• Rock

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Rap/hip hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acoustic

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Experimental

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I dont give a damn Finster. Just put up the next contest!

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey, Raw --

Congrats!! If you have a little time (and remember), can you post up what you did in terms of your mixing? It can be as meta (positions) or as micro (eq levels, etc.) as you want. I, and I think a lot of other new mixers here would sure appreciate it!

-E

Great!

This was amazing. A few too many people complaining but other than that from the original tracks to the number of people that entered and the excellent judging, it was a really cool experience. I will definately win the next one! Thanks finster and Blue Bear and everyone else that was involved. I hope that you judge more of the contests Blue Bear and I totally agree with your scoring and comments.

Ya, tx guys, I like these sort of things too. I actually bagged two "yikes" lol. Keep 'em coming...

...and better look out for me next time :)

AWHL RIGHT!! hey congrats raw-tracks!!

thanks to finster, G, and especially Blue Bear for taking the time to score the mix!!

It was great to see the entries, and learn from ya all, and from the outcome of this contest.

Keep um comin'

T

Why after skimming through the last bunch of posts do i get the impression that there are some of you who arent comfortable with how this is judged?

This kinda kiddy shit dissapoints the fuck out of me.

If your blowing wind questioning methods, or selfishly questioning your rating/standing in the final decision.....you have missied the point of the contest.

Listen up nay-sayers.....

Bruce did me and all of you a favor by judging this contest.
I dont want to hear any questioning of the methods used or any shit like that..

If you dont like the way it was judged.

PUHLEEASE

Do not enter the next contest.

I dont want you belittling how fun this experience has and will be again, with your skeptical bullshit.

Have a nice day. :cool:

What a way 2 vent. LOL

Yeah folks use this for what it really is. A learning tool :)

SO FREAKIN' LEARN already. :)

Ok just had to toss in my 2 cents. LOL

giles117 said:
What a way 2 vent. LOL

Yeah folks use this for what it really is. A learning tool :)

SO FREAKIN' LEARN already. :)

Ok just had to toss in my 2 cents. LOL

Amen to that!

Shut up And Improve your skills damnit! :D

finster...i'd like to complain about your complaining of everyone else complaining. I didn't find it professional enough. I think you compared the complaining of everone else to the complaining of people who are expert complainers. complaining is an art in itself and i think next time we need to judge the complaining by the complaining of NON-expert complainers. I mean, come on!! If you complained about me complaining I'd still complain about about how I wasn't being complained about enough. So please, next time...complain better
:cool: :p

but seriously, thanks for doing this contest for us again. i got one of the worst scores out of the bunch of us. and you know what...i don't give a shit. it was fun. so if anyone here feels it wasn't judged fairly enough, compare your score to mine and just shut up. :cool:

you go G!! and fin!!

I can say at least one thing, ok maybe more..

Don't ever use new plugs on a project that you are not familiar with , like ol dummy me !!

Actually I'm starting to try and get away from plugs, but the ol budget just doesn't cut it for great analog stuff - oops that makes 2 .

At any case , I think I learned alot here. I rather knew my shortcomings, and was confirmed by BB. Just gotta keep on with the chops.

The bottom line is the result of the mix. hmm..Now where is that raw-track's mix.

Thanx again dudes.

T

bennychico11 said:
finster...i'd like to complain about your complaining of everyone else complaining. I didn't find it professional enough. I think you compared the complaining of everone else to the complaining of people who are expert complainers. complaining is an art in itself and i think next time we need to judge the complaining by the complaining of NON-expert complainers. I mean, come on!! If you complained about me complaining I'd still complain about about how I wasn't being complained about enough. So please, next time...complain better
:cool: :p

I got dizzy while reading this!

I'm learning more from the judging than I did from the mixing.

I'd like to point out that eliminating the most subjective category, overall sound quality, doesn't change the rankings much. This assures me that the judge didn't fancy any particular style - just the sound quality of the individual mix. This stoic impartiality gives me confidence in the scores and I can conclude that they make a good reference for improvement.

I also find that the categories I concentrated on are the ones I scored highest in. This tells me not only that someone is actually listening to my work but that I have hope.

Looking at the scoring, I am learning from everyone else's mix by listening for the reason's they were scored that way. The most interesting being tekker who was both the lowest ranking with any 4s and the highest ranking with a 1. From what I've listened to so far, I am agreeing with the scores.

I agree with judging on a professional level. If it can be done better it shouldn't receive a top score. We should all strive for the best it can be.

The only thing I can ask for next time is a direction on the "low end" and "air" categories. With my 2's I can reasonably guess that my low end was a little much and I needed more air but had I scored a 3 or 4 I'm not sure I would know which way to go.

Overall I find the scoring and categories to be very useful and the judge to be fair and impartial. He didn't have to do it this way. I personally appreciate the thought, genuine effort, and time spent on ranking everyone's mix.

Thanks to xfinsterx, Blu Bear Sound, and Giles!

