Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

This is the final mix of a song I posted a few weeks ago. Same old problem with the digital conversion. Highs are a little to high and harsh and some hum that you can hear in some places. Does not sound bad until converted. Please let me know what you all think.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=997040&songID=8311063

Nicely done. It reminds me a bit of Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be Happy". I'd bring in the spread vocals a bit closer to the center (not all the way to the center). I think this would help the timing of the two voices sound closer. Give it a shot and see what you think. In the mean time, don't worry, be happy. ;)

I found the master tapes of the latin album. It's two half in pancakes, but no track listing was in the boxes. The tape is covered in white mold. That happens alot down here with things in storage (my half inch MRL test tape is in the same condition). :( I suspect it would still play, but I'd probably play it through a few times outside before bringing it into the house.

I found the master tapes of the latin album. It's two half in pancakes, but no track listing was in the boxes. The tape is covered in white mold. That happens alot down here with things in storage (my half inch MRL test tape is in the same condition). :( I suspect it would still play, but I'd probably play it through a few times outside before bringing it into the house.

Well, it's great to hear it still exists, even if it is worse for wear. What kind of tape was it recorded on, by the way?

Nicely done. It reminds me a bit of Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be Happy". I'd bring in the spread vocals a bit closer to the center (not all the way to the center). I think this would help the timing of the two voices sound closer. Give it a shot and see what you think. In the mean time, don't worry, be happy. ;)

Thanks for taking a listen. I know it's not as professional as I wanted it to be, but I only had a few hours to do it all. I hate not having monitors. I'll try panning the vox a little less. How can you get the mold off the reels without damaging them?

Here's another one. It's time to go to church, brothers and sisters. Edwin Hawkins peforming "Oh Happy Day". This song (not this version) reached #4 on the US pop charts in 1969, the highest chart position of any gospel song. This version was recorded by me in 1977(?) in concert at the St. Paul Civic Center Theater. Hawkins was on piano and some vocals with many solos throughout the song (as in the original). The main soloist with the deep voice (I think) is the same female singer as on the original hit. The chior was made up of members of most of the black churches from the twin cities. There were approx 500 in the chior on the stage and about 1500 in the audience who joined in as they felt. I would LOVE to be able to remix this thing today, but no machine to use. It was recorded on the trusty 80-8 (with DBX) and mixed in the studio to the Teac A-7300-2T. If I recall correctly there were between 12-16 microphones used. I used passive splitters (not recommended) to split the mics between me and the sound reinforcement guy (who came with me). This was one of the most fun concerts I ever recorded. The ENERGY was amazing. I don't think anyone sat still though the whole performance. To get this into Soundclick I had to go to 96Kbps MP3, but I didn't want to cut the 9 minute song short. Clap your hands brothers and sisters!! ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8318212

That's a good version of that song. You can really tell a huge difference between the 128 and the 96Kbps but it was worth it.

Here's my first country contribution...
This was recorded in about 1978 or so during the Carter administration. The song is about the wearyness of being president and how Jimmy wanted to be back in Georgia riding the back woods roads with Billy and a six pack. Once again, this was an 80-8 session and was done over a few days with a variety of people coming in and doing some overdubs. I'm not really a country fan, but when you have a studio you do what you can. It was actually an enjoyable and fun session. The artist called himself Johnny Cane. Enjoy and feel free to comment.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8349219
I'll put up another fun country song when some others contribute. ;)

Here's a demo that I made. I might use 10-30 seconds of it in another piece...
Temper Tantra

And here's one that I did on my room mate's 424 mkiii. I cheated and used Audacity for "splicing" and looping, because all of my equipment was in pieces at the moment. I like it... it's not the style that I'm going for, but it's my one-minute homage the music that inspired me.

Routes

Nice loops Lo-fi. I like the second the best. What I am going to do is record then and play them backwards to hear the way it sounded forwards. Man I think I just confused myself.

Here's my first country contribution...
This was recorded in about 1978 or so during the Carter administration. The song is about the wearyness of being president and how Jimmy wanted to be back in Georgia riding the back woods roads with Billy and a six pack. Once again, this was an 80-8 session and was done over a few days with a variety of people coming in and doing some overdubs. I'm not really a country fan, but when you have a studio you do what you can. It was actually an enjoyable and fun session. The artist called himself Johnny Cane. Enjoy and feel free to comment.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8349219
I'll put up another fun country song when some others contribute. ;)

Did you have a straight face when he was doing his lead vox? Take it from me, I know bad singing when I hear it because I can't sing a note. On a good note, the sound is again fantastically recorded. I'm starting to record our band practices on my Nephews Teac X-7R just to have it recorded for playback. I'll try to have a song posted sometime this week. I must also admit, I'm kind of disappointed that more people haven't contributed to the thread.

..............:eek:;)

Wishful thinking. I got out of recording in the mid/late '70's when I was hired away from myself by my equipment supplier. I'm starting to pick up some stuff now to do some location recording (not that there's a market for that here), but, I'm afraid it's all from the dark side (digital). The only things that I have to post are from about 1973 to 1978 or so. :( Looking back I wish I hadn't allowed myself to be hired away from myself and had stuck with recording, even though I did work with some interesting people and equipment when in the pro audio business.

Back