Pro Tools noob question...

Go Sonar.Unlimited tracks, user friendly with interfaces etc. I got an mbox 2 for shits and grins and cant even imagine using it full time over protools. Plus, what is the real chance of at your stage the need to transfer projects to other studios.Plus if your a noob,your recording skills will need to be crafted and I really doubt you'll be mixing projects from other studios..no offence but you get my drift. No project swapping at this point I mean

While I personally enjoy Sonar over Pro Tools, the guy's already purchased his equipment. I know the thread is a little long and somewhat annoying to read in places, but I'd still recommend reading it all before replying :p

This is becoming pretty entertaining....but I've gotten all the info I need so i'll probably just close the thread now and save all the arguments....if you want to bash me some more, just wait till i post some of the stuff i've recorded....I may be a noob to pro tools but i'm not a noob to music friends and i'll be laying some phat ass beats in my mad lab YO! peace fools!

steve.h I like you. I have no idea what the lil x was, but I'm sure it would of been entertaining to see.

I have to say kudos on your bands album I respect anyone who gives out decent quality music to people for free

just wait till i post some of the stuff i've recorded....I may be a noob to pro tools but i'm not a noob to music friends and i'll be laying some phat ass beats in my mad lab YO! peace fools!

I look forword to it I'll be there telling you why your music sucks and what your doing wrong :D

regarding ProTools importing of Session from one version (7.3) to another (6.1)

Sup, y'all?

I had a question that really had no other place on this forum (I placed it in here since it's more of a technical question, but one that I can't resolve myself since I don't have the PT version at hand... anyways, you'll catch on)...

Simply put, I wish to open a Pro Tools session that was originally recorded in 7.3 (PC), and open it into PT 6.1 (PC)...

Is there any saving options in 7.3 that can basically "downgrade" a session to open up with 6.1? Or is there any other way to make 6.1 recognize it? Because obviously, 6.1 is not recognizing the PTF from 7.3.

If anyone can help, i'd highly appreciate it. Thanks!

While I personally enjoy Sonar over Pro Tools, the guy's already purchased his equipment. I know the thread is a little long and somewhat annoying to read in places, but I'd still recommend reading it all before replying :p

He did? Opps, sorry.I buzzed through quick and thought he said he was "thinking" about getting PT. Back to topic. You can do some nice recordings even with just the preamps in the 003 or mbox fo0r that matter. Maybe not grammy worthy but still pretty nice. I would,as someone else mentioned,focus on the "art of recording" as well as the nuts and bolts of it i.e better preamps,monitors.

I'm assuming cause the arm and leg you have to give to get your hands on a piece of equipment....granted, but If i want to run with the big dogs i gotta quit eating kibble and get some real meat....bad analogy but hopefully you see where I'm getting at.

I've looked and played around with a lot of different DAW but I keep getting drawn back to P.T. As much as people hate to admit it, it's really becoming the standard in studios, at least that's from my view.

SO this is what I'm looking at running a Digidesign 003 rack, a Presonus Digimax for additional inputs via lightpipe, all Firewire to Pro Tools 8 LE. Would sync'r be necessary or does the 003 take care of that?
This is why I thought he had not purchased anything yet...opps. Should have read all.

here are some pics of the computer build that took place yesterday....runs great

100_0267-1.jpg

_
100_0268.jpg

_
100_0269.jpg

_
100_0270.jpg

_
100_0273.jpg

_
100_0275.jpg

_
100_0277.jpg

_
100_0278.jpg

_
100_0281.jpg

_
100_0285.jpg

_
100_0294.jpg

_
100_0289.jpg

_
I'm sure douchelos..err i mean doulos has something intelligent and insightful to say....huh?

sure why not I'll bite it's a recording computer it sure looks fancy quad core processing sounds technical looks killer but that means squat for recording

here is what is going to matter for you

is the chipset aproved by digidesign? they kind of suck at making hardwear work with windows please tell me your avoiding vista or anything newer with digidesign cause as i just said digidesign sucks at making stuff work with anything but intel chipsets and only of certain model numbers

did the samething sweet pc when I started fully loaded blew chunks with pro tools had to rebuild it with a new motherboard and processor to get it to not crash. so all in all i spent 1,200 on my pc and 800 on ptle then i switched to xp from windows 98 my plug in count dropped from like 30 plug ins to 6 crashes constantly and well you get the picture

how quiet is your pc? sure looks nice with all them lights, but proably wont be worth much if it's having to be stuffed in a isolation box to keep the noise floor down for recording no?

mine was nice I though it was quiet till I pluged in a tube mic and found out how loud it really was I had to put it behind a iso box with 1/2 inch plexi glass and had to make the thing watercooled so it could take the heat of the iso box had to get rid of the fancy graphics card and go with a plain one so the heat was less and the stability greater as well

dua core cpu nice but

how many processors does pro tools le use while recording?
last time I checked it ws only one but with 8 they may of updated it

i had a dual core and I had to down grade to a single northbridge at the highest mhz I could get at the time 3.8 I believe cause a dual core was actully under preforming in pro tools cuse the version I have only runs one processor at a time

good luck and hope it works well for you

sure why not I'll bite it's a recording computer it sure looks fancy quad core processing sounds technical looks killer but that means squat for recording

here is what is going to matter for you

is the chipset aproved by digidesign? they kind of suck at making hardwear work with windows please tell me your avoiding vista or anything newer with digidesign cause as i just said digidesign sucks at making stuff work with anything but intel chipsets and only of certain model numbers

did the samething sweet pc when I started fully loaded blew chunks with pro tools had to rebuild it with a new motherboard and processor to get it to not crash. so all in all i spent 1,200 on my pc and 800 on ptle then i switched to xp from windows 98 my plug in count dropped from like 30 plug ins to 6 crashes constantly and well you get the picture

how quiet is your pc? sure looks nice with all them lights, but proably wont be worth much if it's having to be stuffed in a isolation box to keep the noise floor down for recording no?

mine was nice I though it was quiet till I pluged in a tube mic and found out how loud it really was I had to put it behind a iso box with 1/2 inch plexi glass and had to make the thing watercooled so it could take the heat of the iso box had to get rid of the fancy graphics card and go with a plain one so the heat was less and the stability greater as well

dua core cpu nice but

how many processors does pro tools le use while recording?
last time I checked it ws only one but with 8 they may of updated it

i had a dual core and I had to down grade to a single northbridge at the highest mhz I could get at the time 3.8 I believe cause a dual core was actully under preforming in pro tools cuse the version I have only runs one processor at a time

good luck and hope it works well for you

Sorry about the late reply.....but i got all my toys in and i've been caved up with all the stuff.

as far as the pc goes I spec'd it out per sweetwater's creation station and spent about half of what it would cost.

The pc is suprisingly quite to have such a massive heatsink. But i'm in the process of building a desk with a rack unit on the left and a computer case on the right with a glass front on it, so i can still see the pretty blue lights and it's going to be "soundproofed" and ventilated.

PT's shows that it's using 8 processors @ 85% CPU usage and it runs amazing.....i've only ran into two or three problems in the last 3 or 4 days, working 12+ hours a day. I'll go into detail about the problems in a minute.

So to sum it all up the computer is working great.

The issue i'm having with PT8 is.....in the middle of a session i'll be recording and press stop and go back to play back and it play at what sounds like half speed, but it's just extremely slow...I called tech support and they said they is a key combo you can hit to make it do that, but when it happened i wasn't using the key board i was using my Presonus Faderport.....also I was working mainly in Grid mode and when it happens i tried to switch to slip mode and it highlights both modes instead of one or the other.....

Has anyone else had this problem.....

Back