And congratulations to Raw-Tracks! Great mix but I'm actually learning more from bennychico11!

Credit to the guys who made this possible!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, I think everyone (winners or not) really needs to thanks Finster, Giles and Blue Bear, for making this possible.

I haven't had time to visit the forums lately (new job...), much less participate in this contest, but I applaud all that organize and contribute!!! I think it's one of the best uses of the entire internet, much less this BBS!!!!

It gives a chance to mix other's material, which honestly, is not something most non-professionals ever get a chance to do. And like it ir hate it, Blue Bear is pretty objective judge....

Kudos to ALL!!! And God Bless George Bush!!!! :D :D :D :D

Erik713 said:
Hey, Raw --

Congrats!! If you have a little time (and remember), can you post up what you did in terms of your mixing? It can be as meta (positions) or as micro (eq levels, etc.) as you want. I, and I think a lot of other new mixers here would sure appreciate it!

-E

Wow, I'm shocked to have been judged the best. Thanks Blue Bear! Here are a few notes off the top of my head as to what I did:

First, I attempted to gate the kick, as the snare was bleeding something fierce into the kick track. I found that the EQ curve that I wanted to use on the kick was causing the snare bleed to really kill the snare sound. I could not get a gate to trigger properly on the kick, even with filtering the sidechain. I finally decided to go in and draw volume curves on the kick track. That was very tedious, but proved effective in eliminating nearly all of the bleed on the kick track. After drawing the curves on the kick, I decided I might as well draw curves for all of the Tom tracks. That was much easier as the toms are not used near as much as the kick. I didn't draw volume curves for the snare. I wanted to, but I just didn't want to spend the time after the kick track wore me out. A gate proved pretty effective on the snare. I think there were a few false triggers, but nothing that got in the way. After I finished the volume curves on the kick, I applied some EQ and compression, can't remember the details off the top of my head.

The snare, as I mention, was gated. I used a pretty fast release. After the gate, the snare was just a pretty short burst. I used a gated reverb to lengthen out the decay of the gated snare. I then also applied a short reverb to snare. I think I rolled off quite a bit of low end on the snare. I thought it was quite boomy. I also applied a touch of compression.

I wrestled with the toms a little, but abandoned them pretty quickly. I just didn't dig their tone, and nothing I did seemed to really help them. I did draw volume curves to reduce the bleed. Also added a touch of reverb.

Overheads, I think I boosted a bit somewhere between 8-12kHz with a high shelf. Probably just a hint of compression. I can't remember for sure if I rolled off the lows, but I probably did.

I wasn't too keen on the bass guitar at first. I cranked up the low end quite a bit, then really spanked it with a couple of compressors. Suddenly, I felt the bass come to life, and actually found it quite useable. I think I also added a touch of distortion.

The acoustic guitar was quite boomy. I cut out a bunch of the low end, and boosted the highs. I compressed it pretty hard, then sent a delayed version a little right of center, and the original a little to the left of center. That gave it a little stereo spread.

On the vocal, I know I boosted a high shelf around 14kHz, or so. Can't remember off hand if I did much else with the EQ. I compressed a bit. Also added a touch of a short plate patch. I used a doubler patch on the vocal at about 1:46, just to sort of bring the song to a head. Then I killed it after the drop out at about 2:26. I also ran the vocal through (gulp...) Auto-Tune. I used the automatic setting set pretty loose. Mostly just nudging the pitch back in the right direction. I didn't want to take the time to just draw in the offending pitches.

At the bridge section after the second chorus, I wanted to take the song up a notch. I took the snare track and made a copy of that section. I then reversed the snare track so it would play backwards. I then printed a long reverb from the snare to another file. I then reversed that reverb file. Now what I had was a file that was just reversed reverb that was preceding the actual snare track. I threw that reverse "pre-verb" in during that section just to give it a different feel. I followed that up with that long reverb shot sustaining over the drop out before the ending.

That's all I can think of for now.

Thanks Again Finster for providing the tracks! Giles for providing the bandwidth and prize! Blue Bear for Judging!

Those are some mighty veteran mix moves there eric.
Again, nice work.

Oh BTW check your mail box here and on your raw tracks site please.

I'd say it does have a to do a bit with taste ofcourse (music is greatly a matter of feeling after all) but I'm very happy with the way things were judged :)

Funny how I know monitors do pretty much nuthin' below 100 hertz, and my sub does way to much in the area, so yeah, I saw the 2 points for the low end comin' heheheh, and that for a bassplayer *is ashamed*.

Eric, Nice Mixing. :)

Very Pro Specially that verb trick. :)

Now to who ever was crying that is what we are talking about GET YO MIX ON baby

Pay attention to how he made the bass breathe.

Compressors are creative tools. Not just leveling tools. :)

Bahh, i missed this competition also! I really want to enter one of these comps some time. THink its a close to genius idea. I dont have much in equipment ,but im sure i could come up with some original mixes using wavelab and my digi recorder.

Back