• Rock

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Rap/hip hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acoustic

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Experimental

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I dont give a damn Finster. Just put up the next contest!

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ds21 said:
First of all I'd like to thank you for seting up the specific dates so now we're "all on the same page"

The only thing I would change, if it's actually a contest of mixing ability, is to say these are the tracks you must use, other wise Someone could, just like you said, replace pretty much everything, (of course you could just judge the quality of the vocal track), anyway I'm really glad your doing this because above all it is a great learning experience. I'm thinking of posting something for people to mix, but I'd have to post MP3's because I only have 10MB to work with.

Hey no sweat ds21!
Yeah on the remix thing..
Id be really surprised if a buncha ppl remixed really agressivley on this one.
But just for the sake of entertainment id dig hearing a speed metal version of this song!!
:eek:
Anyways, that would be great if you posted up a song of yours!
If you need help with distribution of the files you could talk to Giles 117 about it and he could help id bet. :)

love the sound of that Dragonfly! might be up there on my *must get* list. Is the voicemaster the one with the neon blue VU meter? I had the chance to use one of them once...if it's the same one, everything on a strip you could ever want but it's very easy to get carried away with it and overdo things..maybe cause it was my *new toy* for a day :)

I take it you don't gate the drums when you track? Here's a laugh.... I spent about half an hour trying to pull tom2 out in the mix then realised I had the gate set to "listen"....I put the weed back in the drawer at that point :D

Nice job halion and tree. Lemon the only neg i have is that brightness and the lack of mid presence.. You never answered my Q about your room I am sure the issues you are getting when mixing are DIRECTLY related to your mix environment.

Other than that you have a nice stereo sound going on there.

Halion, the only thing I hear with yours is it needing a little more life (dimension) in the mix field. Color is cool.

remember this is just My Opinion. :)

Blue Bears opinion is the one that matters here. :)

On the drum gating thing. I have never seen it be a good thing to gate drums when tracking. better to gate after the fact and just balance your mics. As fin siad this mix was rushed together so a lot of time was not taken to track everything as good as it could. but that is the joy of mixing. You never know what you are gonna get to mix on so you just do the best with what you got.

LemonTree said:
love the sound of that Dragonfly! might be up there on my *must get* list. Is the voicemaster the one with the neon blue VU meter? I had the chance to use one of them once...if it's the same one, everything on a strip you could ever want but it's very easy to get carried away with it and overdo things..maybe cause it was my *new toy* for a day :)

I take it you don't gate the drums when you track? Here's a laugh.... I spent about half an hour trying to pull tom2 out in the mix then realised I had the gate set to "listen"....I put the weed back in the drawer at that point :D

haha!
yeah i had my day with the weed.
But i couldnt even fathom doing my job on it nowadays! :cool:
And yeah its the focusrite with all the bells and whistles.
Half of which are junk.

giles117 said:
As fin siad this mix was rushed together so a lot of time was not taken to track everything as good as it could. but that is the joy of mixing. You never know what you are gonna get to mix on so you just do the best with what you got. :)

Exactly giles, if i gave you guys perfectly recorded stuff that i had done in my upstairs environment, you wouldnt have any fun!
Its fun to turd polish, and i have bestowed upon you a turd!
Now polish that sucker up!! :D

LOL ROFL Man you are funny. LOL

I have a track up on my server "king of glory" if you had heard the drums and vocals when we got started you would have puked. it took me a bout 12 hours but it worked out and you never knew the drums were crap. I ended up using a TON of plugins on the kick and Snare to make them sound halfway decent. i wish I had the original tracks for people to here. LOL Ever heard of negative compression (uncompressors. had to do a lot of that...) Which is why I never track drums processed (except some EQ and If I do compress it is extremely light like 1 to 2db of gain redux) But if you mic them right.... hey Life is good.

Fin the only drawback to polishing turds is when you get a good track you dont know what to do. LOL I recall my 1st decently recorded track to mix. I spent 4 hours trying to figure out what to do cuz I was so used to spending 4 hours fixing stuff. LOL

Sounds like fun, though I think I'll pass on the 3630 that Giles graciously is willing to give up, even if I win or not LOL.

BTW fingers, what algo did you use to convert to AIFF? Just wondering since I'm on a MAC. Thanks for thinking of the MAC users, especially on this board, maybe a Giles influence?

Another dealio, was wondering why the bass track was a small file compared to say toms(individual). Usually the bass track is rather large in size since it usually takes alot of bandwidth.

