• Rock

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Rap/hip hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acoustic

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Experimental

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I dont give a damn Finster. Just put up the next contest!

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree, however I think it might be less of a problem with this next contest. Somehow, I think less people will try to "remix" a screamo/metal song...maybe that's just the non-creative side of me talking.

cool, some metal.....

I ike progressive metal. I love stuff in the genre of Queensryche. Slayer's cool too, and Accept. I cant wait to try to mix these trax! Whens this contest download available?

Well the next mix will be metal and it will go up on the 7th.
Should be challenging/fun.
I think by the poll results the one after this(mix contest 4) will be a rockin' tune though.

lumbago said:
Think not of the prize, but how diverse the approaches.

Think not of the equipment, but of the skill of the contributors.

Celebrate the creativity - it is a fine thing to witness en masse.

I'm pleased to have the opportunity to put my work up here for comment. I love all of the tracks contributed so far - for different reasons. I am glad to learn from the efforts of others, and from their comments. This is my first time using VST effects - it was a learning experience, especially with limitations on my hardware.

I'd love to know what everyone else used, especially for re-pitching the vocals.

Some of the sounds on other people's tracks were spectacular.

I did originally question the validity of adding additional tracks, but figured adding tracks wasn't a crime, but replacing tracks all together wasn't what I should be doing. In the end, the listener just wants an aesthetic experience, so that's what I felt was the bottom line.

I was a little embarrassed to enter, but I felt that other people would feel better about their own efforts if I entered.

Lumbago

n-tracks software
Pentium III 600mHz 256kB RAM laptop
1GB disk space free
Windows 2000
Cheap Roland headphones and in-ear walkman headphones.
n-tracks EQ
Freeverb (reverb)
Akai compressor (vocal)
Double Delay (delay/chorus)
Akai pitch correction (vocal)

I added some strings from a Roland XV-5050, played real-time (no sequence/midi) against the vocal and guitar track, then re-imported my string track into the mix of original tracks. The timing was somehow out due to "stretch", so I had to slice thin wedges out of the track to fix it.

I have low-grade gear, no speakers, and had to EQ by sight because of bad headphones, and overdub by recording against the vocal track alone, and importing into n-tracks, because I was out of CPU and RAM and had low disk space on my old Pentium 3 laptop. I couldn't even run all the tracks concurrently due to CPU (so I lost one overhead and the toms).

I had fun and learned a lot.

Thanks to the organizers.

Big Tip: If you don't have money for good monitors, buy these:
http://www.djmart.com/senhd25sphea.html
Sennheiser HD 25 SP headphones. Under 100 bucks, and sound great. You won't get that roomfilling experience of 2x100 watt 1000 dollar monitors, but at least you won't have to EQ by sight anymore :)

Yes, very off-topic, I know.

lumbago said:
I'd love to know what everyone else used, especially for re-pitching the vocals.

Well, I used Sonar 3.1.1 out through a RME Hammerfall DIGI9636 ADAT lightpipe interface into a Tascam 24 digital mixer. For compression, I used the internal compressors in the board. For vocals, I didn't use any pitch correction (because I don't own any), but I did run it through compression a sound enhancer/exciter, a de-esser, and cathedral reverb. I used various other effects on several instruments. The organ sound was from an E-Mu Proteus 1000 midi module and panned wide.

-E

xfinsterx said:
Well the next mix will be metal and it will go up on the 7th.
Should be challenging/fun.
I think by the poll results the one after this(mix contest 4) will be a rockin' tune though.

no...finster, i voted for experimental not metal. So we have to do that. :cool: :p :D

xfinsterx said:
Hey all.

These files are in 44/16
There are two sets of files
1.Mac users is aiff's that have been stuffed(stuffit)
2.Pc users is wav's that have been zipped(zip)

The download dealine is 8/25/04
The entries deadline is 8/31/04
The winner will be announced 9/5/04

The contest judge will be Bruce from Blue Bear Sound.

