Post-Rock Anyone?

240v

Super Perfectionist
I'm trying to write some songs in this genre, but it's very hard. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to write, or tips on how to write this genre? Thanks!

Personally I find the easiest way to come up with lyrics is to dig into the experiences or aspirations that are prominent because of the underlying feeling of them. If you have angst or a strong yearning for something/someone, good times/bad times, or an imagined but very much sought after life experience you have knowledge of, all of these elements are at your disposal. You might have to put a little shyness at unwrapping aspects of yourself to one side and maybe manipulate some things in how you write them, if you really don't want to share in an obvious way something which is deeply personal. Authenticity tends to come across much better than bullshit, especially if it's something that's touched a raw nerve. I don't see genre as a barrier for any subject, though I appreciate it needs to be deliverable in a way which suits a chosen genre. You might find that if you try too hard to contrive lyrics, you'll dry up, perhaps try being flippant but relevant. Find a random set of words that fit a line, get you head around the chosen subject and allow that throw away line to evolve into one you can use by writing subsequent lines underneath it which mirror the phrasing and maybe the rhyme or vowel sounds that exist in that initial line and you might well find that it triggers some random gems that you can collate and trim until you have something which you can use to form your lyrics.

Good luck

Tim

Personally I find the easiest way to come up with lyrics is to dig into the experiences or aspirations that are prominent because of the underlying feeling of them. If you have angst or a strong yearning for something/someone, good times/bad times, or an imagined but very much sought after life experience you have knowledge of, all of these elements are at your disposal. You might have to put a little shyness at unwrapping aspects of yourself to one side and maybe manipulate some things in how you write them, if you really don't want to share in an obvious way something which is deeply personal. Authenticity tends to come across much better than bullshit, especially if it's something that's touched a raw nerve. I don't see genre as a barrier for any subject, though I appreciate it needs to be deliverable in a way which suits a chosen genre. You might find that if you try too hard to contrive lyrics, you'll dry up, perhaps try being flippant but relevant. Find a random set of words that fit a line, get you head around the chosen subject and allow that throw away line to evolve into one you can use by writing subsequent lines underneath it which mirror the phrasing and maybe the rhyme or vowel sounds that exist in that initial line and you might well find that it triggers some random gems that you can collate and trim until you have something which you can use to form your lyrics.

Good luck

Tim

Thanks man. I appreciate your feedback. I was looking more for tips on the music, but I still appreciate your feedback! Thanks :)

This is a great place to learn about recording from some awesome people but, truthfully, there are only a couple here (if that) who will even know what you're talking about. :)

That being said, writing songs in any genre is just about immersion....listen to a bunch of bands in that genre, get into it, go see some shows etc.
Every songwriter sounds more or less like what they enjoy listening to. In music, theft is turtles all the way down.

That being said, writing songs in any genre is just about immersion....listen to a bunch of bands in that genre, get into it, go see some shows etc.
Every songwriter sounds more or less like what they enjoy listening to. In music, theft is turtles all the way down.

^^^
Bingo.
In my experience, when I am really into a new band I have just found and I want to try to write a song in that same style/genre I submerge myself in that bands album(s) and try and find bands that are similar. Plenty of sites around that can easily find related bands for you, lastfm.com is an amazing site for that. If you like the post-rock ambient kind of music, find a band that you like the sound of and search related artists, listen, listen, listen and then listen some more, hit a few shows and pay attention to the way the guitar player is making his/her sounds and go from there. I find that when I listen to older recordings of mine I can sometimes guess what my influences were for that time. try and try again.

What are some "post rock" bands? I'm not familiar with this term. I know "post grunge," but I haven't heard post rock before.

Post rock - making non-traditional music with traditional rock instruments.

Yeah, that. Post-rock has really taken a journey over the years in what it means. The first time I heard it was in the early 90s to describe bands like Slint and Rodan, and a sound that was going on in Louisville and Chicago. Tortoise was another big one. A lot of bands on the Thrill Jockey label... Now I guess post-rock is more atmospheric stuff like Mogwai, GY!BE, TransAm, etc, but even those bands are kinda old now.

