely sounded natural custom impulses, because I want this sounded more natural. Thus, to add a "dance", I added gentle downbeat sidechain for some instruments and master buss sidechain compression to make vocal more clearer. So... Thats all for now. )
Kind regards, ID!

Last edited:
My mix notes and Thoughts

Hi guys. Here I leave some of my thoughts on my mix and how I worked.
Hope my english is good enough :-)

ntro

The piano went through the SSLChannel using eq and compression and after that a delay using the Haas effect on the piano

The vocal verse goes through first of all an dresser and after that a CLA-2A. And after that I use eq and some multibandcompression from the C6. I also send the vocal to a vintage delay. Vintage delay is when the delay frpn the vocal is send to itself so the delay have delay. I use eq after the delay to create an interesting sound cause the delay will change every time it passes the delay.

pre chorus

All the vocal except the verse is send to busses so I could organize them.

The pre chorus vocals is almost the same as the verse but no C6 and an SSLChannel instead. And I also send them to a reverb socially for the pre chorus and the chorus. I Use Revibe for my reverb.

Chorus

In the chorus I really wanted to have a energy change and I think the producer wanted it so. The way I did it was to let the beat go through the Scheps 73 and use the the drive to get some Neve distorsion on the beat and in the same time open up the top. This is automated and is not on the first verse. It gave it the feeling of energy in the chorus.

The vocal in the chorus have delay and reverb specially for the chorus. And I like to spread the vocal in the chorus.

Verse 2

Automated the kick here to give it an energy drop to have more energy for the next chorus. Other than that I did not so much. Picked out some instruments different than in the first verse.

bridge

Picked out the low vocals in this a bit more så the bridge would separate it sound from the rest

In the slow part I made the vocal thin to fit the low energy ind delicate piano.

In the last chorus I raised the drum package to get out that last energy

Other teqniques I used

Parallell compression on the drums. Use the CLA-76 with two different settings

Puigtech on the bass to get that nice low end sound from it.

I only have 89 tracks after downloading all zip files... And the DogFX track don't work, I just have a waveform, no sound ! Do you have the same problem ?

Just uploaded my copy. Very pleasant to mix. Well tracked and performed. Not my genre of music at all but that was the goal for me... achieving a good mix in a land that I don't know! :). I mixed it in about 3 hours. Complelty ITB without any "analog-super-kaboomizer-inyourfacizer-vintagemulator" plug-ins :). Lots of Automations and fader riding and mixed almost everything by group. Thanks puremix and Sonnox and Amber Skye for this contest! Very educational and fun!

Forgot to say all mix is ITB for me on on pro tools 11 HDX.

Did you listen to the original mix before you did your own mix? I decided not to do so to have a clean perspective when starting the process.

Did you listen to the original mix before you did your own mix? I decided not to do so to have a clean perspective when starting the process.

Same ! I decided to do most of the work without listening to the original but at the end of my mix, I still listened to the original to see if I was on the right way. Finally, my mix is good (I think) but different. I just need to make some automations to finish and give it to my DIY analog hardware :)

I repeat my question from above: I only have 89 tracks after downloading all zip files... And the DogFX track don't work, I just have a waveform, no sound ! Do you have the same problem ?

Same ! I decided to do most of the work without listening to the original but at the end of my mix, I still listened to the original to see if I was on the right way. Finally, my mix is good (I think) but different. I just need to make some automations to finish and give it to my DIY analog hardware :)

I repeat my question from above: I only have 89 tracks after downloading all zip files... And the DogFX track don't work, I just have a waveform, no sound ! Do you have the same problem ?

It was blank for me also, I just made my own transition.

What about the mastering? Can we master our mix or we should upload our mix with nothing on the master channel?

On the first page puremix said that you can master if you want. They said its like you were really working for a producer or label, give them what you think is best.

The Dog FX was not blank for me. There were audio between the bridge and last chorus. I think I understand how the producer tought about it and it´s quite funny (if I understand it correctly) :-)

Back