Pro Tools noob question...

stepXinXtheXmix

Hey all. I am wondering about simultaneous track recording with the 003 products. Is there away to expand the number of inputs? For instance, say you're recording a full drum kit and you're wanting at least 11 mics on the kit, plus a scratch guitar or vocal. I know this may be a super simple question for most of you but, like the title says....I'm a noob to this.

The only way to expand the number of inputs for simultaneous recording is by using multiple interfaces. Each digi003 only has 8 analog inputs. You would have to add a second digi003 (which would give you a total of 16 inputs). Unfortunately, that would be the only way.

If you are using Pro Tools LE or M-Powered then you are out of luck and can only run 1 interface at a time. If you have PT HD then you can run whatever you want. If LE is your modus operandi then you are in for an expensive solution as you can only use Digidesign products. M-Powered uses M-Audio products as well and they make an 8 input firewire interface for $699.99 via Musician's Friend.

Not sure if that helped but I tried at least.

Well, plain and simple you need an interface with 8 inputs. On a side note be sure you are running firewire when recording 8 simultaneous inputs since USB 2.0 cannot handle that much information. There are interfaces with 8 inputs with USB but do not waste your time with these.

However, if you are running the 003 then you are more than likely running LE, correct? If that is the case then you still have to find a Digidesign interface with 8 mic inputs. Like I said before, Digidesign is not cheap but look at their website and then search elsewhere to find a slightly reduced cost product.

Hope that helps.

Lots of bad/not entirely correct information floating around in this thread. You don't need a new interface to get more channels, you need another pre-amp with ADAT out. If you have a 003, it has an ADAT/"Lightpipe" input on the back that can handle 8 channels of audio by itself, thus giving you 16 channels of audio (or 12 if you don't have any other pre's going into the 4 non-pre-amplified channels on your 003).

I recommend this one:

http://www.gigasonic.com/Presonus-DigimaxLt.html

Or in a pinch, this one will work (although as a general rule, try to avoid Behringer gear):

http://www.gigasonic.com/Behringer-ADA8000.html

Lots of bad/not entirely correct information floating around in this thread. You don't need a new interface to get more channels, you need another pre-amp with ADAT out. If you have a 003, it has an ADAT/"Lightpipe" input on the back that can handle 8 channels of audio by itself, thus giving you 16 channels of audio (or 12 if you don't have any other pre's going into the 4 non-pre-amplified channels on your 003).

I recommend this one:

http://www.gigasonic.com/Presonus-DigimaxLt.html

Or in a pinch, this one will work (although as a general rule, try to avoid Behringer gear):

http://www.gigasonic.com/Behringer-ADA8000.html

Your band is sick by the way....kudos
Sweet! So if you're running a 003, what's the limit on inputs you can have? Sorry to be so confused about this, just new to it....

Hey all. I am wondering about simultaneous track recording with the 003 products. Is there away to expand the number of inputs? For instance, say you're recording a full drum kit and you're wanting at least 11 mics on the kit, plus a scratch guitar or vocal. I know this may be a super simple question for most of you but, like the title says....I'm a noob to this.

Same thing for M-Powered 18 I/O's. But for M-Powered you will have more options of wich AD/DA you can use.:D
I assume he has a 003 already, although I could obviously be wrong!

Are you doing just midi or more audio recordings.

He said he'd like to do at least 11 drum tracks plus scratch tracks. Did you even read his post?

have you considered?

Step, have you thought about Ableton Live for recording drums? Some fun beat stretching/editing features and song arrangement stuff that might suit your style.

Plus, you wouldn't be wed to Digidesign hardware and so would have some less expensive options for audio input available.

Well hot damn! Stay away from Pro Tools then hah

I'm assuming cause the arm and leg you have to give to get your hands on a piece of equipment....granted, but If i want to run with the big dogs i gotta quit eating kibble and get some real meat....bad analogy but hopefully you see where I'm getting at.

I've looked and played around with a lot of different DAW but I keep getting drawn back to P.T. As much as people hate to admit it, it's really becoming the standard in studios, at least that's from my view.

SO this is what I'm looking at running a Digidesign 003 rack, a Presonus Digimax for additional inputs via lightpipe, all Firewire to Pro Tools 8 LE. Would sync'r be necessary or does the 003 take care of that?

Back