Power cable for Tascam M 520?

I opened it up. Thing is super clean. Found what looks like a blown capacitor on channel 3 on the VU. I also tried the mic jack and no go. I'm tempted to disassemble the head phone area and see if I can find anything.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause some of the issues I'm having?

Update: Oh man. Borrowed a friends XLR cable. Plugging that into the mic then doing the send out to an external mixer lets the mic be picked up crystal clear for most channels. With a few being fuzzy for either bad settings or maybe there is lots of oxidation. Still no noise from the internal headphone jack. Maybe I just need lots of stuff hooked up to get sound?

Last edited:
I got out put to the tape deck by using the direct out. how would I hook up it so those twenty inputs would be down mixed to 8? Also how would I monitor my tape playback?

I haven't posted because I'm a little scared. No offense.

I could easily give you a step by step directive on how to set the mixer to monitor inputs but it sounds like you have more than just user error going on. It sounds like both; equipment issues and lack of understanding. Again, I mean no offense, but I jsut want you to understand why I was chiming in and then I stopped. The questions you are asking indicate to me that you don't understand how to operate the board. I'd like to help but I'm not sure how. I feel like you need to slow down and take it one step at a time. If you don't take it in a step-wise fashion then you risk compounding errors and pretty soon there's no way for somebody to help via forum messaging.

Yeah. I don't blame you. I think I've narrowed down the issue though. It appears that the internal amp is bad. I can get sound using another mixer to take the output from a channels using SEND or Direct out. None of the bussing or monitor or VU's or oscillators work; however, however, I do get a whine if I press a solo button on a channel or occasionally I'll heard the mic but the volume is super low and highly distorted.

UPDATE: I read in your thread how the amp is powered by 15V. I measured pins 1 and 14 using my multimeter and got a reading of 15V. Pins 2 and 15 I got nothing. I believe this is what is causing all my issues.

Also If i turn on EQ the direct out stops working. Which rail is responsible for the EQ?

Last edited:
Hello -Sorry to jump here but Sweetbeats, you seem like the neighborhood M-520 expert. I have been asked by a friend to build a PS for his M520. Do yo have any info that might help me build or reftofit a PS for his board? Or if you can point me in the right direction for a complete PS, that would be great. -We're also planning to liquidate a ton of old altec, western electric & other cool old stuff, most of which has not been seen for 25 years or more. If anybody has a PS, migh be aqble to work a trade>???
Thanks a lot! Dan Weddle - DX Sound Co.

Back