I'll see if I have some time to mix it up.

T

p.s. IMO the tune may have possibilites as a metal tune.

Tonio said:
Sounds like fun, though I think I'll pass on the 3630 that Giles graciously is willing to give up, even if I win or not LOL.

BTW fingers, what algo did you use to convert to AIFF? You on Pro tools? Just wondering since I'm on a MAC. Thanks for thinking of the MAC users, especially on this board, maybe a Giles influence?

Another dealio, was wondering why the bass track was a small file compared to say toms(individual). Usually the bass track is rather large in size since it usually takes alot of bandwidth.

I'll see if I have some time to mix it up.

T

p.s. IMO the tune may have possibilites as a metal tune.

i use mac.
and pro tools.
And if you make this into a metal tune id be very excited to hear it!

hmm sorry for the triple post LOL!!
I use DP.
yeah, it should be cool. Not that I have the resorces to make it into a metal tune. Just MHO.

T

DP Huh??/ Rock on. Cont let go of DP I work WAAAAY too fast in it now. :)

Size of the file is dictated by bit depth, sampling rate and track length. Not bandwidth of the instrument.

Unless you are talking about the amplitude of the waveform.

BG, yeah that's what I meant to say- bit depth/amplitude-which bass should have mucho amounts cuz it covers alot of freq bandwidth no?, and coinsides(sp?) with amplitude. Bass has lots of that chit.
Just talkin ka ka, ya know the higher amplitude and bit usually gives you a bigger file.
Dp/ huh?? what?? didn't you use to .. as in.. TS.. MOTU??

kinda thought you seemed famliy your LOL

T
giles117 said:
DP Huh??/ Rock on. Cont let go of DP I work WAAAAY too fast in it now. :)

Size of the file is dictated by bit depth, sampling rate and track length. Not bandwidth of the instrument.

Unless you are talking about the amplitude of the waveform.

in Digital that is amplitude (or volume level) you see in that waveform. Does not make the physical size of the file bigger. And it depends on how high the record level is when you cut it. :)

What is TS???? I was on unicornation till they killed it. Miss that site nothing is like it. Were u over there. nice family over there. Even though peeps hated steele, i didnt care i kept it real about the good and the bad of DP.

you're prolly right BG, it just seems when the track has a higher amplitude , the resulting file is larger ? I dunno.

yeah Unicornation, is that where I remember you from-must be. its funny, J. Steele from my town he he he..

I had a faint recollection that I thought you used be TS (tech support)w/ MOTU

cheers.

T
giles117 said:
in Digital that is amplitude (or volume level) you see in that waveform. Does not make the physical size of the file bigger. And it depends on how high the record level is when you cut it. :)

What is TS???? I was on unicornation till they killed it. Miss that site nothing is like it. Were u over there. nice family over there. Even though peeps hated steele, i didnt care i kept it real about the good and the bad of DP.

Was never Tech Support but I have been using DP since v 2.1 back in 1996 or 97

Live on Unicortnation. Just recently really got into this site just. ;)

Tonio K?

Hey guys -- sorry for jumping in late -- been busy with sessions lately....

Here's how I thought I'd approach the judging:

- I won't listen to the mixes until after the deadline (which means I'll get a clean first-impression for each one)

- at that point I'll listen to them one after another (human audio memory is short, so it kind of has to be done in one shot!)

- I can't promise a full-size critique of each one, but I'll put together some notes on what I'm hearing and post that....

- thanks to Bryan for supplying a place to host the files --- if you're making an entry, be sure post it there it can be heard!

- can I suggest a minimum of 128kbps/44.1 Khz -- there's no point in trying to judge the sound quality via an MP3 with lower resolution than that!

Good luck to all!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback giles :) I so need something to enhance the stereo image. I tried to make it more three-dimentional by hard-panning the toms and overheads, and the verb, but it didn't help that much. Now that I'm listening to it again, it could use a bit more brightness aswell.

*edit*

Second version is up (same file, I just overwrote it with a new version). Found ways to make it (alot) more dimentional. Waves MondoMod on the shaker, and I tracked the guitar part a second time, and panned the origional and the new one pretty (but not completely) hard left and right. Added a little EQ on the vox, and mastered with Magneto to add warm a bit more brightness (I love Magneto!)

I'm very pleased, this is the last version I'll make for sure, can't think of anything to improve really. Comments are very welcome :)

Last edited:
Back