Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Thanks, Dodge. Obviously you are a youngster and the song was before your time. ;) He had a few hits back then, this being his biggest, going to #1 on the pop charts (actually, #3 on Billboard and #1 on a couple of others). He's best known for doing "Cowboy songs". I recorded the whole performance that night, about 1.5 hours or so. About 45 minutes was used on the radio, mostly his hits.

Not so much these days. I'm almost 37 Al tho to some I'm young, I love all the older music. Elvis IS has been and always will be the KING of R&R my music tastes go back to the 30's and 40's Glen Miller Guy Lombardo. ETC I think I read in one of your posts that you worked for Pickwick Records at one time? I was wondering if you did any remastering to some of the Elvis records that were released on the Pickwick label or were they just repressed from original masters? I remember Separate Ways on that label the most, but I know their were more. Thanks in advance for answering this question.

I'm almost 37 Al tho to some I'm young, I love all the older music. Elvis IS has been and always will be the KING of R&R my music tastes go back to the 30's and 40's Glen Miller Guy Lombardo. ETC I think I read in one of your posts that you worked for Pickwick Records at one time? I was wondering if you did any remastering to some of the Elvis records that were released on the Pickwick label or were they just repressed from original masters? I remember Separate Ways on that label the most, but I know their were more. Thanks in advance for answering this question.

You're just a kid. ;) Actually, I remasterd the "MAHALO FROM ELVIS" album while I was there. You too can own a sealed version with my name on the back for only $10.00 ;) http://www.audiophileusa.com/item.cfm?record=54529&c=1&kw=Pop

The 80-8 eh? Sounds great. I think I'd go with one of those if I ever wanted to get another 1/2" 8 track.

The 80-8 was the machine that I used the most, once I got it. I had the DBX unit with the side panels that "bolted" the two together. I also had an Anvil case with wheels built for it so that I could load it "easily" in the back of my 1972 Datsun 510 station wagon for remote gigs. :eek: It was really quite fun and worked quite well for the purpose.

"Wildfire" by Michael Murphy. I'm only going to leave this up a couple of days because I'm chicken. I was hired by the radio station that brought him to town to record the show for playback on the station. I took a split off the sound reinfocement board for most of what you hear. The split ran into the console that I was using and then into my 80-8 (with DBX). The tape was then taken into the studio and mixed there. I was sitting in the same room (a large night club) with the band, so I really couldn't tell what I was getting on tape. I pretty much just flew with the meters. :eek: The tape ran on the station a couple of days after the show. This song hit #1 in 1975. I believe the concert was about '76 or '77

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8250330

Man, I used to love that song. I remember finding it in a book of guitar tunes and learning how to play it. I guess it was the melody and the performance. It sure as hell couldn't have been the lyrics. :rolleyes:

Ok here we go with a old one. tascam 38 with dbx tascam 312b fostex spring reverb
vocal microphone mxl v67 compressors alesis 3630 mixed into a M audio delta 44 and computer with cool edit pro. Someone else did the mastering.

Sounds great Herm. It sounds even better than it did the last time. Did you just recently remaster it?

Herm, I really like your version of that song! The sound quality is fantastic, but is that you signing? It sounds great! The singing has a certain quality to it... it was sung a little lower, it would TOTALLY sound like Scott Walker!

I deleted Wildfire from my songs, but added "Jabez Jones" by The Cooper Street Band". This was recorded live in 1977 at a concert at Augsburg College in Minnesapolis. Another song that I posted earlier (Sing Gloria) was part of the same concert. This one is a bit more of a rocker. The recording was to a Teac 3340 and mixed to a Teac A-7300-2T. I have 17 songs by these guys and may post another one (or two) later. I was in the room with the band, so, even though I had headphones (Koss Pro 4AA) I couldn't get decent isolation and was just flying by the meters and hoping to get a decent balance on the 4 track. I'm not happy with the low level of the drums on the mix though. Enjoy.

Here I am hard at work that night. I really needed a beard trim. :eek:
original.jpg

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=818206&songID=8260969

Last edited:
Did you find it? Let's see a picture of the back of the cover. ;) By the way, that's got to be the worst cover on any Elvis record. :D

I did look and didn't find it. I asked my sister and she has it. She sent me a copy. As far as that being the worst Elvis cover, it just might be. I think the Christmas album where he's the snowman and Santa is kind of cool in a wired sort of way. Have a good one my friend.

mahalo.jpg

I did look and didn't find it. I asked my sister and she has it. She sent me a copy. As far as that being the worst Elvis cover, it just might be. I think the Christmas album where he's the snowman and Santa is kind of cool in a wired sort of way. Have a good one my friend.
LOL. I had forgotten that I got a bigger font in the credits than the song writers. I'm offended though that it wasn't bolded. :D

LOL. I had forgotten that I got a bigger font in the credits than the song writers. I'm offended though that it wasn't bolded. :D

Ya it must be tough to be King. (bet ya never heard that one before???)Between my brother and my older sister we had all the Elvis releases from the Pickwick label. I tried to search The Cooper Street Band for more music and couldn't find it. I liked "Jabez Jones" it was a good song.

Herm, I really like your version of that song! The sound quality is fantastic, but is that you signing? It sounds great! The singing has a certain quality to it... it was sung a little lower, it would TOTALLY sound like Scott Walker!

Me sing?:eek: No No No You dont want to hear that. This is some buddies of mine that came over a few years ago and did a cd. They where a 5 piece group.

Ok now Richard has made me get my old recording out that I did on my 3340
at a live gig. THis was recorded with the recorder sitting on my trap case next to me at a gig hear in bloomington. It was done on 456 at 7.5 ips.
The bass and drums where mixed together from a send off of the board that we ran from stage. I had to guess at the levels between the bass and the drums. I am ashamed of the drum mix cause its way to loud. Every thing was taken off of the direct outs of a mackie 16 channel stage board to my 3340.
This was the last band I was in. I wish I hadnt recrorded over this tape after I did this so I could go back and fix it.

And Mike if you are listening to this Sorry. It wont stay up long:D

Back