"Emo" is another term that's really changed over the years too. The first emo bands I was aware of were offshoots of DC hardcore, like Fugazi and Rites of Spring. Current bands that call themselves emo sound nothing like punk or hardcore.

240v - how do I write 'post-rock' is a huge question, in the same way that how do I write rock would be. If I were looking to give out things I'd consider though, I think it would include things like:

1. Listen to lots of Mogwai and try to work out the guitar parts. They're a classic example. Deconstruct them and try to figure out what chords the arpeggios or riffs are made up from.

2. Mess around with open tunings; play big open chords with ringing notes; think about minor keys, add 7ths to phrases, try and layer counter melodies on top of your main guitar figures.

3. Listen to lots of post rock - bands like Fat Fleet has listed are good examples of the genre. Try not to be limited by the genre though I reckon. Write what feels natural - labels are just labels and if you just try to write in a genre, I think you become a little predictable and like a cliche of that genre.

"Emo" is another term that's really changed over the years too. The first emo bands I was aware of were offshoots of DC hardcore, like Fugazi and Rites of Spring. Current bands that call themselves emo sound nothing like punk or hardcore.

True. I don't listen to anything that could be described as emo as far as I'm aware. The first time I heard Break by Fugazi though, it completely blew me away. I thought it was one of the best introductions to a song/openings to an album I'd ever heard. Probably still do:

The first time I heard Break by Fugazi though, it completely blew me away.

That's pretty cool. I lost touch with them after their first album and haven't really heard alot of that stuff. I've heard their later albums are good though. Saw em a couple times back in the day, but I was mostly just tagging along with other peeps. Brendan Canty is an awesome drummer.

Nation of Ulysses! was and is my favorite DC band.

Both their albums were just amazing hornets' nests of controlled chaos...and they were so smart.
Hardly post-rock though, or maybe it is. I don't freakin know.

Hello fellow post-rock listener :) im into ambient/post-rock...more along the lines of explosions in the sky, caspian, this will destroy you & red sparrows.
what kind of info are you looking for exactly. heres some of my stuff im in the middle of recording stuff now got 4 tracks completed just need to do some drum recording and then onto another 4. main reason why i joined here was to mainly improve my mixing skills as compared to my EP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxcp06EhupA&feature=plcp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fwaqoQb1Ho&feature=plcp

More Demos... by Justin Gadell on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm a huge post-rock fan with Explosions in the Sky, Mono, and Sunlight Ascending being some of my favorite artists. I've recently begun writing some of my own post-rock stuff as well.

As far as songwriting goes, I've heard EITS say that they try to make each song tell a story. I try to incorporate a lot of different "moods" into my songs. In other words, develop dynamics. Keep the listener guessing. Start off with a quiet guitar riff, add in other instruments, slowly build the song up, then tear it back down. Use your crescendos sparingly. The loudest part of a post-rock song is usually the most memorable but it should not be overdone. Part of the beauty of a post-rock song is the journey to the crescendo.

When I write a post-rock song it usually begins with a simple riff that I come up with. That riff can be used as a recurring theme throughout the song, but make sure that it appears in different ways (different FX, more complex versions). When I have my "theme," I begin to determine the key of the song, chord progressions, etc. and then build the song around it. Pick your instruments around the mood of the song. Organs can give a nice relaxed feel, while strings can be used to convey sadness.

Anyway here is a thread with two songs that I have been working on, check it out if you get the chance:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mp3-mixing-clinic/post-rock-songs-353934/

fat_fleet, that is almost good advice but what you shoulda really told him is to find out what bands the bands you like like and listen to them. Nirvana listened to Black Flag, Black Sabbath, and the Pixies. Candlebox listened to Nirvana. Did Candlebox sound like Nirvana? Nay, they did not.

Oh yeah and fat_fleet, before I forget- YOO SUCK!!!

Back