This is a basic drums, acoustic gtr,bass,vox setup.
The songs bpm is 112.00. So feel free to remix, add/subtract, whatever.

The artist is a female christian folk singer that im recording for free as a fun little side project, so i didnt take the greatest care in tracking :o Just kinda threw some mic's on her. I got her permission to use the song for this competition which was very kind of her! :)

Giles117 will be graciously putting up an Alesis 3630 as the winners prize!
Just have fun mixing and learning!
Simple eh? ;)

www.geomana.com/~new_audio

Good luck!

If you have any questions mail me at chris@geomana.com

Hopefully Blue Bear Sound will consider the "leeways" allowed by xfinsterx in his originall post when considering what HE CONSIDERS the best mix, regardless of race, creed, color or sex.....or added tracks, omitted tracks, etc...

Had xfinsterx requested to mix using ONLY the supplied tracks and no augmentation of any type to the song, I think the contest would be quite different. Hopefully those of the opinion of "becoming part of the band" or adding extra tracks can understand why I decided it was acceptable to do in this particular contest....not to mention altering the tempo too!!

Good luck to all!!

mixmkr said:
Hopefully Blue Bear Sound will consider the "leeways" allowed by xfinsterx in his originall post when considering what HE CONSIDERS the best mix, regardless of race, creed, color or sex.....or added tracks, omitted tracks, etc...

Had xfinsterx requested to mix using ONLY the supplied tracks and no augmentation of any type to the song, I think the contest would be quite different. Hopefully those of the opinion of "becoming part of the band" or adding extra tracks can understand why I decided it was acceptable to do in this particular contest....not to mention altering the tempo too!!

Good luck to all!!

Your remix was bad as hell.
Period.
I welcome the constructive creativity.
Who gives a damn who wins....
I just like to hear everybodys enturpretation.
Thanx to all for the entries.

xfinsterx said:
Your remix was bad as hell.
Period.

bummer dude!! :)

btw, I used Adobe Audtion entirely. No 3rd party plugins. I ran it on my new Dell and did the entire contest in one sitting...which lasted till 3 am!!....about the time I finally posted that day...starting the project just after supper.

oh...there was a strat in there too, and a Roland XP80.
I'd say I mixed it on my Sony MDR7606 headphones, but BlueBear would probably disqualify me just for that!!!... so I did use speakers at some point in time.
xfinsterx said:
Who gives a damn who wins....

I do!!! My rack is obviously void of a 3630 Alesis compressor.

Here's My entery, All natural!
Sonar and Waves, pretty basic straight forward mix, nothing special.

The fade-in was a mistake but I like it now, I know the final mix is overcompressed but don't have time to go back and lessen it, Oh well:)

Raw-Tracks said:
Here's my entry. Haven't had a lot of time to listen to many of the submissions. Only a couple so far. Hopefully I can find some time soon to offer up some comments.

In terms of what tracks were offered id say this was
Rock solid.

Last edited:
mixmkr said:
Here's my thoughts on "judging" this on Wednesday morning.......

Step 1 -
No biases -- I don't care who submits, I'll be listening very objectively - much like I would for any client who asks me for song evaluations before starting a large project.

Step 2 -
I will listen to each track on it's own merits -- which means, I'm not going to be comparing creativity between tracks themselves, only that each mix speaks to me on it's own.

Step 3 -
Quantitative evaluation -- track balance, levels, sonics, timbre, imaging, placement of mix elements, overall sound quality. These are all well-defined parameters for what constitutes a "good mix" (and usually where most people don't quite nail it!)

And yes, while the quantitive aspects of a good mix are fairly well-defined, don't forget that regardless of the end result, it's still amounts to only one person's opinion! The opinion of any of the mixes that really counts is your own. But if my or anyone else comments in this entire thread helps someone improve their mix quality, all the better.......!

In any case, I'm looking forward to checking them all out!

Back