Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater

You're in shock over almost two-week-old news? :laughings:

Eh, their track record has been spotty ever since Kevin Moore quit the band, IMO. I have a very hard time caring.

OK, granted, it's not the same caliber as when Miley walked from Hannah Montana, but still a bombshell regardless...

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

:drunk:

I'm a pretty big Dream Theater fan, and I hadn't heard about this. I'm actually a bigger fan of Petrucci and Portnoy individually than I am of the band--and the good thing is that there's no shortage of projects that these guys work on. Neal Morse is probably my favorite artist currently--and all of his stuff has Portnoy drumming. So I'm okay with it.

OK, granted, it's not the same caliber as when Miley walked from Hannah Montana, but still a bombshell regardless...

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

:drunk:

WAIT !! Miley walked away from Hannah Montana??!!
.............oh how will I live?
BTW, who is this Miley and Hannah anyway?

Wow...so I got lost in the "I'm leaving DT" thread over on Mike Portnoy's site/forum, reading post after post after post. While a fair share were supportive "hey, do what you gotta do. Good luck" type sentiments, an even greater share are from people who say there lives are wrecked now! People are crying!

Seriously? Do people not have lives???

Wow...so I got lost in the "I'm leaving DT" thread over on Mike Portnoy's site/forum, reading post after post after post. While a fair share were supportive "hey, do what you gotta do. Good luck" type sentiments, an even greater share are from people who say there lives are wrecked now! People are crying!

Seriously? Do people not have lives???

Not Dream Theater people. Even Rush fans think those guys are fucking dorks. :laughings:

I'm a pretty big Dream Theater fan, and I hadn't heard about this. I'm actually a bigger fan of Petrucci and Portnoy individually than I am of the band--and the good thing is that there's no shortage of projects that these guys work on. Neal Morse is probably my favorite artist currently--and all of his stuff has Portnoy drumming. So I'm okay with it.

Agreed, I thought the DT guys' side projects have been much more interesting than anything DT has done for years now. Petrucci's solo album slays, Portnoy's Liquid Tension Experiment stuff is damned cool and I loved his drumming on the OSI albums, no one notices Myung anyway, Rudess and Petrucci's "...an Evening With" is actually beautiful, and even LaBrie's solo album was surprisingly good. It's just when you put them all together you get predictable, wankfest-laden prog metal by the numbers. They seem to have found a formula and these days they stick to it, come hell or high water. The most I can hole from them is Portnoy's departure shakes it up a bit.

Allow me to agree with you agreeing with me. :)

The funny thing is, I discovered LTE before Dream Theater. I'm in a music store and they're playing this really cool stuff so I asked 'em about it. He told me it was Liquid Tension Experiment. It thought it was a real band and went and bought both their CDs. Only after seeing the "members" did I recognize them as from Dream Theater, so I figured maybe I should check out Dream Theater.

I've got most all of DTs stuff, but the Liquid Tension material is still by far my favorite--and "An Evening with..." is right up there.

Yeah, well, I'm a Rush and Dream Theater fan. Wonder what that makes me?

A hobbit. :D

I like me some Rush. I don't know why. I just do. Early Rush. I don't like their 80's synthy crap.

But Dream Theater is totally unlistenable pretentious shit to me.

What I find weird is the attitude that people have about their favorite rock groups as if they are all married and their fans are their children and if they break up the fans are now from a broken home> Get over it.
I have people that I play with often and I have my own group, but it keeps changing up. Most of the time there are only one or two other regulars and the rest of the band is a pick-up band of people I may have worked with in the past or people that I've heard good things about and we do a quick rehearsal before the gig. I am often called upon to fill in in other bands. That's really the typical way of most musicians.

What I find weird is the attitude that people have about their favorite rock groups as if they are all married and their fans are their children and if they break up the fans are now from a broken home> Get over it.
I have people that I play with often and I have my own group, but it keeps changing up. Most of the time there are only one or two other regulars and the rest of the band is a pick-up band of people I may have worked with in the past or people that I've heard good things about and we do a quick rehearsal before the gig. I am often called upon to fill in in other bands. That's really the typical way of most musicians.

That's all fine and dandy for some local outfit. When you're a huge commercial product with a global fanbase, lineup changes are a big deal.

That's all fine and dandy for some local outfit. When you're a huge commercial product with a global fanbase, lineup changes are a big deal.

So it's more about the personalities of the individuals than the music itself? Okay, I get it.

So it's more about the personalities of the individuals than the music itself? Okay, I get it.

I'm not defending Dream Theater, but no, that's not it at all. If you don't think that different people play stuff differently, well then, yikes.

I'm not defending Dream Theater, but no, that's not it at all. If you don't think that different people play stuff differently, well then, yikes.

Definitely and they often play them differently each time they play them.
When they stop getting along or get bored playing with each other, it's time to move on and try something else. That's no big deal, it has always been very typical. Less so in Rock, but then look at the older groups. They're changing up all the time.

Back