Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater

I'm still a little in shock on this one...

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

:eek:

I think we should organise a forum raid. Some of those people are total crying fags. :laughings:

So it's more about the personalities of the individuals than the music itself? Okay, I get it.

Mike Portnoy was a founding member of Dream Theater and as such the only drummer they ever had, aswell as one of the primary songwriters. I'm not a huge fan of Dream Theater, but I can understand to some why this is a big deal. It's not about personality, it's about the fact that a major player in most facets of the existance of the band for something like 25 years has just left.

I still don't quite understand why grown adults are crying over it though.

Hey! His side projects with Ty Tabor, Platypus and Jelly Jam, were great!

I'd rather listen to those bands than a few of the newer King's X albums...

Sorry man - considering it took ten posts for anyone to even comment on that, I'm going to have to take this as further proof that no one notices Myung. :D

I still don't quite understand why grown adults are crying over it though.

Because people take themselves and their bands too seriously. I just left a cover band a few weeks ago, and it caused such a soap opera with evreyone involved, including the other guys in the band. I was like "Jesus, man. This is just a drummer leaving a freaking cover band for fuck's sakes". But people want to pretend all this shit is way more important than it really is.

Exactly! I'm not even in a band and people cry all the time when
I leave!

...wait a minute--that's someone else...

Because people take themselves and their bands too seriously. I just left a cover band a few weeks ago, and it caused such a soap opera with evreyone involved, including the other guys in the band. I was like "Jesus, man. This is just a drummer leaving a freaking cover band for fuck's sakes". But people want to pretend all this shit is way more important than it really is.

Okay, Rami, I knew if I waited long enough, you would say something I agreed with.

But heck, I didn't have to wait very long at all!

His complaint was something about not having enough time in the lavatory with the right type of rading material.
Why, oh why didn't someone else say that?
Rush, hmm, I'm trying to get into them but the synthy era is pretty synthy. DT - I was hyped to liked them but it just didn't happen - I went back to 70's era The Residents instead.
RAMI - you're out from under covers? COOL!

"The last thing we expected to see was screaming fans at the airport... It's not like we're Justin Timberlake or anything! I mean, let's face it... We're MUSICIANS! It's not that noble of a pursuit..." -Geddy Lee, The Boys in Brazil documentary

:D

"The last thing we expected to see was screaming fans at the airport... It's not like we're Justin Timberlake or anything! I mean, let's face it... We're MUSICIANS! It's not that noble of a pursuit..." -Geddy Lee, The Boys in Brazil documentary

:D

I love that quote. If he really feels that way, it does my heart good. ( I also like the left handed slap in the face to Justin Timberlake. :D I guess he's not a musician then!:p)

Exactly! I'm not even in a band and people cry all the time when
I leave!..
People cry when I JOIN a band. Many start crying at my first audition. :eek:
Okay, Rami, I knew if I waited long enough, you would say something I agreed with.

But heck, I didn't have to wait very long at all!
I knew you'd come around. :D
RAMI - you're out from under covers? COOL!

Well, I was playing in 2 cover bands, and left one. I was too booked to enjoy life. I'd rather make less money, and have more time to waste it. :eek:

Back